Aunt Jemima now "Pearl Milling Company"

Someone earlier got it wrong. Traditional corn syrup is made with mild acids and heat.

Not since 1967.

The process for converting starches into sugars was first developed in Japan in the 800s using arrowroot. In 1811, the Russian chemist G.S.C. Kirchoff rediscovered this process when he heated potato starch in a weak solution of sulfuric acid to produce several starch-derived sweeteners, including dextrose. In the United States, this acid conversion method was adapted to corn starch in the mid-1800s and the first corn sweeteners were produced in a plant in Buffalo, New York, in 1866. This process remained the principal source of corn syrup until 1967, when the enzyme conversion method for producing high fructose corn syrup was commercialized. At first, this was a batch process requiring several days. In 1972, a continuous enzyme conversion process was developed that reduced the time to several minutes or hours.

Read more: http://www.madehow.com/Volume-4/Corn-Syrup.html#ixzz6m6qS6wyn

I'm not liking the name it just sounds like too much. My mom and I were talking about it it's weird they chose St. Joe which is located about an hour from me. I suppose the idea was more frontier style with the name and they wanted a place that had that from the past.

I'm about to incur the wrath of some DISers..guess what is in our pantry...:laughing:

Why is syrup derived from corn any more of an abomination than syrup derived from sugar cane, or the sap from a maple tree?

FWIW, the real abomination is that Americans consider corn to be a vegetable. It's a grain.
:scratchin Sugar refined in Canada comes from beets. Beets are a very healthy vegetable; especially the leafy-green tops. Our sugar is practically a salad when you think about it. ;)

Log Cabin is better syrup, and I don't have to worry about offending anyone.

All y'all syrup snobs are missing one of America's truly unique natural syrups: Steens.
shopping

Yup, unrefined cane syrup, aka fine-grade molasses. That'll take the enamel off your teeth, sure enough. (I was raised right in the middle of cane country; baggasse reek and all. If you stop to eat breakfast at any local restaurant in South Louisiana, you'll be offered Steens.)

I always loved chewing cut cane, but I hate cane syrup. The flavor is way too strong. I'm a wimp when it comes to syrup; I actually *like* the "lite" formula maple-flavour corn syrups (which btw, are actually flavored with fenugreek, not maple.)

Last edited:
I always loved chewing cut cane, but I hate cane syrup. The flavor is way too strong. I'm a wimp when it comes to syrup; I actually *like* the "lite" formula maple-flavour corn syrups (which btw, are actually flavored with fenugreek, not maple.)
I bought some fenugreek once. Long story. However, it does have that distinct maple syrup like odor. So does molasses.

Honestly? They could call it $4.99 pancake mix, as long as they keep the recipe the same, I'm ok with it. I can make amazing pancakes from scratch, but sometimes, when it's a Wednesday morning and your in a rush and your brain just can't anymore, it's nice to pull out the box and whip up some quick pancakes.

I only recently found out that I don't have to refrigerate the "maple" syrup I've been buying at the store (usually Log Cabin).

The name makes it look like a generic brand, more Dollar Tree/Dollar General stores instead of Kroger.

As long as the recipe remains the same I’m fine with it. We usually use Krustez because it comes in a large feed an army sized bag at Costco. To those who grew up with dry Buisquick pancakes and waffles, I feel your pain.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter