Avatar experience coming to Disneyland

Wow--removing Grizzly Peak would be quite a project, wouldn't it? What would happen to GRR if that was done? I'm having trouble visualizing it.

Here's a map of that area
grizzly peak.JPG

Wow--removing Grizzly Peak would be quite a project, wouldn't it? What would happen to GRR if that was done? I'm having trouble visualizing it.

View attachment 810549
Yes, it would be massive, and likely not going to happen. I was just thinking big, if it were to be an actual attraction or land like WDW. But I do think it'll likely be like a better version of the Star Wars display at Launch Bay, which would require much less space.

View attachment 810549
I don't want any of what I'm about to say happen, but if they were to use that area, I don't think they would have to remove Grizzly peak necessarily.

They could repurpose the structure and use it as part of the theming for the Avatar area, obviously needing to modify the grizzly bear portion. Grizzly river run itself would fit in nicely with an Avatar themed ride. The redwood area is obviously a good candidate for a walk-through experience, (the forest setting works well).

Like I said, I don't want any of this to happen. I just thought about it a little bit and I was like...huh, I think they could reuse a bunch of what they've got.

I agree with others though and think a backlot experience of some kind is far more likely.

I noticed MiceAge suggested that they could retheme Soarin' to Avatar. Purely speculative on their part. But they had some reasonable arguments for why that might work. I wonder if it has been too recently re-done for Disney to scrap it, but then again it still would exist in Florida and the California crowd seems to appreciate it most when during it's limited time runs of the original film.
Disneyland just spent a sizeable amount on the refurb this summer (almost 2 months) on the screens and computer graphics and the programs for the film. Soarin is staying. Disneyland uses Soarin with the chance to the California film for the spring Food and Wine festival.

I don't want any of what I'm about to say happen, but if they were to use that area, I don't think they would have to remove Grizzly peak necessarily.

They could repurpose the structure and use it as part of the theming for the Avatar area, obviously needing to modify the grizzly bear portion. Grizzly river run itself would fit in nicely with an Avatar themed ride. The redwood area is obviously a good candidate for a walk-through experience, (the forest setting works well).

Like I said, I don't want any of this to happen. I just thought about it a little bit and I was like...huh, I think they could reuse a bunch of what they've got.

I agree with others though and think a backlot experience of some kind is far more likely.
Agreed. Grizzly River Run is very popular and it fits into the park perfectly. First of all, GRR is very close to the GCH no modifications or new construction will occur to GRR. GCH has theme park views. You cannot modify GGR it is splash is. You can make some changes to the external area but to the actual ride path and flow NO. Avator will be in building or in an existing building. The Redwood area is used for the Oggie Boggie parties and it is close to GCH. So that is not happening either.

The Pandora land at AK is way over hyped. Sure glad I didn’t waste time waiting in line for it, I would have been really upset. Wait times for both attractions are generally over 60 minutes standby.

AC isn’t any hotter than SWGE…and the characters area whole lot nicer 😊

The Pandora land at AK is way over hyped. Sure glad I didn’t waste time waiting in line for it, I would have been really upset. Wait times for both attractions are generally over 60 minutes standby.
There is a line to get into the land??

There is a line to get into the land??
Let me clarify…there are lengthy wait times for both attractions in Pandora…the river ride is about as lame as one of the boat rides at EPCOT. FOP…meh. Visually,it’s stunning…very lush and green like most of AK. But it is a very congested area. Just my opinion…not a fan.

But I do agree with all the previous posters about Disney’s terminology…”attraction” generally means a ride…”experience “ a walk through exhibit type thing With maybe some interactive elements.

Let me clarify…there are lengthy wait times for both attractions in Pandora…the river ride is about as lame as one of the boat rides at EPCOT. FOP…meh. Visually,it’s stunning…very lush and green like most of AK. But it is a very congested area. Just my opinion…not a fan.

But I do agree with all the previous posters about Disney’s terminology…”attraction” generally means a ride…”experience “ a walk through exhibit type thing With maybe some interactive elements.

Yeah...you lost me at the "as lame as one of the boat rides at EPCOT" part. o_O :laughing:

Yeah...you lost me at the "as lame as one of the boat rides at EPCOT" part. o_O :laughing:

Exactly - those boat rides are AWESOME. Na'vi River Journey is actually significanly worse than those - though it's only really issue is how short it is. It could use something a bit extra. It's fine to ride if the wait's not too long, though that is rare.

Exactly - those boat rides are AWESOME. Na'vi River Journey is actually significanly worse than those - though it's only really issue is how short it is. It could use something a bit extra. It's fine to ride if the wait's not too long, though that is rare.

Good to know. I haven't been on it. Haven't been to WDW since 2012. I'll keep my expectations in check.

Good to know. I haven't been on it. Haven't been to WDW since 2012. I'll keep my expectations in check.

Definitely do. It's worth seeing though - there is some really cool stuff in it, it could just use a tad more. Try not to wait an hour for it though. Flight of Passage on the other hand is spectacular - you should prioritize that.

I thought Pandora was spectacular even to just walk around in and I'm not a huge Avatar fan. BUT- I've only been at night as my only visit to AK was for an After Hours event. Agree Na'vi River Journey is short and I would be disappointed if I waited 60min for sure. FOP was incredible though.

Last edited:

Yea, some people just strive for as many rides as possible, & some enjoy the vibes. ;)

I recently heard on the "HeyBrickey" (Vibes over Rides) podcast he mentioned that he just got back from 7 days at WDW & only rode 1 ride... The People Mover.
I'm definitely going to ride more than 1 ride, but that's my kinda dude. lol

Yea, some people just strive for as many rides as possible, & some enjoy the vibes. ;)

I recently heard on the "HeyBrickey" (Vibes over Rides) podcast he mentioned that he just got back from 7 days at WDW & only rode 1 ride... The People Mover.

Well, if you're only gonna pick ONE ride....

He made a solid choice.

Have ridden People Mover twice this week and prolly once more tomorrow as we are spending last day at MK since we got rained out on Thursday. I’ve made up it a point to ride all the oldies (country Bears, PM, COP) anything that isn’t longer at DL, especially since this will probably be my last fling at WDW.

Definitely do. It's worth seeing though - there is some really cool stuff in it, it could just use a tad more. Try not to wait an hour for it though. Flight of Passage on the other hand is spectacular - you should prioritize that.

We should hopefully have DAS so our wait will be spent elsewhere, at least. I'm not sure if I'll do FOP. We plan to just stick to rides our son will do along with a few priority rides that my husband and I will take turns on. And honestly, FOP isn't high on my list.

If DCA, I vote for Hollywood backlot. There is so little over there. Plus, the tall structure would draw attention to the park.

I know Carousel of Progress/America Sings is used for storage and a DVC lounge. Any word on a new attraction in that area?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter