Asking for the last row on a ride (questions)

We ask for the back seat every time we ride 7DMT and the request has always been granted. The CM's seem to have a quick protocol for the request as we are always asked to wait in a certain spot (depending on how they are loading at the time) and then they fill us in when the next train comes around. No CM has ever appeared annoyed by the request and it seems most of them are used to it at this point. We've also asked for row 1 on Soarin' occasionally, but don't do it often as the wait for that ride is long enough as it is. I think if you go in with the mindset that you will ask politely and, if the answer is no, happily take what row you are given, you'll be fine.

I've been to WDW enough that I shouldn't be afraid to ask for a seat on the last row of Big Thunder or 7 Dwarfs, but I am. I am afraid that they won't give it to me, or the cast member will be annoyed, or that it will cause some disruption with the seating process of all the other guests. I don't want to be "that" person, you know?

So I am wondering do the cast members even care? Will they give you the last row if you ask for it? Most of the time I don't care where I sit on the rides but at Big Thunder I hate the first few rows because it doesn't give me enough of that thrill!

I do this on a fairly regular basis and always, ALWAYS, preface the request with, "I don't mind waiting until it's convenient for you..." I have never had a negative reaction and I make sure to thank the CM profusely. I have ended up with them thanking me! Super polite and friendly is always the way to go.

I've been to WDW enough that I shouldn't be afraid to ask for a seat on the last row of Big Thunder or 7 Dwarfs, but I am. I am afraid that they won't give it to me, or the cast member will be annoyed, or that it will cause some disruption with the seating process of all the other guests. I don't want to be "that" person, you know?

So I am wondering do the cast members even care? Will they give you the last row if you ask for it? Most of the time I don't care where I sit on the rides but at Big Thunder I hate the first few rows because it doesn't give me enough of that thrill!

I do it all the time. Cast members are used to it and don’t care, some rides even have separate lines for first and last row. It really is standard operating procedure and you should have no trouble with CMs.

If you clearly don’t ask (just stand in the front row without saying anything despite them telling you to move down) yes you’re going to annoy some people, but when you get to the CM asking “how many people” and ask nicely for your request they’re always great about it in my experience.

You have the same chances of getting an annoyed CM as you do for any other interaction you have with them - pretty much zero.

Last edited:
Nope!
I always ask and they say of course, and just put me to the side for a moment. It's totally worth it, and the CM's never mind.

We do this EVERY time as we have favourites on almost every ride. I have witnessed some mild annoyance once or twice on the faces of CMs, but only ever at Disneyland when there were long lines. I certainly didn't take it personally as it's not like they remember your face or will single you out in front of everyone as a troublemaker! Their job is to move the line efficiently and make sure everyone is safe, so that is what I chalked the mild annoyance up to.

In February, we asked for the first car/row on both Seven Dwarfs and Slinky Dog Dash (it was our 4.5 years old first coasters) and both times the CMs happily obliged and we just had to wait for the next go around.

We ask for the back car at BTMRR almost every time. “Can we wait for the back rows?” Almost always get a Yes. I don’t think I’ve asked at 7Dwarfs. At RnRC we don’t like the back so I’ll ask for the middle or wait in the designated section for the front. I like the middle to back on Everest since you go forwards and backwards, but we’ve only asked once (we usually do single rider and go wherever we’re assigned).

We always ask for last car on Everest. Front car you have to wait, last you don't. They don't care about either.

Im not sure but i was riding solo with a fp on sdd and when I asked the attendant if i could wait for the next car instead of riding uncomfortably close to 16ish yr old female (im male in my 30s) I was paired with the attendant became irate. I was shocked. She told me if I did not get in right then I would have to go to the back of the line. Not sure ill be making any such request again especially on busy rides. Kinda ruined my experience tbh

I hope you reported this CM

We asked for front or back on just about every coaster ride this week, and were happily accommodated every time. Just said “2 in the back row, please” when asked “how many?”

I've asked not to ride in the front few rows at POC and always explained I can wait as I don't want to get soaked. Most CMs take it in stride and quickly seat me elsewhere. If you are polite, calm and willing to step aside until they can fit you in, most CMs will try to work with you.

I usually have no problems with politely requesting a specific seat and I find the CMs are generally pretty accommodating. However, the one ride I don’t *love* making a request is Soarin’. I always ask for the center bay and the first (top) row. I guess I don’t love it because I feel like I’ve got to ask two separate CMs. The first one to whom I make my request will send us down to the center bay. And then I’ve got to ask the CM standing there for the first row.

I always word it by asking “Can we please wait for the first row? We don’t mind waiting through an extra cycle.” My request has always been granted, but I do sometimes notice a sigh or an eye roll or two. Plus, while we wait, I often feel like we’re in the way. They have you stand against the wall and people have to walk past you. Sometimes these people don’t realize why we’re just standing there and they sort of come to a stop not sure if they should walk past us.

I love the top row center of soarin but sometimes I wonder if it’s worth the extra request...

I usually have no problems with politely requesting a specific seat and I find the CMs are generally pretty accommodating. However, the one ride I don’t *love* making a request is Soarin’. I always ask for the center bay and the first (top) row. I guess I don’t love it because I feel like I’ve got to ask two separate CMs. The first one to whom I make my request will send us down to the center bay. And then I’ve got to ask the CM standing there for the first row.

I always word it by asking “Can we please wait for the first row? We don’t mind waiting through an extra cycle.” My request has always been granted, but I do sometimes notice a sigh or an eye roll or two. Plus, while we wait, I often feel like we’re in the way. They have you stand against the wall and people have to walk past you. Sometimes these people don’t realize why we’re just standing there and they sort of come to a stop not sure if they should walk past us.

I love the top row center of soarin but sometimes I wonder if it’s worth the extra request...

You can just ask for B1 (that's the top row, center section). They'll know what it means and at least it's a little less of a mouthful, lol

I usually request the back row on the Safari and Pirates. Always nice and say "by any chance could we ride in the back", the CM's are always fine with it usually always just say "yea no problem".

I always ask for front on 7DMT and never had a problem. The last time, the people ahead of us asked for the front. We just had to wait a little, no eye rolling either.

I've never had an issue asking... frequently ask for front on Everest, and B1 on Soarin'. I think the CMs on Soarin' get it a lot and they can sometimes seem a little exasperated with it, but they always oblige.

Only time I ever asked for back row was my first time on Splash!! The CM was fine with it and so was the other group that was in front of us! I was happy I did, because the people that sat in the front got drenched!! 😬

We ask for the back seat every time we ride 7DMT and the request has always been granted. The CM's seem to have a quick protocol for the request as we are always asked to wait in a certain spot (depending on how they are loading at the time) and then they fill us in when the next train comes around. No CM has ever appeared annoyed by the request and it seems most of them are used to it at this point. We've also asked for row 1 on Soarin' occasionally, but don't do it often as the wait for that ride is long enough as it is. I think if you go in with the mindset that you will ask politely and, if the answer is no, happily take what row you are given, you'll be fine.

I'm much the same way--I'll ask for a different seat assignment on something if I haven't had a chance to ride in my preferred seat so far on that particular trip, but most of the time I just leave it up to chance. I figure it's one of those things where if everyone who had a preference asked every time it would cause a lot of inconvenience, so I just try to keep my own requests infrequent in the hopes that others will follow the same etiquette. I do always want to ride BTMRR in the back at least once per trip, though, ditto Soarin' in B1.

We ask for the back car at BTMRR almost every time. “Can we wait for the back rows?” Almost always get a Yes. I don’t think I’ve asked at 7Dwarfs. At RnRC we don’t like the back so I’ll ask for the middle or wait in the designated section for the front. I like the middle to back on Everest since you go forwards and backwards, but we’ve only asked once (we usually do single rider and go wherever we’re assigned).

That's the other thing--I haven't requested a specific row on EE in years because I always go single rider. That's the only context I can think of in which it would be completely inappropriate to request a specific seat.

I always request the back on BTMR, RnR and EE by asking "Can we wait for the back?" I agree that the only time I've seen an upset cast member is when someone goes into a row on their own in contradiction to where the cast member sends them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter