Best card games for families and adults for Hanukkah?

Buzz Rules

To Infinity and Beyond
Best card games for families and adults for Hanukkah? I’m looking for suggestions of games to do in order for family members to win chocolate gelt. Being Catholic but being half ethnically Jewish, my family likes to play dreidel during the holidays but we also play card games for the candy as well. The adults in our group would like recommendations on card games kids (tweens) will enjoy but also interesting enough for adults to still feel some competition. So far I have Go fish, Uno, Whist, and Cheat (B.S.). Any other suggestions? We also have a similar Christmas Eve tradition with Christmas candy. I love the holiday season. By the way, do others on the Disboard have family game traditions for the holidays as well? 😁🍫♥️♦️♣️♠️

Munchkin! It's like a dungeon crawl but using cards. Super easy to learn, but lots of levels of strategy as you get better at it. Complex enough for adults, simple enough for kids.

Our family plays games at holidays, too. 🙂 - Usually whatever board games people bring.

Quiddler is a card game we like.

And Left, Right, Center is dice rather than cards, but it's a good one to play for (wrapped) candy!

What a good idea Buzz! I’ve been trying to think of games to play when we get together at Christmas this year. I had something planned for last year and we had to cancel at the last minute because of Covid. I had planned “pass the present “, where you have a nice gift in the Center and many layers of paper and each person unwraps one layer. But I had planned to insert one large gift card and many small gift cards and candy in between the layers. I ended up just putting them into their gift bags when we had to cancel.

Fluxx. There’s a bunch of different versions too. We like mixing up card decks to play. I haven’t tried the boardgames, we’ve only tried the original card game and a few varietion decks. Check it out on Amazon to decide which interest you.

Variants[edit]​

Zombie Fluxx cards in play, including New Rules (yellow) and Goals (pink).
There are also versions of Fluxx that have been released using entirely different themed sets of cards while playing by the same set of rules.

• Stoner 1st edition (Released by October 2005 and out of print in 2005) [9]
  • EcoFluxx, a percentage of profits goes toward environmental causes
    • First edition (October 2005) Allison Frane art[9] 84 cards
    • Second edition (March 5, 2010) added additional cards including Creeper cards and has new art;[10] 100 cards
    • Nature (November 6, 2015) renamed third edition of EcoFluxx with update cards and packaging & continuing its donation to its eco-causes[35]
  • Zombie (2007) 2008 Origins Award for Traditional Card Game of the Year,[15]introduced the Creeper type card,[31] 100 cards[14]
  • Monty Python[36] (October 2008)[37] co-published with Monty Python licensee, Toy Vault;[13] 100 cards with Todd Cameron Hamilton art[14]
  • Martian (September 25, 2009)[36]
  • Pirate (February 11, 2011)[27] introduces the Surprise cards[17]
  • Star (STARFLUXX, styled like STAR WARS, with space theme)(September 30, 2011)[38]
  • Oz Fluxx(March 23, 2012)[39]
  • Cthulhu (August 2012)[2]
  • Fluxx the Boardgame (2013)[40] Parents' Choice Recommended Seal Fall 2013 Games[41]
  • Monster (Fall 2013) also a Target Stores exclusive, manufactured by 360 Manufacturing
  • Regular Show (July 25, 2014)[21] 100 cards[29] - out of print [32]
  • Cartoon Network (mid-August 2014) also a Target Stores exclusive[21]
  • Holiday Fluxx (October 3, 2014) 100 cards with art by Ali Douglass[42]
  • Adventure Time (August 21, 2015)[24]
  • Batman (August 7, 2015)[24] with Cryptozoic Entertainment[23]
  • Firefly Fluxx (January 15, 2016) 20th Century Fox and Gale Force Nine[43]
  • Doctor Who (November 23, 2017)[44]
  • Star Trek: The Original Series (August 2, 2018) with Gale Force 9[26]
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation (August 2, 2018) with Gale Force 9[26]
  • Fairy Tale (September 6, 2018) art by Mary Engelbreit[45]
  • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (May 23, 2019)[46]
  • Marvel – Specialty Edition (August 15, 2019) with Cardinal Industries, who releases the regular edition sans the extras;[47] includes 7 exclusive cards, and a collectible coin[48]
  • Jumanji – Specialty Edition (August 15, 2019) with Cardinal Industries, who releases the regular edition sans the extras;[47] includes 7 exclusive cards, and a collectible coin; adds a "Danger" type cards that can eliminate players with the ability to return unless the deck then elimination is permanent[48]
  • SpongeBob SquarePants (May 21, 2020)[49]
  • Fantasy Fluxx (January 2021)[50]
  • Fluxx Remixx (March 2022), A version of Fluxx 5.0 with "remixed" goals, rules and actions, alongside the original keepers.[51]

What a good idea Buzz! I’ve been trying to think of games to play when we get together at Christmas this year. I had something planned for last year and we had to cancel at the last minute because of Covid. I had planned “pass the present “, where you have a nice gift in the Center and many layers of paper and each person unwraps one layer. But I had planned to insert one large gift card and many small gift cards and candy in between the layers. I ended up just putting them into their gift bags when we had to cancel.
It’s actually an American/European tradition dating back to at least the 18th century. And chocolate is a great prize for both kids and adults (it’s portion controlled, so that’s also a plus).

We love Monopoly Deal in our house. Short games, easy enough for kids, but has enough strategy to keep adults engaged.

Five Crowns is one that our friends like to play. It is a decent game, the only thing is I tend to forget the rules between playings. :rotfl2:

Not cards, but Mexican Train Dominoes is a lot of fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter