Best beach in Florida - opinions please

Have not been in MANY years. My Mom had "timeshare" type condo there on intercoastal side. It was a few minute walk to beach across street. We had so much trouble with beach front properties harassing us for being on the beach. I know that this is becoming a huge problem in other areas now. Is that still the case, if so one should stay ON the beach.

We enjoyed all the years we went there, like you say quiet with good eats.
We had friends with a condo on the beach so had no issues with other people but it's too bad that you faced such harassment. I would agree with your assessment to stay on the beach. Very nice part of Florida, though.

Have not been in MANY years. My Mom had "timeshare" type condo there on intercoastal side. It was a few minute walk to beach across street. We had so much trouble with beach front properties harassing us for being on the beach. I know that this is becoming a huge problem in other areas now. Is that still the case, if so one should stay ON the beach.

We enjoyed all the years we went there, like you say quiet with good eats.

I’ve been vacationing in and around Indian rocks for my whole life. We are always beachfront but I don’t know why anyone would question your presence on the beach. There are plenty of public beach access points and locals and tourists mix with absolutely no issues. It is a public beach after all (although very quiet, chill and uncrowded compared to Clearwater and other more popular beaches).

I’d like to think you encountered something unusual and maybe specific to a particular property. I wouldn’t have any worries at all about visiting the beach no matter where I was staying.

I’ve been vacationing in and around Indian rocks for my whole life. We are always beachfront but I don’t know why anyone would question your presence on the beach. There are plenty of public beach access points and locals and tourists mix with absolutely no issues. It is a public beach after all (although very quiet, chill and uncrowded compared to Clearwater and other more popular beaches).

I’d like to think you encountered something unusual and maybe specific to a particular property. I wouldn’t have any worries at all about visiting the beach no matter where I was staying.
This is a big problem in many beaches right now, regularly hitting the news. Same scenario we used to experience when we were there. We accessed the beach via the public walkway but then were harassed by the owners of the properties along the beach stating they owned the beach in to the waterline. We could only set up in the narrow public walkway or on the beach below the waterline - so you become a tide watcher so you could be there during low tide. Now there are dunes along that beach so I don't think they have the same argument since most their property ends at the dunes. But I wouldn't stay on the west coast unless I was beachfront.

We own on the east coast and only own in to the dunes, very much a public beach .... but it seems many on the gulf coast say they own much more. It's something that has become something of an ongoing law challenge issue but I don't think it is settled after years of it. All this pressed by Huckabee, Scott and others.

I'm removing my previous suggestion since it's December. For a better chance for good beach weather I'd head south. If it were me I might turn in the car and take a quick flight down to Cancun Mexico from Orlando if you can get a good deal.

I just think Mexico is better for more reliable beach weather than Florida that time of year.

Last edited:

I've been focusing on the Florida Keys after getting advice on the thread.

We fly from Seattle and would like to use Alaska to use some credits up. What is everyone's preferred airport to fly into?
Since you are not too particular, I definitely suggest pricing out different options and see where you can find a great air+hotel rate. Also make sure to look at recent reviews, given the amount of storm damage last year. Current ocean temps are also very high, which often portends an active hurricane season, so none of us really knows what might happen in the months ahead. Hopefully not much in the way of storms, but it is too early to know.

It is hard to say exactly what type of weather you'll get, because December weather can be a bit unpredictable. The northern FL beaches tend to be somewhat chilly. The southern FL beaches might be in the low 80's. That's what most folks think of when they think beach weather, but might be warmer than you prefer.

The Atlantic side of FL has somewhat bigger waves. The Gulf beaches tend to be pretty flat. a plus of the gulf side beaches is that they tend to have lots of shells, so even if it isn't swim weather, it might be fun to go shell hunting.

It also bears mentioning that FL has lots of beaches. If the beach you choose isn't quite to your liking, drive a little ways, and you can probably find another beach that has a different personality. Some beaches are more built up, others are more nature park. They Keys are maybe one exception, because they are a bit isolated. Still, driving out there is quite something.

Another fun option in south FL is to see the Everglades and Big Cypress. You can see some of it by car if you wish. Taking an airboat tour is also pretty neat. Winter is a good time to see gators and manatees. There are many great places in FL to see manatees. If you have children, and visit a national park, they can do the Junior Rangers program for free. Usually = a free booklet with activity pages. They fill it out, and get a badge after a short ceremony.

If the weather isn't ideal for sunbathing: Tampa has a bunch of fun options beyond beaches. St Augustine has all kinds of very neat history to explore. Everyone should see the Fort and walk the Old Town area. There are a number of zoos and wildlife places near Fort Lauderdale and Tampa. Ft L offers the Jungle Queen boat tour that gives you a glimpse of how the uber wealthy live, and a tour of the city. Also, consider Florida State parks. Silver Springs is neat to see, but it is inland and about 1.5 hours north of WDW.

IMO, most airports are in many ways all the same. I would choose so much on 'best airport' as much as best flight options/lowest price. In December try to get as direct a flight as possible. Also know, winter flights always = a fair risk of getting stuck to do big storms moving across the country. Always allow an emergency fund in case you get stuck in FL for an extra day.

68 F is lowest water temp I’ll venture into my pool. Living in the north, we squeeze all the pool time we can out of our unheated pool

Personally, wouldn’t dream of swimming in the ocean in that temp, too many unknowns/possibility of hypothermia

A rash guard will help to keep you warm when air temp starts to chill.

for years, found myself in Daytona Beach early January for football championship games. I swear there were times it was colder there than back at home. Glad I had my down-filled jacket & gloves. Never know what you are going to get that time of year there.

quite the surprise to discover that a normal a gentle summer wind, easily morphs into wicked slap in the face off the beach when it’s cold there.

Clearwater has gotten too congested for my liking. Lots of transients around the pier. Daytona has same sort of issue near clamshell, Daytona Shores our new landing area there.

We do enjoy st Petersburg area, beachfront; especially the Tradewinds & area. However, that last drive back up to Disney took double the time due to multiple accidents on I-4. it’s not exactly a pleasant drive under the best of circumstances IMO.

OP - thinking outside the box…have you considered a short cruise?

December is extremely tricky. Been at Grand Floridian numerous years ago and it was colder than the Midwest we just left. Definitely 30 degrees. We laid on the beach chairs in puffer coats out of spite.

I winter in Cocoa Beach and go mid Dec - end of March. This year (Dec of last yr +) was very nice though water was cold.
The year before was VERY cold....same month (Dec) same time as I listed above.

We found that what is happening up North (or expected to happen) GREATLY affects FL temperature.

Siesta or Anna Maria, probably 2-3 hours from Orlando. Siesta is probably the closest the US has to a caribbean beach. The water is blue and the sand is like powdered sugar.

I agree that some parts of Florida can be quite chilly in December. That won't be the case in South Florida (esp. the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area) or the Keys. December is always very nice.

I lived in Miami for 10+ years. One year it snowed ..... temps in 40's are not unusual
I currently live between Ft. Lauderdale & Miami & have never seen it anywhere near that. High 60s would be rare.

ETA: For curiosity, I looked it up. Was this 1977 or was your experience more recent?

We really liked Fort Myers Beach, about 3 hours drive from WDW. The beach was pretty quiet, especially the further south we went. We stayed at a VRBO that was less than 3 minutes from the beach, directly on a canal with our own pool.

Naples. We love the beaches there and 5th Avenue for shopping/food is quite nice. And the homes mansions along the shore are spectacular to look at and dream about.

I can give you our go to resort if you want a recommendation.

Clearwater is beautiful but the seagulls there can be ruthless. I’ve had an entire sandwich stolen from my hands. I had a much more peaceful time in Daytona.

St Augustine, Jax Beach, and North Miami beach (sunny isles) are favorites of mine. Plus there is a lot to do in the surrounding areas as well! Lived in both and highly recommend!

St Augustine, Jax Beach, and North Miami beach (sunny isles) are favorites of mine. Plus there is a lot to do in the surrounding areas as well! Lived in both and highly recommend!
We stayed at Hilton Embassy Suites -St Augstine in March. People were in the ocean, but too cold for me. Nice beach to walk . They have free bikes to ride and a large heated pool that had childrens activites. St Augstine had lots of tourist things to do . They are supposed to have an amazing Chritsmas light show.

Last edited:
Anyone near Clearwater for live update? Wondering whether beaches are ok after Hurricane Idalia.

Frenchys beach cam looks like they got beach chairs and umbrellas all set up for the Labor day weekend.

St Pete's Beach - not to be confused with Petersburg. Beautiful white sand beaches, sunsets and friendly people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter