Becoming a Better Sarah ~ 2015 Journal (The End)

I tried the 30-second walk breaks a couple of times and wanted to die (exaggeration, but you get my point). I am right there with you on those. Maybe try changing your intervals by 10-15 seconds instead of 30?

That's a good suggestion - thanks! I was pretty much automatically going for 30 seconds because that's the shortest interval with my Garmin, but I could easily just use the interval timer on my phone instead. Maybe I'll try 5:30/0:45 or 5:45/0:45 tomorrow and see how that works for me.

For me, a couple of terrible runs with the 30-second walk breaks were enough to accept the fact that 1-minute walk breaks seem to be what my body prefers. ::yes::

I've used 30-second breaks before, but that was forever ago. I really do like the 1-minute walk breaks (which is why I'm sticking with them for my long runs) ... I'm just nervous that it's going to be hard for me to go from 1-minute walk break to nothing. I figured 30-second walk break would be a good transition, but if that's too short for me ... I'll just have to hope that once I'm used to running for a longer period of time, I'll be okay dropping from 1-minute to nothing.

First, I wanted to say I re-read my post above and I feel like my tone might be able to be construed as *****y or condescending but that wasn't my intent and I hope you didn't take it that way. I was just excited to share with you this idea (the insoles) because I thought it would be helpful to you. :) So I apologize if you happened to take it that way....and if you didn't then good. ;) I totally understand researching it, etc., etc......heck I'm the type of person that gets a prescription from the doctor and then researches it before I fill it so I get that. I also understand the frustration in the fact that $150 running shoes aren't perfect just how they are. Thankfully the insoles last for several pairs of shoes.

I think consistency and going out too fast is a hard thing to overcome. I struggle with both.

Congrats on the 7.56 miles and the fastest 10k! That's soooo great. I am really enjoying seeing you progress and your determination is really motivating to me!

I love your graphic for scheduled runs/workouts/etc. With my work schedule I'm having to be more conscious about planning my work outs/runs so I might need to come up with something like that. Right now its just floating around in my head.

First, I wanted to say I re-read my post above and I feel like my tone might be able to be construed as *****y or condescending but that wasn't my intent and I hope you didn't take it that way. I was just excited to share with you this idea (the insoles) because I thought it would be helpful to you. :) So I apologize if you happened to take it that way....and if you didn't then good. ;) I totally understand researching it, etc., etc......heck I'm the type of person that gets a prescription from the doctor and then researches it before I fill it so I get that. I also understand the frustration in the fact that $150 running shoes aren't perfect just how they are. Thankfully the insoles last for several pairs of shoes.

I totally did not take it that way at all. Like I said, I'm just being stubborn about this. I don't like the idea that I have to buy something else, so I'm resisting all of the awesome insole suggestions because I'd rather think that the running store is wrong and I'm right.
My head is a very weird place.

I think consistency and going out too fast is a hard thing to overcome. I struggle with both.

Thank you for sharing. It's definitely something I want to work on, but I know it will be hard to overcome. I'm trying, though, and that's all I can do.

Congrats on the 7.56 miles and the fastest 10k! That's soooo great. I am really enjoying seeing you progress and your determination is really motivating to me!

Thank you! I'm really happy that I've been able to progress so much and I love being able to share it with other people who get why I'm so excited!

I love your graphic for scheduled runs/workouts/etc. With my work schedule I'm having to be more conscious about planning my work outs/runs so I might need to come up with something like that. Right now its just floating around in my head.

Oh, I schedule everything. Runs, workouts, house cleaning, trips to Starbucks, meals ... I love scheduling things. I'm basically a scheduling and organization nut. It's the only thing that works for me.

Running: A Shopping List

It’s been a while since I’ve posted anything particularly girly, so I figured I’d share my running shopping list. I’ve divided it into categories – winter running, runDisney events, and “might buy.”

Winter Running:

• Tights, Size M – I currently have two pairs of tights – a size L fleece-lined pair that I love but can only wear with certain skirts because they fall down, and a size M Old Navy pair that fit pretty well. I want at least one more pair (two if I can get them cheap), and I think I need the size medium (yay!).
  • Hat – I wear my regular winter hat to protect my head from the cold. My hair becomes a gross mess, and if I have to go somewhere after my shower … I’m wearing the same gross sweaty hat. So I would like a dedicated running hat, preferably one with a ponytail hole (if I do my Turkey Trot later this month I think they give you a hat, so I may end up wearing that if it’s not too embarrassing ... but no ponytail hole in that one).
  • Rain/Snow Hat – Like a baseball cap type hat. I’m currently running in a baseball cap in the rain, and it’s fine, but it gets really gross and I’ve kinda ruined a perfectly good hat by doing that. So I want one of those running-specific moisture-wicking whatever baseball-type running hats to wear when there’s something coming down from the sky (it will be more for rain than snow, because I’m afraid of running when it’s actively snowing, but if I do decide to run in the snow, I’ll wear it then too)
  • Gloves – Same situation as hat – I wear regular gloves (although I do have two pairs of gloves so I can wear a different pair later in the day), and I want to get gloves that I only wear for running. I don’t need them to be special moisture-wicking running gloves, and now that I have the Garmin I certainly don’t need smartphone-friendly gloves, but if I can get running gloves for cheap (like less than $5 … preferably a lot less), then I’ll buy them. Otherwise it’s the same Old Navy fleece gloves I wear normally, just in a different color.

RunDisney:
5K: Ariel DisneyBound, Pink Dress

• Pink Shirt – this will need to be an in-person purchase because the color needs to match my skirt pretty well. I’ll bring some fabric with me on my next few shopping trips and hopefully I’ll find a shirt that matches. Something with white stripes on the shoulder would be ideal (I’m skipping the puffy shoulders because I don’t hate myself that much), but if I can’t find it I’ll live without (or maybe put on some tape).
  • White Tights/Capris – Because, y’know, there’s white under the pink in the dress. Not knowing what the weather will be, I don’t know if I should get tights or capris. I’ll probably get whatever I can find more easily at a reasonable price. Assuming I can find something white, that is … not a popular color for workout clothes. No idea why ... it's not like it gets really sweaty and dirty easily
10K: Dumbo DisneyBound
  • Light Gray Tights – Definitely going for tights on this one because I already have gray capris (but the wrong color). If it’s too warm for tights, I’ll just wear my dark gray capris and be fine with it ... but because my shirt is a lighter gray, lighter gray bottoms are preferable. Bonus points if I can get something with any sort of yellow or red accents.

Might Buy:

• New Shoes – the Saucony Guide 8 (my current shoe) is on sale because they’ve got a new model that just came out. I don’t know if I want to buy another pair of these shoes to see if they really are the right shoe for me or if I want to be fitted again and/or try another shoe. It’s a rough decision, but also one I don’t necessarily have to make right this second.
  • Insole – see recent discussions. This is really a big maybe for me because I am hesitant for a few reasons (money and not having felt like I’ve needed them in previous shoes are two of the reasons), but if I’m going to stick with these shoes, it may be a good investment.
Of course, my budget right now is non-existent, so I have no idea when I will buy any of this stuff, but … this is what’s on my radar (I’m hoping a good Black Friday sale will knock some of this off my radar in a few weeks, but we shall see - that'll depend on both the sales and any changes in my budget).

I don't have any less than $5 options, but I did buy a pair of running gloves at Target a few weeks ago in their athletic section. They were in the men's athletic section though but size small. They were like $14 and had the little finger things that work with your Iphone.
They seemed cheap to me at the time because earlier that morning my hubby was shoe browsing at a running store and all their gloves were like $50 EEP.

I also found a thick earband/headband thing in the women's athletic dept that had a ponytail hole. I am ashamed that I did not notice the price since at some point during my target runs it all becomes a blur of throwing things into my cart. Which is why I try not to go too too often.

I don't have any less than $5 options, but I did buy a pair of running gloves at Target a few weeks ago in their athletic section. They were in the men's athletic section though but size small. They were like $14 and had the little finger things that work with your Iphone.
They seemed cheap to me at the time because earlier that morning my hubby was shoe browsing at a running store and all their gloves were like $50 EEP.

I also found a thick earband/headband thing in the women's athletic dept that had a ponytail hole. I am ashamed that I did not notice the price since at some point during my target runs it all becomes a blur of throwing things into my cart. Which is why I try not to go too too often.

Oh, Target. I love Target. I was just there last week ... although, mostly food shopping, not really clothing shopping. I have to head back there for a trip to the athletic section. Thanks!

The Men's athletic section for some reason had way more choices for cold weather gear which I found odd? But if you don't mind neutral black and gray then who cares right?

Just wanted to say I'm joining in on following along in your journal. I've never been on the journal page and discovered that a bunch of runners that I follow are on here including you.

Just wanted to say I'm joining in on following along in your journal. I've never been on the journal page and discovered that a bunch of runners that I follow are on here including you.

Hi Ryan! Welcome to the WISH journal section of the boards!
There are a lot of really great people here who share their journeys and running progress - including a lot of people who are on the runDisney boards. It's a pretty cool group of people!

November Goal Achieved: 90 Minute Run

Today I achieved one of my November goals – a 90 minute run. Here are the details (according to Garmin):

Total Time: 1:32:01 hours (Moving Time: 1:31:38 hours)
Distance: 7.78 miles
Average Pace: 11:50/mile (Average Moving Pace: 11:47/mile)

Splits:
Mile 1 – 11:25
Mile 2 – 23:02 (11:37)
Mile 3 – 35:12 (12:10)
Mile 4 – 46:30 (11:17)
Mile 5 – 58:21 (11:51)
Mile 6 – 1:10:37 (12:16)
Mile 7 – 1:22:29 (11:52)
7.78 – 1:32:01 (9:32)

Thoughts:
Last week’s long run was 88 minutes, so this wasn’t a huge step up, but it was a mental hurdle to overcome. I did have a few rough spots, but I just kept reminding myself to keep going and I did okay.
I went out hoping for 8 miles, but knowing that was a long shot because it would require a pace of 11:15 or faster, which was a more than 0:15/mile faster than last week. So I figured I'd settle for whatever I could get.
I don’t know if it was because I had a larger-than-usual pre-run snack (see below) or because I had gotten close to this length of run before, but I really never felt like I couldn’t do it. I knew once I hit 3 miles that 8 miles wasn’t gonna happen unless I added on 5+ minutes, but I knew that 7.75 was a possibility, so I kept going strong. I did manage to make it further along my path than ever before, which was pretty cool, and even though it wasn’t my fastest run ever (and I did make some mistakes in route planning later in the run), it was good.

Nutrition Strategy:
Pre Run – Honey Stinger Caramel Waffle
Mid-Run – Jelly Bellys (@ 59:00 minutes)
Post-Run – Sport Beans (1/2 pack)

Worked out fine for me, although I didn’t love the taste of the waffle. I probably could have gone longer before my mid-run refuel, but I figured that I should refuel before I hit the hour mark.

Outfit: Tights, Skirt, Short Sleeve Base Layer, Raw Threads Hoodie, Jacket - I didn't need the jacket (or the gloves that I had put in the pockets), but it was easier not to take it off. Outfit was definitely fine, but a little warm.

Overall Run Assessment: Success! I felt like I could have gone another few minutes to hit 8 miles, but my sister was waiting for me and I didn’t want to make her wait too long. I definitely think that I am prepared for a 90 minute run at Disney.

Today I achieved one of my November goals – a 90 minute run. Here are the details (according to Garmin):

Splits:

Thoughts:
Last week’s long run was 88 minutes, so this wasn’t a huge step up, but it was a mental hurdle to overcome. I did have a few rough spots, but I just kept reminding myself to keep going and I did okay.
I went out hoping for 8 miles, but knowing that was a long shot because it would require a pace of 11:15 or faster, which was a more than 0:15/mile faster than last week. So I figured I'd settle for whatever I could get.
I don’t know if it was because I had a larger-than-usual pre-run snack (see below) or because I had gotten close to this length of run before, but I really never felt like I couldn’t do it. I knew once I hit 3 miles that 8 miles wasn’t gonna happen unless I added on 5+ minutes, but I knew that 7.75 was a possibility, so I kept going strong. I did manage to make it further along my path than ever before, which was pretty cool, and even though it wasn’t my fastest run ever (and I did make some mistakes in route planning later in the run), it was good.

Nutrition Strategy:

Worked out fine for me, although I didn’t love the taste of the waffle. I probably could have gone longer before my mid-run refuel, but I figured that I should refuel before I hit the hour mark.

Outfit: Tights, Skirt, Short Sleeve Base Layer, Raw Threads Hoodie, Jacket - I didn't need the jacket (or the gloves that I had put in the pockets), but it was easier not to take it off. Outfit was definitely fine, but a little warm.

Overall Run Assessment: Success! I felt like I could have gone another few minutes to hit 8 miles, but my sister was waiting for me and I didn’t want to make her wait too long. I definitely think that I am prepared for a 90 minute run at Disney.
Great job! I just ran 8.4 miles this morning but didn't look at my splits just yet. I haven't tested much with the nutrition during my runs yet. I know a lot of people use gu but I've never used that so I don't know. I need to look into that a little more.

Great job! I just ran 8.4 miles this morning but didn't look at my splits just yet. I haven't tested much with the nutrition during my runs yet. I know a lot of people use gu but I've never used that so I don't know. I need to look into that a little more.

Thanks!
Great job on the 8.4 miles - that's pretty awesome!

In terms of nutrition ... I started getting sick after my runs about 5-6 months ago, so that's when I started working on a nutrition plan. I started off eating crackers before the run and jelly beans during and after the run and that worked okay, and then a few months later I tried sport beans after the run and decided that those were even better than the regular jelly beans (although I can't eat the sport beans during the run). I started trying new things before my run a few months ago when I started having trouble with the crackers. So far my favorite is the Clif Shot Gels, which is good because that's what people say runDisney uses, but the honey stinger waffles are my second favorite.
I haven't tried the gu stuff because I can't eat any of it, but I do know that a lot of people use them successfully. I think its worth buying a few different things and trying them out to see what works best for you.

Awesome job, Sarah! Good idea keeping the detailed notes. :thumbsup2

Thanks!
I always write down a lot of detailed notes after my run and then write them down in my running journal ... which I rarely look at again. Now that I have it written here, I may actually look at the notes again...

Splits:

Thoughts:

Nutrition Strategy:

Congrats on achieving your goal! I hope things continue to go well for you.

Progress Update: 11/9 – 11/15
upload_2015-11-16_12-17-44.png
Once again, I can’t leave well enough alone, so in addition to my summary graphic, I’m also doing a small daily recap (not so small on some days).

Monday 11/9: Nothing too exciting. I started my day off with a bad breakfast and didn’t eat well throughout the day, but I’ve done worse. Exercise for the day was a 30-minute Cardio Barre video, of which I was only about to do about 19 minutes, and then another 10-minute video later in the day (for a total of 29 minutes). Not as good as one 30 minute session, but still a move in the right direction.

Tuesday 11/10: Ran in the morning, had a decent rest of the day, except maybe a little too much snacking.
Run Recap: 2.94 miles in 32:01 minutes (10’53” pace) – This run consisted of a 12-minute speed interval run, a 1-minute walk break, and a 19-minute run using 5:45/0:45 intervals.
For those of you who have not yet memorized every single NYTimes article I've shared, my speed interval run consists of 30 seconds easy run, 20 seconds medium run, and 10 seconds all out run, repeated for 5 minutes. This is followed by a 2 minute active recovery (I do a walk break), and another 5 minute interval session for a total of 12 minutes. Additional interval sessions can be added as you progress. My goal is to do this once every other week from now on, and to add an additional 5 minute interval every other speed run (aka every 4 weeks). Speed runs will be followed by a 1-minute walk break and then approximately a 20-30 minute easy-to-medium run, depending on the day (this run was a little shorter because I'm not wild about rain).
Makes sense, right? And I guess it worked, because I got myself my fastest pace ever!
Now if only I could get my Garmin to pick up a GPS signal so that I don't have to track my runs using MapMyRun... (I did update the software and it’s been working okay since then, so we’ll see if it keeps working or decides to be a PITA again)

Wednesday 11/11: Started off the day with a decent breakfast, but had some junk food for snack. The good news is … I tracked dinner! I didn’t track all of my snacks, but I haven’t tracked my dinner in about 2 months, so this was a triumphant day in my food tracking. In terms of exercise, today was planned as a low intensity day, so I decided to just walk to the mailbox and back (because I had something that needed to be mailed) – although once I got home and had taken off my boots I realized that I probably should have walked a few extra blocks for a little more fresh air and exercise. Oh well.

Thursday 11/12: I woke up this morning not wanting to run, which is always a great feeling. I went out and did it … but it’s a good thing I wrote down my notes right after the run, because a few hours later I could barely remember the run.
Run Recap: 3.98 miles in 46:01 minutes (11’34” pace) – This was supposed to be a consistency run … but it was not even remotely consistent. I decided to try having my Garmin display current pace instead of average pace, with my plan being to look at my pace at the end of every song (although I did check during songs occasionally), and I really was all over the place. I wanted to be between 10:20-10:40 during my run intervals (which I hoped would give me an average pace of around 11:15ish with the walk intervals), and while I was able to do that for the first few runs, I couldn’t keep up with it once I got about 15 minutes into the run, and then once I realized I was going too slow and tried to speed up, I found myself at about 9:50 a few times, which is something I know I can’t maintain. I think that for my next consistency run, I need to use the first run interval to figure out what my pace should be that day, and then try to get my subsequent run intervals close to what my first one was (which should also help me work on eliminating my tendency to go out too fast), and that way I know that I’m not aiming for a pace that just isn’t in the cards for me on a particular day.

Friday 11/13: Today’s exercise was a 25 minute beginner Pilates video. I’ve done this video a few times before, but I think I did a lot better today than I have in the past. I’m finally starting to get the hang of rolling like a ball! Seal is still beyond me, though … maybe I need to try making seal noises while I do it, see if that makes a difference.
Weigh-in was up a drop, but not enough for it to be a big deal.

Saturday 11/14: Rest days are the best! I did some stretching during the day and a longer stretching video before bed, but mostly I took it easy and it was great.

Sunday 11/15: Overall a decent day, minus the pizza for lunch. But both slices that I had were veggie slices, so that totally balances out the cheese, right? Anyway … my morning run was really good and it started the day off in a good place.
Run Recap: 7.78 miles in 1:32:01 hours (11’50” pace)Recap was already posted, so I won’t rehash it.

General Comments:

1. There has been a lot of talk on here lately about shoes. It’s something I’m thinking about a lot … and I shouldn’t be. I haven’t even hit 200 miles on these shoes. I’ve got at least 150-200 miles left. In 100 miles I can start thinking about what I want to do about new shoes … but that’s still a few months away. (That said … Beth is getting new shoes this week, so I’ll have to find a balance between letting her make her own decisions and using my experience to help her decide)
  2. Since I’ve been focusing on stretching this week, things have inevitably come back to yoga. I’ve done a few yoga-inspired stretching videos, and I think I’ve figured out why I have such a mental block against yoga. I can’t get the hang of downward facing dog. Which is such a basic yoga move and really shouldn’t be hard for me … but it is. Once I get to that move … I’m done. It’s hard to not be able to do something so basic. Now that I’ve identified the problem … I need to figure out if this is something insurmountable or if I should try to find a way to make yoga work for me.
  3. Cheese serving total for the week is 4. It was 0 until Thursday night … but once Thursday night hit and I hadn’t had cheese since Sunday, I suddenly decided that cheese good all the time. And that’s the second thing I need to work on with cheese. I can go a few days without cheese. But once I’ve gone 3-4 days without cheese, I decide that I can have all the cheese I want for the next 2-3 days. That’s not a good thing. So I need to work on rationing my cheese servings, even if I haven’t had cheese in a while. I think that for next week the rule will be that I can’t have cheese two days in a row (unless I unexpectedly get served cheese for dinner, which can happen pretty easily in my house). We’ll see how well I can stick to that, especially later in the week.
And now, for my schedule for the upcoming week:
upload_2015-11-16_12-18-24.png
It’s going to be an interesting week. We’re headed to the running store on Tuesday, which will mean some walking just because Manhattan. And I'll be back in the city on Thursday. I usually do my short run on Tuesday, so I’ll have to make an executive decision on tonight whether to run Tuesday/Thursday or to push it off to Wednesday/Friday so that I don’t end up super exhausted. I’ll probably still do Tuesday/Thursday, but we’ll see.

I've been thinking about orthotics/insoles/whatever but haven't even known where to start - so thanks for the tip! I'll look into the Powersteps and see if maybe they can help me.

Thanks!
I use Superfeet, in all that I wear. I have a high arch and they work well for me. The berry colored ones are designed for women and I use those in my running shoes and casual sneakers. I really can't get by in flats, superga's or my Sanuk's that I wear around the house without the smallest super feet insert. The ones for heels are a must and I truly appreciate them in boots, too. Love love the large flat black in riding boots.

I use Superfeet, in all that I wear. I have a high arch and they work well for me. The berry colored ones are designed for women and I use those in my running shoes and casual sneakers. I really can't get by in flats, superga's or my Sanuk's that I wear around the house without the smallest super feet insert. The ones for heels are a must and I truly appreciate them in boots, too. Love love the large flat black in riding boots.

Thanks for the suggestion/insight! I actually had a little arch pain during my run today, so I was thinking about insoles again today. I may have to go to the running store next week anyway, so I'll ask them about the Superfeet.
Thanks!

I stumbled across your journal the other day while home sick from work and just finished reading through. I wanted to tell you that I find your commitment to be very inspiring. I am one of those who sets all kinds of goals and when I don't achieve them I give up and then start again sometimes months later. I started taking body measurements and have pulled back on some of my goals and have found success with both.

My daughter so went to pts for her knee and then later for her hip. Her therapist said that a lot of females have issues with their knees due to weak hamstrings and quads because of the way we are built. She did a ton of core work for her hips and quad and hamstring work for her knee and as long as she keeps up on it she is pain free.

I feel your pain on giving up cheese, I am such a cheese junkie!!! Giving up cheese is like parting with a friend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter