Beginning 9/13 All DCL Cruisers to Bahamas Must Take Covid Test at Port

I have seen all the information about the Dream and the Wonder, but we are scheduled to sale on the Magic out of Miami in October. I’m really wondering if that cruise will happen.

Wow you are correct!! How will this even be possible to get results back that fast? My last Walgreens test a week ago took 72 hours. I imagine you would need to use the Inspire option going forward to prevent the highly likely risk that other vendor’s test results would not be back in time.

Also, myself and most people who have already sailed under the recent protocols can easily miss this change from 5 to 3 days. Yikes!!!
Carnival just changed to 48 hours for testing!

Been saying this:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/new-cdc-guidance-re-testing.3850664/post-63322257
https://www.disboards.com/threads/new-cdc-guidance-re-testing.3850664/post-63325786
Really, at this point, if you are looking for a cruise, you need to be able to adapt to the rule changes on the fly. If not, wait till everything has been up and running for a few months.

Sorry NO

Disney needs to make decisions faster and needs better rules to start.

I likely can find a post from 6 months ago that said they should be testing everyone at Port.

It's a complete joke how Disney is handling this and how slow they are.

Edit
Yup back in January.....
https://www.disboards.com/threads/why-not-use-covid-sniffing-dogs.3824194/#post-62637163

tried calling DCL last night - got nothing but a busy signal.
Whereas I applaud DCL for doing this, I feel this is too much of a hassle to go through all that time, effort and money just to run a risk of being turned away from the port,
2) a Covid positive result showing up op on your CDC record,
3) you now have to explain to your Boss why you have to miss even MORE work now that you've tested positive since now you have to quarantine-
4) get a weird feeling DCL may reschedule your booking but you will be the hook for the round trip transpo to and from your airport to MCO and back, your flight plus any pre-days; basically meaning DCL will rebook you at a 20% penalty when you factor in all what i just said in #4 IF you come back positive.
*** SOMEONE PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG HERE **
5) if you do cancel, you have up until Friday pm Sept 3rd to do so with no penalty.

:upsidedow
and yet, you feel fine - just you turned up Covid positive.
This is going to be interesting to see how the General public reacts.

Me?
I was thinking of ditching my DCL April '22 cruise and go to WDW but after doing some more research, Im thinking im much better staying here in Dallas, Texas.
Yes, Im fully vaxed....
Yes, I still Social Distance......
Yes, I still mask up.......................
Yes, I still frequently wash my hands...........

Get yer popcorn ready Folks -
This is going to get interesting.

T.T.F.N.
&
CHEERS Y'ALLpopcorn::

Last edited:
Sorry NO

Disney needs to make decisions faster and needs better rules to start.

I likely can find a post from 6 months ago that said they should be testing everyone at Port.

It's a complete joke how Disney is handling this and how slow they are.

Edit
Yup back in January.....
https://www.disboards.com/threads/why-not-use-covid-sniffing-dogs.3824194/#post-62637163
Suggesting that testing should be done doesn't mean much if you are still going to book a cruise to sail in the middle of all this. Actions - not words!

I agree Disney is being utterly reactive. Quite expected - which is why we bailed out early.

Last edited:
tried calling DCL last night - got nothing but a busy signal.
Whereas I applaud DCL for doing this, I feel this is too much of a hassle to go through all that time, effort and money just to run a risk of being turned away from the port,
2) a Covid positive result showing up op on your CDC record,
3) you now have to explain to your Boss why you have to miss even MORE work now that you've tested positive since now you have to quarantine-
4) get a weird feeling DCL may reschedule your booking but you will be the hook for the round trip transpo to and from your airport to MCO and back, your flight plus any pre-days; basically meaning DCL will rebook you at a 20% penalty when you factor in all what i just said in #4 IF you come back positive.
*** SOMEONE PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG HERE **
5) if you do cancel, you had up until last night to do so with no penalty.

:upsidedow
and yet, you feel fine - just you turned up Covid positive.
This is going to be interesting to see how the General public reacts.

Me?
I was thinking of ditching my DCL April '22 cruise and go to WDW but after doing some more research, Im thinking im much better staying here in Dallas, Texas.
Yes, Im fully vaxed....
Yes, I still Social Distance......
Yes, I still mask up.......................
Yes, I still frequently wash my hands...........

Get yer popcorn ready Folks -
This is going to get interesting.

T.T.F.N.
&
CHEERS Y'ALLpopcorn::
It's almost like it's may be a little unsafe to cruise during a global pandemic.

I think the big issue is having the mandatory test at the port. With other cruise lines, with the 2-3 day advance test required before departure, you’d know before you travel if you test positive. On the one hand, I applaud the pre-cruise test, but now I need to figure out a possible quarantine strategy. Or move dates. I understand there is an inherent risk of cruising (I don’t think this risk will go away for years, let alone Disney’s September 2022 deadline to use FCC). Maybe I should move back to Florida 😂

I have seen all the information about the Dream and the Wonder, but we are scheduled to sale on the Magic out of Miami in October. I’m really wondering if that cruise will happen.
We are on the November 13 cruise and I waffle so much between “it will sail, it won’t sail.”
We will be traveling from Illinois. This adds a whole other level of stress.

I’m just shocked this wasn’t a rule when the Dream started sailing again, seems stupid not to test everyone at the port before boarding.
We had to for the UK Magic sailings and yes it was a worry and the fear of a positive test and not being able to sail was tough but I’d rather that than potentially get on a cruise full of people who weren’t tested and could therefor bring it on, best to be as safe as possible right now

You do know that big events are doing this right now? They are called rapid test, some colleges are using better tests but these are the ones that have approved.
Disney only accepts rapid PCR tests, not the rapid antigen tests (which is what the vast majority of rapid tests are). I have only found one place in northeast Florida doing rapid PCR tests and they cost $195/each and insurance doesn’t cover it. If DCL adopts the 48-hour rule, I have no idea how regular PCR test will be returned in time. Some are, but so many people around my area wait a few days before results come back. The sailing would be over before results could come back!

The other cruise lines are doing EITHER year 2 days before (Royal) or test everyone at the port (Carnival).

Biggest difference with Disney's plan, Royal allows vaccinated people to do rapid tests and does not require a PCR.

We are on the November 13 cruise and I waffle so much between “it will sail, it won’t sail.”
We will be traveling from Illinois. This adds a whole other level of stress.

We will be traveling from the northeast for a NYE cruise. We are all vaxxed, take the proper precautions. We were going to accept the mask indoors etc. But this just made me feel like I will be cancelling my cruise ASAP. There is no way I am flying all the way to Texas, a few days early due to weather etc., just to test positive at the port. I love DCL, I want to cruise very badly. But not that bad. I just don't want that kind of stress to take what is supposed to be a vacation to relax.

Hopefully the testing in Florida will ramp back up. A lot of the testing was shut down as it wasn’t being used. Then…When the schools opened and kids who are exposed at school need a negative test to return. The cruise lines require negative tests 48 hours before and some countries (Canada) needing negative tests to return home. Add to that Floridians getting sick and needing testing. The existing lab capacity is being over run, and that is why it takes a few days to get the tests back.

In theory, the 48 hour limit is a great idea in catching cases before they get to the port or airport. In reality, the Florida labs are struggling to hit the 48 hour deadline.

So, helpful hint, if you are planning a cruise/WDW vacation, cruise first and get the 48 hour test at home. It will save you the stress of finding the 48 hour testing in Florida.

I don't know DCL's testing guidelines, but I wanted to share in case this helps anyone.

We are sailing on Carnival on 9/14 so basically the first sailing having to do the 48 hrs. testing vs. the previous 72 hrs. DH & I purchased the Abbott's BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag At-Home Test Kit to test with. They are FDA Authorized and telehealth monitored. Results in 15 minutes. I ordered and they shipped overnight. Results are accepted for CCL, RCCL, and international travel back into the USA.

Link: https://www.emed.com/products/covid-at-home-testkit-six-pack?hsLang=en

Again, just wanted to post in case this helps someone out. Obviously, always check with the cruise line as to what is accepted.

So people with affected bookings from the mandatory testing have an option to reschedule or cancel before the end of today? I hadn't heard that part. Does anyone know if that applies to people who booked restricted VGT rates? I shot an email to my TA but I'm wildly impatient. Thinking I should maybe also contact the travel insurance folks on this. We are fully vaxxed. That's not a problem. But. I don't trust the tests. I think false positives will be a much bigger problem than Disney realizes. It's a problem I don't particularly care to be caught up in even at a discount. I also am not real thrilled that my in-laws are now planning to wait until after the cruise to get their boosters so as not to increase the chances of popping positive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter