Aulani Lagoon

Cottager

Hooked on Mickey
I wonder if anyone can shed some light on the netting and protection that the reef in front of the entrance to the lagoon provides. The wife and I are having a debate over the level of protection from "big" creatures entering the lagoon. Looking at the satellite photo of the lagoon, you can see the buoys for the netting in the middle section but both reefs on the sides appear allow "creatures" to move over them. Ok...she's worried about sharks...

Here's the link to the satellite photo of the lagoon: http://goo.gl/maps/wv5PH

I'd like to know the answer to this as well. 'Cause I don't much want to swim with the sharks either.

I don't know specifically about this lagoon however having been in hawaii (Kauai) and snorkeled in the lagoons it didn't seem to be a problem. There were lots of people snorkeling, lots of beautiful fish and no sharks at all. I'm not sure why they wouldn't come into the lagoons but everyone took for granted that they wouldn't.

I don't believe the lagoons are netted. When I was stand-up paddle boarding in the lagoon I saw a couple large sea turtles.

There is no netting at all. Anything can enter the lagoon. Now, it is shallower by the openings and there are some large rocks so typically (!!!) there are not large creatures, i.e., sharks, in the lagoons but just google and you will see that we do get them from time to time. The water is very clear so you easily notice anything large.

Well, I'm not saying anything to the wife about the lack of netting. I think they mentioned nets at Castaway Cay when we were there so she had it in her mind. Also, you may have seen this on the news this past week or trending on YouTube, but this recent video of a fisherman in Hawaii doesn't make her feel any better either: http://youtu.be/puNhvXutVjQ

When I saw this thread earlier this morning, I did a little searching. None of the Ko O'lina lagoons are netted. The reef apparently keeps most large sea-life out, and though there is an opening that allows water to flow into and out of the lagoon, few creatures enter.

However, a sand shark found its way into Lagoon 4 (Aulani is at Lagoon 1) about a month ago for an hour or so.

I don't like sharks (we've had our encounters), but when I arrive on Saturday I plan to snorkel each day, sewage and sharks permitting. :woohoo:

When we snorkeled in the lagoon at the Aulani beach last month, all we could see was sand until we reached the rocks and then there were a few rocks, sand, and 10 fish. There wasn't anything really interesting for a larger creature to eat or visit in the lagoon.

I think it would be pretty tame to snorkel in if you are fearful of sharks.

The buoys that are set up in the lagoon are simply used as a physical barrier to keep the guests as safe as possible when swimming, kayaking, paddleboarding, or snorkeling in the water. There is no netting, as others have previously mentioned. Although extremely, extremely rare, it is possible for sharks and larger sea life to enter the lagoon. I say rare because we were always under the assumption that nothing could get in, but one day we did have a shark in the lagoon. A small one, as the entrance into the lagoon is extremely shallow so nothing big could get in that I'm aware of. But that was a one time occurrence (in our lagoon, another one as someone already stated was found in number 4 right after that incident).

I am a 62 year old retired firefighter, and my wife and I were at Aulani on April 3, 2014. Personally I would not worry as much about any hazard from the sea life as I would about the current that flows out of the lagoons near the edges of the rock jetties. Water flows into the placid looking lagoon and it has to flow out again and due to the size openings of the lagoons current will travel faster there than a lot of swimmers are prepared for.
There are 3 openings from the open sea to the lagoons and the center one has buoys across it. The 2 openings at the sides are not blocked and we witnessed a mother and her approximately 8-10 year old child in a kayak get get pulled out by current beyond the lagoon and could not get back. They lost hold of the kayak and wound up in the water. A brave young Disney Castmember from the rental staff got on a surfboard and paddled out to help her, and 2 male guests swimming near the openings also went to help. To make a long story shorter none of them were able to paddle hard enough to get back into the lagoon and they had to drift out there for about 30-40 minutes until 2 Marriot employees dove in to help them get closer to shore. Three guests (myself included) formed a human chain in the water across the rocks to assist them get in without getting scraped up on the rocks. I recommended to Disney that they get a small boat or jet ski for situations like this and I would advise anybody that goes there to use good judgment and not get too close to the openings to the lagoon. It is a wonderful resort but the ocean demands respect wherever people travel. I did get to snorkel fairly close to a sea turtle in the lagoon so sea life does enter it, I guess the pool is your best option if people are uncomfortable with potential encounters.

We chartered a fishing boat and saw the kayak fisher up close and personal!!! Crazy guy! You wouldn't catch me out there but that's been all he's known!

Agreed with the previous poster that the ocean demands respect. Our kids had never frolicked in a ocean of course loved the waves etc on the north shore but I was very cautious. All it takes is one big wave to knock you down into the undertow and you're under water.

I agree maybe the Lagoon should have some sort of rescue boat but then again you are swimming in a non life guarded area you should be aware of your surroundings and such

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter