• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Avatar made me sick - should I avoid Rise?

pryncess527

DIS Veteran
Title says it all. I didn’t actually throw up but it took me a good 20 minutes to recover from the dizziness and nausea

Now, today is HS and of course I want to try Rise, but my family thinks I’m nuts. None of us have ever ridden it.

Thoughts? Less motion sickness than Avatar? (which was frickin amazing and I’m glad I did it 😝)

I see those two as drastically different attractions FoP is a fast moving, simulator type attractions with massive visual and physical stimuli. Rise is more like riding in a moving vehicle that isn't constantly moving you in different directions and different angles. If you didn't get violently ill on FoP then you should have no problem on Rise.

You really should give it a go since everybody is different. For me, I had to close my eyes a few times on FoP. On Rise I was just fine.

I cannot believe anyone could get sick on ROTR. It just isn't that type of ride. There is a small screen bit which you may want to look up (so you could close your eyes) although it'd be a spoiler!

it's very different - I don't think Rise will bother you. there is one drop - but it's pretty tame.

First couple of times on Avatar, I took Dramamine b4 riding. Helped a lot. But last trip in October I didn't use it and was fine both times I rode. I think relaxing a bit instead of trying to fight the motion helps.

DH did FOP once and never again for him. He had to sit down before we could even walk out the whole exit and he felt bad for several hours after. He has done Ride 4-5 times now with never any issue.

I've come to accept that riding FOP with my eyes closed is a waste of time. The rest of my group can wait in the ridiculously long line and enjoy the ride, I'll go get a snack. ROTR doesn't bother me at all...except for the ridiculously long line part ;)

FOP makes me a little sick, I can deal with it but have to stand still for a minute or two after I get off and breath deep. I rarely ride it any more, it's just not worth it and I didn't think it was all that to start with (maybe because I'm always so uncomfortable on it). I can ride Rise with no problem, another one I don't ride that often but it's just because I've ridden it a lot already.

You will love Rise. I don't know anyone personally who gets sick from it...it really doesn't have sustained elements that could cause it IMO. But I could be wrong. Have fun!!!

On FoP, for the first time, I kept telling myself that it wasn’t real, that my heart should not be alarmed!!

Title says it all. I didn’t actually throw up but it took me a good 20 minutes to recover from the dizziness and nausea

My first few seconds on FoP were a bit unsettling. Then I remembered the introduction story that said it was a 'follow the leader' ride. I located and focused my attention on the 'leader' and then the ride became fun. Watching the leader's movements I could anticipate the motion. Then I felt like I was actually driving the motion rather then just riding along. By the end of the ride I found I could ease my focus on the ride leader and enjoy more of the amazing view.

I would try it. FoP is a simulator, where I can see those prone to motion sickness would have issues.
Rise is totally different and I think you would be fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter