Baseball caps in restaurants?

My girlfriend's gauges had to be plugged for her nursing job at all three places she is per diem at.

I like gauges, minus the gaping ones with crust around them. They're not professional in food service. I have full sleeves, my department requires me to wear a compression sleeve or long sleeves. My art isn't deemed art by everyone else, so it remains neutral in the workplace. It's not professional, just like someone serving food with gaping ear holes.

I believe if he does surgeries he wears plugs, but for his office hours, he usually doesn't. It doesn't bother us. But I agree with food service rules.

My point simply was that you can't judge people based on piercings and tattoos.

I believe if he does surgeries he wears plugs, but for his office hours, he usually doesn't. It doesn't bother us. But I agree with food service rules.

My point simply was that you can't judge people based on piercings and tattoos.

This :))

Wore a hat/visor every dinner this past week. And not the only male wearing one. WDW probably expects it and have never had an issue with it.

Honest question....what makes wearing a hat indoors rude?

I think a previous poster said years ago when men would come in to eat after working outside, it was rude to wear a hat because they make have dirt and bugs on them. Makes sense. Now a hat is just an accessory like a scarf or mickey ears.

I'm turning 40 this year, so I grew up thinking this was rude too. I may have even, sadly, judged someone on occasion.

Once I really thought about it, though, I realized it seems silly to continue this. It's not the same as chewing with your mouth open or putting your feet up at dinner. It's the same as wearing a scarf or other accessory.

I am huge on manners, I just don't get this one. I don't think that just because we've always done something we should continue to do it.

I've seen many times in the elevator up to California Grill where men were asked to remove their hat. At least five.

It's considered polite, and it may happen at any signature- including park restaurants Le Cellier, Brown Derby and Monsieur Paul's. Other places do not have a dress code; he may be asked to remove it, but most likely not.

...I'd consider it rude. I'm a woman, but if I'm wearing a casual hat, I would certainly take it off in any resturaunt, and fix my hair a bit in the bathroom beforehand. And my hair is usually a disaster after a day in the parks under a hat.

I know when Bum Phillips was the head coach for the Houston Oilers, he wore his cowboy hat in any open air stadium but never in the Astrodome. Why? His mama told him to remove his hat indoors.

Maybe if you look at why you are wearing a hat? Is it just an accessory or fashion statement or are you wearing it because it is sunny outside and you want to keep the sun out of your eyes or off your head? If you are wearing it outside for sun protection, you are now indoors and don't need to wear it inside. If it is your fashion statement, wear it indoors and be glared at by your mama.

Honest question....what makes wearing a hat indoors rude?

I think a previous poster said years ago when men would come in to eat after working outside, it was rude to wear a hat because they make have dirt and bugs on them. Makes sense. Now a hat is just an accessory like a scarf or mickey ears.

I'm turning 40 this year, so I grew up thinking this was rude too. I may have even, sadly, judged someone on occasion.

Once I really thought about it, though, I realized it seems silly to continue this. It's not the same as chewing with your mouth open or putting your feet up at dinner. It's the same as wearing a scarf or other accessory.

I am huge on manners, I just don't get this one. I don't think that just because we've always done something we should continue to do it.
Often times they are dirty, sweaty and salt stained. Probably smelly too.

Often times they are dirty, sweaty and salt stained. Probably smelly too.
So are shoes, but those don't have to come off.

I find it a silly formality. But for those wondering from whence it came, hats were removed to signal to the host that one intended to stay. Keeping a hat on was akin to being ready to bolt at any moment. At least that's one interpratation I read on the internet.

Either way, I think it's fine to wear a hat indoor and won't be clutching mah pearls over hat wearers anytime soon.

Before you judge women especially, keep in mind that some are wearing hats with hair to cover chemo/alopecia baldness. Those hats may look ill mannered but make a hot day in a theme park or pool doable for hair loss sufferers but cannot be removed.

1) Alas, this topic comes up every now-and-then.
2) I am of the Old School and believe men and boys should remove their hats in restaurants.
3) But, a lot of people do not take them off their head.
4) You won't be thrown out for wearing a ball cap, but polite society says to take it off.

We had dinner last night at La Hacienda de San Angel and I counted 4 people with baseball hats on as we were taken back and seated. No one else seemed to care or at least they hid it well - as they should. I'd much rather spend the energy it takes to criticize others by enjoying my dinner and my family. :)

Wow, I've read some threads, and then I've read some threads.

You have absolutely no right to assume or expect someone to take a ballcap off- If you judge someone by that, you yourself don't have very good manners. If you can get that worked up over a HAT, you either have issues, a stick up your ....or nothing better to concern yourself with.

You know what I think is RUDE? Some of you that are not SELF AWARE, stopping short, stopping in the middle of a path, not allowing people to get by, not thinking about who is behind you? I'm willing to bet that some of the older people that concern themselves with a hat are privy to just this.

I wear my hat as part of my shirt, my shorts, pants, shoes, socks- and I'm not taking those off, and I'm certainly not taking my hat off to please anyone.

Back in the day, over a friends house or whatever, when asked to take off my hat at the table- their house, their rules, I understood.

I paid the same price as you for the same meal. If you don't like my hat, turn your eyes and mind your own business. It's that simple. Too many people are overly opinionated, geeze, just worry about you!

I'm showing my age, apparently. I was raised that gentlemen removed their hats when indoors. And would never wear them at the table. And gentlemen carried a comb, to use when necessary. But since there isn't a dress code, then I guess everyone is free to do whatever they want.
Absolutely, but it isn't necessarily just an age thing. My 22 and 20 year old boys automatically remove their caps the moment we enter any kind of building. Baseball caps provide great protection against the sun but last time I looked there is no sun indoors.

Still this is a personal choice and I have no issues with other people wearing their caps in the shower if they want to. A baseball cap inside a restaurant will have no impact on my enjoyment of my meal. :)

Whatever makes you happy and doesn't interfere w others

You are on vacation! In Disney! Have an awesome time!

This thread has been really funny to read. Not one person who is APPALLED(!!!) that someone would wear a hat in a restaurant can give even the slightest logic behind their stance. And "because I was told so" and "it's good manners" are just empty statements, not sound reasoning.

Fortunately for minorities, those with a differing sexual preference, etc, not everyone has decided everything should stay as it's always been just because they were told so. Please don't think I'm trying to equate those things in any way. I'm just saying the logic of "well that's how I was told it should be and it always has been" isn't sufficient reasoning to justify the continuation of anything.

I wonder whether those gentlemen who insist that removing ones hat is a required courtesy also return to their hotel room to change into their jacket and tie? Or do they just keep them in a locker at the park?

Because back in the fifties and early sixties, that was the norm. Gentlemen did not go out for dinner at any restaurant above the level of diner/deli/coffee shop without at least a jacket and normally a tie. That custom started dying in the sixties. I don't remember when it started being acceptable to wear hats at casual restaurants, but it is.

Customs change. There's a difference between a social convention (like hats, or how you hold your soup spoon, which don't impact others beyond the violation of convention) and objective courtesies (like holding doors open or apologizing for accidentally bumping a stranger, which do directly involve others).

Hat in a CS wouldn't faze me at all. Not even sure I'd notice. I was raised with very strict manners. But I pay a lot more attention to how considerate people are of others. Do you hold the door for someone (man, woman or child, don't care), do you offer someone a seat who may need it more than you? Etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter