Best car rental from the airport

bmartin1

Earning My Ears
OK....I'm counting on the network masses. Does anyone know the best car rental deal from the airport. Arriving late with 4 kids so I don't particularly want to hop a shuttle to a car rental place. I don't belong to any clubs nor am I interested unless it's free.
Here's the plan:

At least an intermediate car from November 3 @ approx. 10:45 PM to November 10 approx. 3:45.

I read about disounts and coupons all the time but never seem to find them when I'm looking.

We got a dodge carovan from dollar which is in the airport for 200+ taxes..

JMo

I'm going to disneyworld thanks to ezsplitit.com, I won a hotel stay from them..

I'm sold on National since I was able to join their "Emerald Club" for free. I joined at biztravel.com, but I don't think they're offering free membership through this web site anymore. However, I think the Mousesaver's web site has some information about free membership to this club.

There are two things that make it great:

1 - It's FAST! You bypass the rental counter completely. You just walk out to the garage, pick a car from the section labeled "Emerald Aisle," drive to the booth at the exit, hand them your driver's license and Emerald Club card, and you're out in like a minute or something. Return is just as quick -- you drive up and a rep with a hand-held computer approaches your car. Before you even have your luggage out of the trunk you're being handed a receipt.

2 - You get to pick whatever vehicle happens to be on the Emerald Aisle when you arrive. You have to reserve at least an intermediate-class car to get "Aisle service," but if there's a Caddy, a PT Cruiser, an SUV, a minivan, or whatever on the Aisle when you arrive, you can take it at the same rate as you reserved. You're only guaranteed the class you reserved, but we got a Jimmy last time, and hope to be as lucky this trip.

I like that idea...bypass the counter..however, I am not a member and refuse to pay 50.00 to join. If I could do it for free, I would be hooked on National as well.

I will stick with Dollar for my minivan.

What do you do with National if you need a baby carseat? I think you would still need to goto the counter right?

Thanks
Joe

Just checked your dates on Dollar's web page, and it shows $149.97, which is pretty good (the price got higher when I tried to use discount codes!). Dollar is in the terminal and is very convenient. I always use them. If you rent from them, join the Fastlane program -- it's free, and just makes things a litttle faster and easier.

just remember when those "taxes" get added in, the price goes up SUBSTANTIALLY!

you are going to pay taxes no matter where you rent.. so you look for the cheapest rate...
2 different places.. 1 is in the airport, they charge an airport tax or something like that.. if you go off site, they do not charge that extra amount..

morganelli, Fastlane members have a special line, so there's usually no wait. Also, they have all your information (including preferences) on record so they don't have to ask you questions like whether you want insurance and whether you want to return the car with a full tank. Makes things much easier. I think those are really the only benefits, but you can find details on their website (www.dollar.com).

Anyone know if I can transfer my existing car rental over to it? I have a reservation for my time there.. I am going to sign up for this fastlane..it is free..

Thanks

I found out today that if you are a AAA member that the EA for National Car rental if free. Also, with the taxes I got National EA for the same price as Dollar for their Economy car class with a coupon from Entertainment for $15 off.

morganelli - I don't know about car seats as I don't typically travel with children. Last time I did the parents brought their own and checked them with their luggage. They arrived safe and sound.

Morganelli;
Yes you can hook up your current ressie to the fastlane program, I did it two weeks ago and I had no problem. Just call them on the phone and let them know, they will change it for you without changing the ressie. Also ( unless it changes ) with my membership card I got a coupon for a free one class upgrade to full size, I don't know if they always do that but I got one.

I just wanted to throw in my $.02. IN the few times I have gone to WDW in the past few years I have yet to find a rate at Dollar that has beat the rate I have gotten with National, using EC plus my Disney Club discount and a coupon. Even using every discount code I could find, I have never been able to find a rate that comes even close at Dollar. Even the few times I found a quote that "seemed" competitive, I emailed the company asking for the rate with all taxes and surcharges thrown in. The rate was always higher than what I got from National.

Caveat Emptor!:jester:

While we haven't done much traveling, we also found National to have good rates. We joined the EC through Capital One (which we happen to have, but I don't think you need one) and through a coupon # on travelcouponsonline we got a full size for $136 INCLUDING ALL TAXES, ETC. for one week. I booked it figuring I can't do much better.

DebO: That is a great rate! What are your dates? I have been shopping for the week of 10/8, and even though National's prices have gone down, they still come to about $180 with taxes for a full size. This is with the capital one discount and the 1 day free coupon.

YMudaro

We'll be there from 8/22-8/28/01. Did you use coupon #10005317? Before I joined EC I think the rate w/taxes, etc. was around $144 for a full size.

Good luck!

I'm getting worried because I haven't seen Budget Car Rental on any of these replies. That is where we found really great rates, and I was under the impression that they are right there in the airport and you don't have to take a shuttle. Am I correct? Is there a problem with Budget that nobody is replying with their name on this post?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter