Aulani or free marriott

icemann0220

Earning My Ears
Would you stay at Aulani or a Higher end, newer marriott nearby for free for a week? Why, sorry bc it's Disney isn't valid. ;)

Do you mean the Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club?

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...ub/?scid=bb1a189a-fec3-4d19-a255-54ba596febe2

I have stayed at both and there are pros and cons to both resorts.

Aulani is compact and because of this the Marriott feels less crowded.

The Marriott rooms were refreshed two years ago so they are very up to date, light and airy

The lazy river pool at Aulani is amazing, the pools at the Marriott are great but not as nice as the Aulani ones

The restaurants at both are just ok, better places to eat off property

I felt the kids at Aulani were better behaved and better watched, both times we were at the Marriott the kids in the pools seemed so bratty, jumping off the structures, swearing - just kind of trashy and unsupervised. Aulani had more lifeguards so maybe that is why

Maybe book the cheapest room you can at Aulani for a day or two. You will get access to the pools and can use Aunty’s Beach house if you have young kids and have adult time (sunset dinner at AMA AMA is good!)

I agree with PP that the Marriott Ko Olina felt less crowded. We were staying at Aulani and walked over to the Marriott to check it out around dinner time and it was beautiful and much more quiet and calm. The lagoon area felt larger too and the pool was beautiful. It's any easy walk along the beach path over to Aulani, and you can still use the beach in front of Aulani since it's public (not the chairs though). Its also a quick easy walk to Monkeypod and the shops across the street from Aulani. And I agree with the idea that you can still book a meal at Makahiki or AMA AMA for even more of the Aulani experience - or even a spa treatment!

When we stayed at Aulani they were between shows (the new luau hadn’t started yet). We went to the Fia Fia luau at the Marriott Beach Club and loved it. They also have a small famers market there on Mondays. Nice selection of locally grown fresh fruit and veggies as well as baked goods.
I would go for the free stay too. (I am a DVC member and that is one of the biggest reasons why we went! I couldn’t have afforded an eight night stay in Hawaii in such a beautiful resort otherwise.)

Aulani is incredible but Hawaii is more about the destination than the resort. And things are expensive over there--go with free :) You can spend the money you'll save on food and attractions to really make the most of your trip.

And I agree with the idea that you can still book a meal at Makahiki or AMA AMA for even more of the Aulani experience - or even a spa treatment!
Oh man, The spa is a great idea!!! You could do ama ama breakfast, then a spa treatment, or spa then dinner, and spend all day there! Great idea.

We are part of both DVC and Marriott Vacation Club. I assume you are referring to Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club a couple lagoons away. We have stayed at both Aulani and the Marriott. Aulani is definitely awesome. Aunty's Beach House is awesome. The lazy river and kids splash pad/climbing structure is awesome. There's a lot to do. But it feels busy at times! The Marriott seems more relaxing. The pools are still fun! Our son loves all the waterfalls in the pools. You definitely can't beat free, and you can still walk to Aulani to check it out.

Another option, similar to what someone else posted.... Stay for the week at the Marriott, and then rent the cheapest room you can find at Aulani during that same week, but on days one day apart. (Like Monday/Wednesday, or Tuesday/Thursday). Still sleep at the Marriott, but use the facilities at Aulani. You get full use of the resort on both the check-in and check-out days, so you get 4 days of use! AND double the toiletries and leis upon check-in. :)

Oh, and FiaFia (the luau at the Marriott), is really great!

Another option, similar to what someone else posted.... Stay for the week at the Marriott, and then rent the cheapest room you can find at Aulani during that same week, but on days one day apart. (Like Monday/Wednesday, or Tuesday/Thursday). Still sleep at the Marriott, but use the facilities at Aulani. You get full use of the resort on both the check-in and check-out days, so you get 4 days of use! AND double the toiletries and leis upon check-in. :)

A fair option. But respectfully, IMO, I wouldn't say that Aulani's facilities are that much superior to the Marriott's where it would be worth it to pay for a room at Aulani and not stay there. But to the same point, maybe they can at least stay there for one night at the start or end of the trip to get the full experience without a full week's price tag.

I'd most likely go with free and do Makahiki or AMA AMA for dinner one night and hang around for storytelling and live music. I just find it very hard to compete with free!!!

Doesn't storytelling at the fire pit require a room key (for resort guests only)? Just curious :) It's part of the inclusions a resort guest has access to.

Doesn't storytelling at the fire pit require a room key (for resort guests only)? Just curious :) It's part of the inclusions a resort guest has access to.
I never saw anyone check a room key. If you just walk up and sit down, I don't think anyone would ask. Of course, since seating is pretty limited, if I wasn't staying there, I'd probably hang back and stand around the perimeter if guests are needing seats. But there's plenty of room for that, so I don't think you'd be hindering anyone's experience.

And just walking the grounds, maybe sipping a beverage, and listening to the music is quite magical at night too :)

When we stayed at Aulani they were between shows (the new luau hadn’t started yet). We went to the Fia Fia luau at the Marriott Beach Club and loved it. They also have a small famers market there on Mondays. Nice selection of locally grown fresh fruit and veggies as well as baked goods.
I would go for the free stay too. (I am a DVC member and that is one of the biggest reasons why we went! I couldn’t have afforded an eight night stay in Hawaii in such a beautiful resort otherwise.)
No more farmers market at Marriott Koolina since July of last year. The new vendor that runs the marketplace shut the farmers market and the bakery that used to come every monday. Now there is a local craft bazaar every friday and two or three different vendors selling stuff most days of the week.

I own at both Aulani and Marriott Koolina. Much prefer Marriott when we do not have visitors and such. Resort is less crowded, rooms are larger overall, chairs around pool always available, multiple bar b ques available to use all day, multiple hot tubs, sauna, steam room and bigger gym are just some pros. Also pools and hot tubs do not close until 10pm.

No more farmers market at Marriott Koolina since July of last year. The new vendor that runs the marketplace shut the farmers market and the bakery that used to come every monday. Now there is a local craft bazaar every friday and two or three different vendors selling stuff most days of the week.

I own at both Aulani and Marriott Koolina. Much prefer Marriott when we do not have visitors and such. Resort is less crowded, rooms are larger overall, chairs around pool always available, multiple bar b ques available to use all day, multiple hot tubs, sauna, steam room and bigger gym are just some pros. Also pools and hot tubs do not close until 10pm.

I totally agree with you on all points @frank808 especially the pools and hottub closure. There is a hot tub at the Marriott between the sandy beach entry family pool and the adults pool that is so quiet and private at night, I just love that one. Now if only the Marriott had a lazy river pool I would probably not even look at staying at Aulani.

I totally agree with you on all points @frank808 especially the pools and hottub closure. There is a hot tub at the Marriott between the sandy beach entry family pool and the adults pool that is so quiet and private at night, I just love that one. Now if only the Marriott had a lazy river pool I would probably not even look at staying at Aulani.
A better and quieter one for late at night is the hot tub right by longboards. It overlooks the beach and is hidden by hedges right next to the stage in the dinning area of longboards. That is a nice spot when no one is around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter