Best "school break" time to visit for 1st timers?

WillowHaven

Mouseketeer
Hey everyone!

I'm trying to decide when to plan our first WDW trip for. My oldest will be in middle school next year and I want to minimize her days out of school. So, I'm looking at the various school breaks.
We live in the Pacific Northwest, so weather is also a big factor for us. We melt in the heat! (I know we can't really escape it, but I want to try to pick one of the "less hot" times.)

Our main school break options are Spring break (the first week of April), Summer, or Christmas break. I'm fairly certain Summer is out for us due to weather. I'm not sure we would have a successful trip if we tried then, which leaves Spring Break and Christmas.
Spring Break means a shorter trip, especially if we decide not to skip any days of school. I hear Christmas is super crowded and we won't be able to go until 2019 which has the added SWGE crowds. But, the weather is cooler, we can stay longer, and we could see all the Holiday stuff.

So, between weather, crowds, and length of visit, is one a better option than the other? (While it would be awesome to see SWGE, the other factors are more important.) Is there another time of year that I'm overlooking?

pixiedust:

Personally, I would avoid Christmas/New Years week at all costs, ESPECIALLY as a first visit. Disney is always busy, but Christmas week is shut down mid day busy. You don't want your first experience at Disney to be wall to wall crowds.

Spring Break is also crazy, but I guess if you REALLY want to avoid the heat in the summer, it's better. But, it can be really hot in April too. Go RIGHT before he goes back to school in the summer - the week or two beforehand. That's what I would do personally. The crowds wouldn't be as bad and you can make plans to deal with the heat (ADRs, water rides, cooling towels, indoor shows/rides.) I also hate the heat, but honestly that would be my pick if I had kids and needed to work around those schedules.

Does your child's school take off any extra days around MLK day or Presidents day?
Last year we went in February and my son missed very few days and the weather and the crowds were wonderful! We had a great time. We went to Cinderella's Castle for Valentines day which was neat also. How many days are you wanting to book for your trip?

Unless you have about 3 weeks and unlimited patience, Christmas is the absute worst time for a first timer.

Pick April or early June

This is what Disney world looks like at Christmas:

Last edited:
Early June can be bearable weather-wise if your school system gets out early enough. The crowds are much lighter than either spring or winter break weeks.

Ok, so no Christmas!

We don't get out of school until late June, so the early June idea is out. I could consider late August, right before we go back to school. We are trying DLR in August this year. I'm just worried about the weather. Once it hits about 75 we are ready to escape into the A/C! I know there's ways to cope. I will definitely look them up.

I hadn't thought of Thanksgiving. I had heard it's also very busy. And I'd really like at least a week to spend there.
We get a long weekend over President's Day. Again, we wouldn't have a whole week unless we miss a couple days of school. And it was really crowded the year we did DLR over President's Day, though Dapper Day probably affected it too.

Thank you for all the input so far! More to think about!

How many days are you wanting to book for your trip?

I missed this, sorry.
In my ideal trip, we'd have a good 10-14 days. In reality, I'm willing to do 7. I don't think it's worth it for us to do less than a week, between the long flights and it being our first trip.

I have been to WDW late August (our first time going was this time period) and while it does get hot, I really think it might be the best option for you in terms of crowds/enjoyment for your first time. Summer actually seems to be slightly less crowded vs spring break and definitely Christmas.

We have always gotten to the parks early (we don’t rope drop often, but don’t sleep in past 9am usually) and we take a midday break around noon or 1. Summer brings longer hours, so get a nice lunch either on property or in your room and take a nice nap (especially nice if it’s raining!), shower and change and head back to the parks around 5 or 6 when the sun isn’t as intense. We also take Frog Togs, those towels you can keep wet and put around your neck for when it gets really sticky. Other than that just drink lots of water and stay in the shade when you can and you’ll have a lot of fun!

Hey everyone!

I'm trying to decide when to plan our first WDW trip for. My oldest will be in middle school next year and I want to minimize her days out of school. So, I'm looking at the various school breaks.
We live in the Pacific Northwest, so weather is also a big factor for us. We melt in the heat! (I know we can't really escape it, but I want to try to pick one of the "less hot" times.)

Our main school break options are Spring break (the first week of April), Summer, or Christmas break. I'm fairly certain Summer is out for us due to weather. I'm not sure we would have a successful trip if we tried then, which leaves Spring Break and Christmas.
Spring Break means a shorter trip, especially if we decide not to skip any days of school. I hear Christmas is super crowded and we won't be able to go until 2019 which has the added SWGE crowds. But, the weather is cooler, we can stay longer, and we could see all the Holiday stuff.

So, between weather, crowds, and length of visit, is one a better option than the other? (While it would be awesome to see SWGE, the other factors are more important.) Is there another time of year that I'm overlooking?

pixiedust:
Mid-to-late summer (mid-July through August) has the lowest crowds, but it's hot. No other school break times have low or even moderate crowds. Spring break, Christmas break, Thanksgiving break, and all the holiday weekends feature high crowds.

I have been to WDW late August (our first time going was this time period) and while it does get hot, I really think it might be the best option for you in terms of crowds/enjoyment for your first time. Summer actually seems to be slightly less crowded vs spring break and definitely Christmas.

We have always gotten to the parks early (we don’t rope drop often, but don’t sleep in past 9am usually) and we take a midday break around noon or 1. Summer brings longer hours, so get a nice lunch either on property or in your room and take a nice nap (especially nice if it’s raining!), shower and change and head back to the parks around 5 or 6 when the sun isn’t as intense. We also take Frog Togs, those towels you can keep wet and put around your neck for when it gets really sticky. Other than that just drink lots of water and stay in the shade when you can and you’ll have a lot of fun!

We plan our trips around school schedules too, not only for the kids but because DW also works at the school district. We go fairly often, and the trips last anywhere from 4 to 17 days, with summer being the longest trips.

Without a doubt, summer is the best time for you to go as a first time trip. Crowds are typically light. Yes, it's hot, but it's Florida in the summer. To us, that's not a bad thing. First, a majority of rides at WDW are air conditioned, and many of them even have indoor and/or air conditioned queues. With just a little common sense, there's no need to stand outside in the humid heat at 2pm. You can do a ton of indoor rides/attractions during the hottest part of the day. It's also great swimming weather. Summer also gives you wonderful nights, because it's still nice and warm, but no beating sun.

At the same time, I don't agree whatsoever with the posts above about avoiding Xmas at all costs. No way! If you want to see WDW at Xmas, it's beautiful!! Weather can be goofy (pardon the pun)...in 2015 it was literally 82 degrees (maybe 84, I forget exactly) on Xmas Day. Last year, we had some days between Xmas and New Years that were only 60 at the peak and 40s at night, which we did not enjoy at all. Crowds...yes, it's crowded...very, very crowded...that's the busiest week of the year. However, it's not all like the picture posted above. MK can get that way in spots, at times. But don't get the impression it's like that in every park all day. It's not. If you have some patience, learn the FP+ system and have a positive spirit, you'll have a blast!!

Our first trip was spring break 2015. We went the two weeks before Easter. It was busy but not off-putting-ly so. If you go the first week of April you won't be in a week that includes Easter (which have the largest spring break crowds). The weather is unpredictable (Florida!), but we only had one day where it got uncomfortably hot. So early April would be my recommendation is you don't want to deal with summer heat.

I would go in late August, stay maybe a couple of days longer (which may be possible as prices are lower than Christmas/Easter and you have more vacation days to work with), and avoid the heat of the day. Go to the parks right at opening, do rides etc. until 11 or so, maybe visit a restaurant or some longer indoor stuff as it gets hotter. Return to hotel/pool/waterpark and then go back to the parks in the early evening. Even with less hours you will get more done than during the really busy times.

We have been to both DLR and WDW in August before and for me, WDW is fine but I won't do DLR again in the summer heat. I think mostly because we only have three days in DLR and so it seems a waste to spend only half the day at the parks. So we try to power through and it is miserable (I also do better with humidity than dry heat but that is rather unusual, I think).

Easter in 2019 is late (Apr 21st), so the first week in April may not be horrible. Summer can be quite bearable, however. You just need to get into the parks early, leave mid-day during the worst of the heat for a swim/nap, and return in the evening. Plan ahead for meals in air conditioned venues. Stay hydrated.

Christmas is not good for first timers. Too much going on, too crowded, and the wait times will be far too long.

IMO, Easter is the BEST time to go—and that's coming from someone who goes every year for Christmas.

During Easter:
- Almost always decent weather. During Christmas/Halloween/Thanksgiving it could be cold, whereas our past two Easter trips have sat in the 70s-80s.
- Flower and Garden is going on. It's beautiful.
- It's a nice "break" from winter. Easter, at least in the Northeast, falls at a time when winter just won't go away. It's the end of March or early April, it's still cold out most days, and we just want some spring weather. Disney is the perfect break.
- Everyone gets off during summer and Christmas, but not everyone has the same Easter break, so it does tend to break up the crowds a bit.

Late summer:
- If you go early in the morning, then late at night, you should be "okay" - but I'd never be like "go, go, go!" if you don't like the heat. Florida and Northeast summers are quite different than Northwest. It's not just hot, it's very humid.

Side note - what about winter break (during February?) We have that on the east coast and it's a very popular travel week, but it'd fit the bill for your family.

Another PNW’er here :wave2: I would avoid summer heat if possible. We also do not do well in the heat. Plus, it’s nice in PNW in the summer, so why leave! We try to go when the weather is worst at home, and best where we are traveling to.
The last 2 yrs we have gone Thanksgiving Week. Do you guys get the full week off or just Thursday/Friday? My kids get the whole week which is helpful.
We have also gone Spring Break. The crowds were busy but not bad! If you get there at rope drop you can get so much done by 11:00-12:00. We are planning to go next spring break 2019.
My vote would be Spring Break ::yes::

Y'all are seriously not helping my indecision!!! :lmao:

I really wish we had a longer break at President's Day or Thanksgiving. Those would be much better times for us! But, they are only 2-3 days off.
Our plan for DLR this summer is definitely go early, midday break, close the park. I'm not sure how well we would adjust to that for WDW because of the time change. We are night owls, not early birds. And the 3 hour time difference would have us naturally arriving at the parks around noon or later. Eek! I guess I'll look for tips on that next!

Chiming in here...if you absolutely MUST go during a school break time, my vote would be for Spring Break over Christmas Break. Spring Break would be much less crowded since not every school has Spring Break at the same time, whereas just about every school is off for the same time over Christmas/New Years. For example, in Canada, we have March Break, usually around the 2nd week of March.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter