Best Ecv??

3kidsmommy

Mouseketeer
My dh needs to get an ECV as his MS is getting progressively worse. We have seen a ton of papers on differnet ones and can't decide...what do you think the best ECV is? The mobility place we are using is recommending one called a "revo" to us...anyone have one?

I don't have a recommendation, but do have some advice/questions from when we got DD's first power wheelchair.
At this point in time, will he be using it in your house or just outside?
Is that likely to change any time soon?
If outside, is it going to be mostly flat or hilly terrain?
What distance is he likely to go in a day?
Does he need any adaptive seating at this time? If no, is that likely to change soon?
How important is portability (Will it need to be taken apart to get into a car trunk, or not?
How is his hand use (for driving with a tiller)? Is that likely to change soon?
If insurance (or other payment sources) are paying for it, how often will they pay for another? What happens if his needs change?

Good luck with your choice.

Sue offered some great questions to help with your decision- you may want him to be evaluated by a physical therapist to determine the best chair for his needs. Since MS can be exacerbated and thus in some instances progressive, he might need a chair vs. an ecv- an ecv requires that someone lean forward slightly with good trunk, neck, and hand control but it *is* easier to transport. Once an adult has a power chair then you really need a lift or ramp van. ---Kathy

I agree Sue has some great questions to answer before making a purchase.

peronsally I have a Revo, and for me it's great. But I only use it at the theme parks, or if going on an all day trip that will require lots of walking or standing. In other words I don't use in my home or for day to day activities, i am able to use forearm crutch/es.

I really like my Revo, and just this week had a lift installed on my SUV.

Revo is made by Pride which normally make quality scooters. But there are also other brands that are just as high quality. research what is out there, see which ones will meet the needs and not just for present but like in a year or two.

On the insurance issue, check with your plan to see if they cover scooters, and if they do what requirements. Example, my insurance will not cover any scooter as I don't need it in my home. Also they look at upper body and if can manage a manual wheelchair they go that route first. power chairs about the same. but this is my insurance company, they purchase the least possible.

good luck.

A lot ill depend also on his weight. The smallest ones have a capacity of 200-250 pounds.

I am close to 300 and looking at the possibility of the Pride Legend. I really like it, as one of the reasons, because of the headlights built in. However, it complicates things as it is heavier than my current ECV and will be more difficult to put in the car's trunk. If I get it, I will also need to buy a lift. That in itself is not too bad, but my current car has 145000 miles on it and needs new struts, especially if I get a lift. Since I usually drive only myself and at most one or two other people I do not want any sort of van or truck, so to get a new ECV I will have to first buy a new car.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter