Best beach in Florida - opinions please

Our Christmas trip is unfortunately cancelled due to a job change and lack of vacation time. We have a DL trip planned the first week of December and just couldn't swing both.

Definitely looking into this still for next year. It's so cold here already that I'm really going to regret not getting to go come December.

Anna Maria Island is absolutely beautiful! I visited twice this summer and I had a wonderful time. My first time there I got lucky enough to see dolphins swim by, a manatee and some really cool fish! I suggest getting there early because parking can be a pain. Other than that it’s a perfect place!

I have not read all the suggestions, but live on the East Coast. East coast has an ocean and more fun to play in, but with with an 11 year old to entertain....and not minding a drive.....I suggest do both the Gulf area and the Atlantic. You could even do day trips to either beach from Orlando. If you spend time in Orlando check out Sea World at Christmas. They have special shows and the decoration for the holidays and NYE concert and fireworks are spectacular. For the DH you could go to a Magic game. Even if you are not a big BB fan there is so much going on during the game you almost forget to watch the game . The mascot, Stuff the Magic Dragon, is cool and keeps the crowd entertained.

I would even suggest Island Grand at Trade Winds in St. Pete beach if you head to the Gulf because it has the big slide right on the sand. St. Pete would give you access to everything in Tampa from museums and restaurants to Busch Gardens for entertainment for a few days. BG is a lot of fun over the holidays and has good fireworks on NYE . There is shuttle to an island with lots of shells to let her get some nice shells, also. It is a fun excursion.

Then head to the Space Coast for a rocket launch(going up almost weekly now) and check out the space center. Canaveral National seashore is pretty cool and you might see a rocket on the launch pad from the beach. There is a nature drive Black Point Nature Drive at the Merritt Island Wildlife refuge that is really cool also. You will see lots of birds, aligators, manatees and experience Florida marsh and coastal hammocks.

Taking some surf lessons in Cocoa Beach might be a fun experience for you all. Any beach on the space coast will have larger waves than the gulf and a different type of sand, but they are fun. Usually it is still in the 80s during the day still at Christmas here, but they are predicting a wet and rainy winter this year so it may be cooler at Christmas. Usually local surfers don't wear wet suits till after Christmas, though.

Siesta or Anna Maria, probably 2-3 hours from Orlando. Siesta is probably the closest the US has to a caribbean beach. The water is blue and the sand is like powdered sugar.
I was told by a coworker to go to Siesta key on our next trip which is in June. Does it get crazy busy during the beginning of summer?

Sorry I have missed this thread.
I hope you have made your decisions for holiday travels .
I am going to post future advice for anybody just starting to research because I love the Destin Florida area and accidentally lucked out discovering Hilton location called Fort Walton .
I want to go back to use my Holiday Inn points .
This location has these 2 hotels next to each other with walking distance and a Tiki Bar in the middle !
How perfect is that ?
Plus both locations have great laundry rooms and rooms that overlook their pools and the beach with sidewalk towards the sandy each . The Hilton has a lazy River too!
BUT this is very very popular for week long vacations so book way in advance necessary !

I plan to return to read all the posts for closer to WDW suggestions.

I was told by a coworker to go to Siesta key on our next trip which is in June. Does it get crazy busy during the beginning of summer?
Siesta is very popular. The weekends are very busy and parking is a bust after about 11am. But generally, the hotter it gets, the thinner the crowds.

Siesta is very popular. The weekends are very busy and parking is a bust after about 11am. But generally, the hotter it gets, the thinner the crowds.
Is it true the sand is cool during the summer. Are there other beaches that have that type of sand?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter