Aulani Villas & Views -- REVISED 07/22/2017

aboveH20 said:

This made me chuckle too. :) Any other ramblings you care to share about Aulani are certainly welcomed by me!

Researching food options is next on my Aulani to-do list!

This made me chuckle too. :) Any other ramblings you care to share about Aulani are certainly welcomed by me!

Researching food options is next on my Aulani to-do list!

Okay, here are my ramblings . . . I just started reading Michener's "Hawaii" and I think I should have it done by February. Anyone have any other book suggestions for those of us who have a l--o--n--g time until our trip?

Also, need to watch "Blue Hawaii" and of course "Lilo and Stitch". Any other movie recommendations for those of us who think we may explode waiting for our trip?

Watch the DIS Unplugged Podcast aired from Hawaii last month (I think it was last month... time flies tremendously fast around here). It was very informative and had a great live view of the beach and goings on while the guys talked. There were also clips during the show that showed various offerings at Aulani. I won't spoil it.... great for building the excitement!:beach:

Okay, here are my ramblings . . . I just started reading Michener's "Hawaii" and I think I should have it done by February. Anyone have any other book suggestions for those of us who have a l--o--n--g time until our trip?

Also, need to watch "Blue Hawaii" and of course "Lilo and Stitch". Any other movie recommendations for those of us who think we may explode waiting for our trip?

If you intend to visit the Arizona Memorial, Gordon Prange's "At Dawn We Slept" is a good non-fiction account of the events before, during, and after the attack on Pearl Harbor. Even if you don't plan on visiting Pearl Harbor, it will give you a good feel for life on Oahu before the start of WWII.

Although you didn't ask, here are songs I have on my all-too-short Aulani playlist:

"Blue Hawaii" by Willie Nelson
"Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride" from the Lilo and Stitch soundtrack
"Hawaii 5-0" by The Ventures
"He Mele No Lilo" from the Lilo and Stitch soundtrack
"Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World" by Israel Kamakawiow'ole

Watch the DIS Unplugged Podcast aired from Hawaii last month (I think it was last month... time flies tremendously fast around here). It was very informative and had a great live view of the beach and goings on while the guys talked. There were also clips during the show that showed various offerings at Aulani. I won't spoil it.... great for building the excitement!:beach:

I just watched it... thought it said it was dated 7/16/13!

----Paul in Southern NJ

Although most of the filming was done on Kauai, I enjoy: Donovan's Reef with John Wayne and Six Days Seven Nights with Harrison Ford! Thanks for the previous suggestions for reading and music!

I'll start with my easy question. I keep searching for Aulani info. I'm just a peasant, not a DVC member. Does Aulani have its own thread anywhere or do I always just go to DVC and pretend I fit in?

Okay, got that out of the way. I followed the link to your report about Aulani and POA. We're planning to do the same in February (while I'm celebrating a round birthday -- I'm guessing we're close in age) but in reverse order.

1. Do you know how long we can wait to book in hopes of getting a "deal"? While I'd love to rent points, my mother is 88 and lives alone and I need to be able to cancel :worried: and get travel insurance. I know that's not possible with renting. If I need to book today I will, but if I can wait and hope for fall specials without losing the ability to book, I'll wait.

1a. (I won't even ask about category/room suggestions, you covered that very thoroughly and I think we're going to bite the bullet and get ocean view.)

2. Other than helicopter tours, any recommendations for POA excursions?

3. I don't think I remember your mentioning attending a luau. Did you? Recommendations?

4. Top two 'must do' dinners on board and at/near Aulani?

5. Anything else I'm forgetting to ask?:rotfl2:

:confused: AND I'm dying of curiosity. At your DVC tour, why did they give you a lei but tell you not to wear it???

I won't say this is a once in a lifetime trip, but last time I went I saw Don Ho and last time my husband went he was on R 'n' R from Vietnam. We're coming from New York so don't know that we'll want to make the trip again and hope to make the most of this trip.

Thanks for any insights. :)

We just got back from an Aulani/POA combo 2 weeks ago.

The only Luau we went to was Paradise Cove. I picked it as it was so close to Aulani you could walk. But there is also a Ko Olina shuttle that circles Aulani, the JW Marriott, the golf course, the little shopping area and Paradise Cove - so if there is any reason not to walk the shuttle is available. The show was enjoyable. . the food so/so.

As for POA, our favorite meals on any NCL ship is Teppanyaki's. We also had two really great meals at La Cucina on board.

And for us, we love 50s music - so Oh What A Night, on the POA is not to be missed. It is a tribute to the Four Seasons. We had seen it on our two previous cruises on the NCL Pearl, but enjoyed it every bit as much again.

I was surprised just how lovely the POA is, I hope you enjoy your cruise as much as we did. We were on celebrating a round birthday. . .my 50th. :)

Excursions would be kind of hard as everyone has different likes. We were traveling with a set of 9 year olds too. . .

Thanks for the reminder. I started watching it a week or so ago -- need to go back and finish.

(Not sure if I can handle building any more excitement! :laughing: )

If you intend to visit the Arizona Memorial, Gordon Prange's "At Dawn We Slept" is a good non-fiction account of the events before, during, and after the attack on Pearl Harbor. Even if you don't plan on visiting Pearl Harbor, it will give you a good feel for life on Oahu before the start of WWII.

Although you didn't ask, here are songs I have on my all-too-short Aulani playlist:

"Blue Hawaii" by Willie Nelson
"Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride" from the Lilo and Stitch soundtrack
"Hawaii 5-0" by The Ventures
"He Mele No Lilo" from the Lilo and Stitch soundtrack
"Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World" by Israel Kamakawiow'ole

Thanks for the book and music suggestions. I think the Michener book is 800 pages, so I'll be reading it for a while, but you've given me a good suggestion for Book II.

At Dawn We Slept should be interesting because my husband lived in Hawaii when his father was stationed there -- and he was six months old. He doesn't remember much! :confused3

And, my uncle was a Navy ensign in WWII, on "eternal patrol" in the Pacific. It will be very informative reading. Thanks for the title.

Although most of the filming was done on Kauai, I enjoy: Donovan's Reef with John Wayne and Six Days Seven Nights with Harrison Ford! Thanks for the previous suggestions for reading and music!

Good suggestions, thanks.

We just got back from an Aulani/POA combo 2 weeks ago.

The only Luau we went to was Paradise Cove. I picked it as it was so close to Aulani you could walk. But there is also a Ko Olina shuttle that circles Aulani, the JW Marriott, the golf course, the little shopping area and Paradise Cove - so if there is any reason not to walk the shuttle is available. The show was enjoyable. . the food so/so.

As for POA, our favorite meals on any NCL ship is Teppanyaki's. We also had two really great meals at La Cucina on board.

And for us, we love 50s music - so Oh What A Night, on the POA is not to be missed. It is a tribute to the Four Seasons. We had seen it on our two previous cruises on the NCL Pearl, but enjoyed it every bit as much again.

I was surprised just how lovely the POA is, I hope you enjoy your cruise as much as we did. We were on celebrating a round birthday. . .my 50th. :)

Excursions would be kind of hard as everyone has different likes. We were traveling with a set of 9 year olds too. . .

Thanks for the tidbits. POA gets such mixed reviews :worried: . I think we've decided we'll do it knowing that and figure it's a good way to see the other islands without having to repack and fly.

I saw Jersey Boys on Broadway and loved it -- with the possible exception of some of the profancity. Can't wait!

We loved this room!

ocean-view.jpg

Thanks for pointing me to this thread. This is exactly what I was looking for!

Seems like a majority of rooms are considered Ocean View so we should just cough up the points and do it! :)

The lower cost rooms go first. So Non-ocean view studios are the first to go. After that the OV studios go then the 1brs etc... At least that was our experience at the 7 month window.

Thanks for posting your photo! I've added your villa to the list in Post #1.

Gonzalj1's villa 1106 is in the Waianae Building.

No wonder you have the same view.... You are directly under us!

We have a dedicated 2bdrm island view reserved for October and I'm debating about whether to make a room request. There are only 3 of these with photos available on this thread, and it looks like the best view (with a peek at the ocean) is in rooms ending with 81. The others listed end in 51 and the views don't look as nice. Does anyone know if the rooms ending in 75 and 87, which are also in the long wing of the Ewa building also have peeks at the ocean? If I make a request, do I just ask for a high floor in the long wing of the Ewa building, or do I need to be more specific?

We have a dedicated 2bdrm island view reserved for October and I'm debating about whether to make a room request. There are only 3 of these with photos available on this thread, and it looks like the best view (with a peek at the ocean) is in rooms ending with 81. The others listed end in 51 and the views don't look as nice. Does anyone know if the rooms ending in 75 and 87, which are also in the long wing of the Ewa building also have peeks at the ocean? If I make a request, do I just ask for a high floor in the long wing of the Ewa building, or do I need to be more specific?

Bump... anyone know?

I think the dedicated two-bedrooms that are in the long wing of the Ewa Building -- xx75, xx81, and xx87 -- will all have some partial views of the ocean. The higher the floor, the better your chances of seeing the ocean. The lower floors may have some views obstructed by the landscaping, but I think once you are above the 4th floor you'll be OK.

These villas will have the added benefit of giving you views of the Starlit Hui show that is performed on the lawn next to the Ewa Building.

The dedicated two-bedroom villas in the Ewa Building Phase 1 (xx51) will only let you see the island, not the ocean. However, if you are high enough you should be able to see Diamondhead in the distance.

Bump... anyone know?

We stayed in 881 and loved it! I think my pics are posted in message 199 of this thread. I called and made a room request before we arrived, and was pretty specific about the room numbers I wanted.

Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter