• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Aulani

bradly2795

Earning My Ears
Looking at purchasing an Aulani contract as we would almost pay for the contract versus paying cash for an upcoming trip there. If we purchased 300 points at the current incentives we would get the steepest direct discount it appears. Also looking at direct because from what I’ve read here is that direct purchased get current UY points, please correct me if I’m wrong. So if we were looking to book one of the 3 bedroom grand villas next June this seems to be pretty logical. Opinions and advice welcome!

The UY that you choose determines which points you will be getting as that determined current UY points,

For example, Feb to Aug UY start with 2022…Sept to Dec get 2021…once we get to Sept 1st, it’s only Oct and Dec getting 2021 since they will not have started the 2022 UY.

i think it sounds like a great plan if you think you will utilize it beyond the one trip.

The UY that you choose determines which points you will be getting as that determined current UY points,

For example, Feb to Aug UY start with 2022…Sept to Dec get 2021…once we get to Sept 1st, it’s only Oct and Dec getting 2021 since they will not have started the 2022 UY.

i think it sounds like a great plan if you think you will utilize it beyond the one trip.
From our typical travel I believe September would be our best UY so that should work out, with travel typically coming down for Halloween and Christmas. When purchasing direct Ive understood we can pick that as our UY correct? Also with that many points we should be able to book at other resorts at the 7 month mark or most likely we would just continue to return to Aulani every third year and bring our family.

There is an Aulani Facebook group that I follow. Last year there was a great deal with incentives for purchasing 300+ direct points (that could be split into smaller contracts) and you received 2021 and 2022 points. I think it came out to $133-135 a point according to their calculation. I joined the board this year, so I missed the deal, but you might want to check it out in case you aren’t in a rush, and they offer if again this year.

Maybe you plan cash trips way further out than me but if you bought direct today you would need them to do a welcome home trip for you otherwise I can't imagine any rooms are left for an actual full vacation.

Also you always get your current use year points. They might not even let you get a Sept UY at this point as its so close to Sept but you can ask.

Maybe you plan cash trips way further out than me but if you bought direct today you would need them to do a welcome home trip for you otherwise I can't imagine any rooms are left for an actual full vacation.

Also you always get your current use year points. They might not even let you get a Sept UY at this point as its so close to Sept but you can ask.
This would be for a trip planned for June 2023. When trying to gather 4 different families we do try to plan a bit ahead as everyone’s schedules are so varied. This trip would end up being a culmination celebration for two birthdays and a graduation.

This would be for a trip planned for June 2023. When trying to gather 4 different families we do try to plan a bit ahead as everyone’s schedules are so varied. This trip would end up being a culmination celebration for two birthdays and a graduation.

Got it for DVC I book far out but for cash I normally am closer to travel date which is what I was wondering.

With June in mind I would just make getting a room a condition part of my contract with DVC. If they say they can't do it keep pushing because they should be able to make something happen.

Not positive in Hawaii but in Florida you have 10 days to cancel the contract after signing. So you might want to check that if they don't give you a confirmed reservation via your DVC points.

We can't say what exactly is open to book but I will just say its starting to get rough putting together a full week in a GV in Aulani in June 2023.

Got it for DVC I book far out but for cash I normally am closer to travel date which is what I was wondering.

With June in mind I would just make getting a room a condition part of my contract with DVC. If they say they can't do it keep pushing because they should be able to make something happen.

Not positive in Hawaii but in Florida you have 10 days to cancel the contract after signing. So you might want to check that if they don't give you a confirmed reservation via your DVC points.

We can't say what exactly is open to book but I will just say its starting to get rough putting together a full week in a GV in Aulani in June 2023.
I have brought that up to everyone involved, which makes me wonder could we book 4 studios with points? We understand they would not necessarily be connected or close but if we had to do that to accommodate the dates we would be open to that idea.

I have brought that up to everyone involved, which makes me wonder could we book 4 studios with points? We understand they would not necessarily be connected or close but if we had to do that to accommodate the dates we would be open to that idea.
June is very popular so I suggest checking availability before you buy if you are firm on dates. You may need to look into confirmed reservations instead.

We also bought at Aulani because it was less expensive than paying cash. We bought resale about 3 years before our trip, which was this last June. We will probably be selling that contract now, at a nice profit, to buy some points at the new California DVC. I can tell you from personal experience that Grand Villas in June are hard to get. A standard GV is impossible to get, like they are gone the second that 11 months hit if not before because of walking. An ocean view GV in June of 2023 is also going to be very hard to get. I mean unless you care calling an sales agent right now you are going to be out of luck. Seriously, ether call now or wait to vacation till 2024. I'm sure for a 500 or 1000 point sale they will push it thru quickly. But what's left of the GV in June could be gone at literally anytime. It's no secret that the points go up very significantly towards the end of June, so before they go up is very very in demand.

We did the opposite and wished we did what you are trying to do. We stayed on cash and realized we would have had a nice down payment. So GV Standard are already booked for June. There is more availability for Ocean View. Not sure what they could do for a welcome home visit but like others said, now is time to pull the trigger for next June.

There is an Aulani Facebook group that I follow. Last year there was a great deal with incentives for purchasing 300+ direct points (that could be split into smaller contracts) and you received 2021 and 2022 points. I think it came out to $133-135 a point according to their calculation. I joined the board this year, so I missed the deal, but you might want to check it out in case you aren’t in a rush, and they offer if again this year.

Yes, I did that incentive to get 300 unrestricted points. Got 2021 and 2022 as you said.....

This might be controversial, I don't know, but I don't think the Grand Villas are all that spectacular at Aulani. I would much rather have two 2BR villas for roughly the same amount of points.

I think Aulani is a great deal, but if I was buying I would not buy to go every year, I would look at 1/2 or 1/3 and combine years. 300 points is a lot of points

I think Aulani is a great deal, but if I was buying I would not buy to go every year, I would look at 1/2 or 1/3 and combine years. 300 points is a lot of points

But they are unrestricted - so able to book at Riveria and future resorts.......

Piggybacking off OP, because very similar scenario. My DD wants Aulani for her HS grad trip, in June 2025. Our family first time to HI, and my family does not like flying, so it could be a one and done trip from VA. It seems as if owning is just about the only way to book a week in June, based off comments here.

Would you advise renting the points from another owner, or finding a smaller stripped contract, bank the heck out of 24, use 25, if needed borrow 26? For us, who aren't even members yet - first contract in ROFR - I can't see direct Aulani as our direct purchase because not sure that we'd hang on to it forever and would want qualifying points tied to that, if that makes sense? We'd probably try to hang on to it long enough to gift our girls honeymoons if they wanted and then put it back on the market - soo give or take 10 years.

Piggybacking off OP, because very similar scenario. My DD wants Aulani for her HS grad trip, in June 2025. Our family first time to HI, and my family does not like flying, so it could be a one and done trip from VA. It seems as if owning is just about the only way to book a week in June, based off comments here.

Would you advise renting the points from another owner, or finding a smaller stripped contract, bank the heck out of 24, use 25, if needed borrow 26? For us, who aren't even members yet - first contract in ROFR - I can't see direct Aulani as our direct purchase because not sure that we'd hang on to it forever and would want qualifying points tied to that, if that makes sense? We'd probably try to hang on to it long enough to gift our girls honeymoons if they wanted and then put it back on the market - soo give or take 10 years.
Aulani isn't just DVC. You can book normal hotel rooms with cash. There's no reason to get complicated with points.

Aulani isn't just DVC. You can book normal hotel rooms with cash. There's no reason to get complicated with points.
You can also let rental companies know what dates you want. They will quote you a price per point and then work with owners to get a reservation for the dates you want. Might have to go this route if you want a bigger room than a normal hotel room. I would never buy a DVC contract for just one trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter