Better Head Back to Tennessee Jed

FtW Mike

DIS Veteran
We left home a week ago to go to my Nephew Sean's wedding in Greenville Tn. last Wed.. We got on the road only 45 minutes later than I wanted . Things went well enough till we hit DC. I forgot to add a destination on the 495 bypass and the GPS routed us thru DC proper. Happily a Capitol Police offer that barred our way understood our problem gave us us detailed directions around the detour and we were back on our way.. The 1 rest stop on I 66 is small and we ended up just shy of the access ramp back onto the highway . Did hit Pilot Truck stop in Toms Brook where we could legally park the rig and walk the girls. back on the road and hit next Pilot just south of I 64 to fill up gas tank. Then off another 100 miles to KOA at Natural Bridge VA. I was very happy that the entrance is right at the end of the off ramp no local road navigation required.
Registration took just a few minutes and we were guided to and into our site. Did a nominal hook up ie water and electric for overnight stop extended levelers and slides then gave Girls a trip to Dog Park.
Dinner was left over Chinese from the night before. Sorry Ed I only took pics of the dog park with kids playground next to it and one or two of the pull thru sites in our row
Edit add on . Todays travel was @ 285 miles and took just over 7 hours . This pace is way nicer than the pictures on it's website. The corral style fencing is part of the retaining walls to create level sites. Many of the TENT sites had the same corral style fencing enclosing 3 sides . the pool was closed but nice size.
Based on some of the advertised attractions in the area we will likely consider a longer stay in the future

Last edited:
Day 2's travel would be just over 255 miles. We left shortly after we had coffee and The Girls went to the dog park. At the midway point we found a Flying J on the Northbound side of I 81 with 3 lanes. Having a gasser this is always a must stop at. Arriving at the Baileyton Tn KOA we had just enough time to set up Feed and Walk the dogs before we had to head off for a family dinner. We met my new niece for the first time and my fathers heads up was spot on. Putting her Unique personal style choices to the side I found her to be a lovely young lady.
Unfortunately my parents couldn't come due my mothers health problems and 2 of my siblings also had professional concerns that prevented them from attending as well. So only the 4 bad kids in our family were were in attendance.
The venue is adjacent to a local park on the outskirts of Greenville Tn. According to Google maps it is @ 27 miles from our campground. Our car has no GPS and the one on my phone went in and out. To say we got bewildered as to our location a few times is a bit of an understatement. we did however by accident get to see Pres. Andrew Johnson's residence. He succeeded Abe Lincoln. Then we found Davy Crockett's Birthplace and Campground. Stopping adn asking for directions a super nice lady pointed us in the right direction and when I stopped at what I suspected was the right place I heard my Baby brother calling out to me by my name in Gaelic.
He, my sister Reenie, Lucille and I all all had a great reunion waiting for my sister Bernie and the rest of the wedding party to arrive. If anyone can tell me which Grateful Dead concert my Brother Terry fell out of I would extremely grateful.
Resized_20221014_192521.jpg
Once upon a time he looked like he walked out of GQ Magazine

Last edited:
The next day was the actual wedding . Lucille and I had gotten an excellent preview of the menu . It was a great assortment of southern BBQ so our breakfast was coffee, toast , and instant oatmeal. I took the added time in daylight to explore the campground. I found the dog park only it was atop a steep hill. No matter how slow I tried Katie's leg wouldn't tolerate it . The path leading to it has a much more gradual slope but meant a mile trip each from our site. That reduced us to walking the shaded path next to the road we were. Navigation problems to the venue were resolved and we found our way without a problem.
The officiant for the wedding was my nephews father and he did his usual job. The wedding party was unique. They had her 20+ yr old niece as the flower girl and aside from her and the bride everyone else was male. But it was what THEY wanted and are happy with, so good thing I didn't get a vote. I was happy they took my suggestion to heart and called my parents as it made everyone on the call very happy.

Mike,

Thanks for the write-up so far.

I do feel sorry for you folks who have to make those drives around/through MAJOR cities like DC (in this case).

In all sincerity, I see the family resemblance between you and your brother. However, he is ahead of you in the facial hair department. :rolleyes1

I'm glad to hear the ceremony went well.

Bama Ed

PS - I got back Sunday from a nephew's wedding in the Charleston, SC area. Beautiful service, long reception, and we hoteled it (very expen$ive). Charleston is a lovely port town of the south with the added bonus of having colonial heritage. Also does a big tourist trade which I contributed to. I hope everybody stays married (yours and mine) forever.

Last edited:
Ed so happy to hear from you. After events last Saturday we have been worried. Figured you might still be under intensive appropriate medical care. We came via coach as the Girls do not do well at CAMP and are problematic when we bring them home.
As we were going to be only 70 miles from Dollywood so we came here.

Last Saturday we were back at the wedding venue for a Goodbye Brunch. The extra time with my 2 sisters and Baby Brother was great. Gave my 1 nephew a few ideas on TT's to consider and heads up on I 40 conditions we encountered last year.
Returning to the Baileyton KOA our home base for this wedding required a stop at local DOLLAR GENERAL store for bags of candy as they were hosting Trick or Treating in the afternoon. Once there we had some spare time so I took the Girls for an exploratory walk. The campground is essential all open field and divided into 2 sections . The pull thru sites are located in front of the office while the back ins are off to your left looking out from the office. Sites are decent size in both areas are a decent size and the few seasonal campers have well maintained sites.
They offer 2 catch and release ponds for kids to fish in, along with a decent play ground and pool area. They also offer something I had never seen before , GOLF DRIVING RANGE. Our one complaint and we heard it echoed by others , the dog park is located in a location that is too inconvenient for most people to use it

Sunday was our travel. Our Destination was SUN OUTDOORS Pigeon Forge. It is actually in Seviereville and was formerly The River Plantation RV Resort. I found it when I saw on another Sun Resorts page that Veterans are offered a 20% discount , more on that later.
As check in time here is 2pm and check out from Baileyton is 11am I had time to kill as I only had a 70 mile trip to do. Limited space in front of the GAS pumps in front of the Pilot Station just off the north bound exit to I 81 where I was getting on south I 81. Traffic was moving well so I still had a huge time gap ie 90 minutes , to avoid $25. early check in fee . Hello Cracker Barrel
at exit 18 of I 40 . Between time we had to wait for a table and eating we didn't leave there till 2pm.
We had preselected site 120 and it is 3 sites in from main drag ie SMOKEY MOUNTAIN CIRCLE and across road from Dog Park , B Ball and Pickleball Courts , Bouncy Pad , and Play ground. These follow Pool and Mini Lazy River Comfort station and Laundry and Arcade. There is also a Dog Washing Station near the pool Entrance cost $10.

Last edited:
Resized_20221021_125737.jpg
This is the reception center. It is also has a small camp store with limited RV supplies. It also houses a fitness center
Resized_20221021_125309.jpg
The smallest size cabin . According to a guest staying in of them the have a double bed , a bunk bed , dorm style fridge and Microwave but no bathroom
Resized_20221021_132205.jpg
This is one of the mid size cabins the one i saw that had wheel chair access

Resized_20221021_125340.jpg
Kids playground
Resized_20221021_125515.jpg
Lazy river in pool area. There is also a small splash Pad , a zero entry pool. a second regular style pool, and a hot tub. The pools are heated
Resized_20221021_125441.jpg
The entrance to the arcade.
There is a comfort station to the left of the arcade and it is the closest to small cabins just to the right of the arcade
Here is the majority of the kids playground . It is locate pretty much to the right of the pools and behind the small cabins

Resized_20221022_122259.jpg
Our sign
Resized_20221017_084120.jpgOur site from frontResized_20221017_084029.jpg

The shot you have all been waiting for . The Backside of our site!

This is just my findings. Pull thru sites here are nice but substantially narrower than back ins. Fully padded sites are limited and mostly on the perimeter and occupied by long term residents. Sun Outdoors which is now the owner here does offer a variety of discounts based on length of stay. Thee nights 15% , 5 nights 20%, 7 nights 25% VETERANS 20%.
They also rent Golf Carts , Sorry Tiggerdad but they have governors that keep them at a max of 8 mph. The sites on the rear perimeter are adjacent to the river and at least for now the water is low enough for your chairs

Monday after coffee and taking care of the Girls it was off to PUBLIX. Nothing big just replace some of our daily staples. When we got back we did a tour of a nearly empty campground. The find of the day was the PAVILION . Basically it is an oversized open air hall. There are a number of picnic tables and a small recess in the 1 wall that I assume can be utilized for a variety of purposes .We have been told it can be reserved by groups for a nominal fee.Resized_20221017_114405.jpg
The PAVILION
Resized_20221017_114342.jpg
Looking towards the recess
Resized_20221017_114346.jpg
A wood fired hearth

Monday after exploring the resort we both took a nap before heading off to THE ISLAND in PF . This is and this is strictly MY impression , TOURIST TRAP CENTRAL. That being said it is worth at least visiting once. We did tour some in our hour wait for a table at PAULA DEEN'S KITCHEN. This was a great choice both Lucille and I agreed. We selected the 3 entree with 4 sides option. For entrees Lucille got the Pot Roast , for me it was the Jambalaya and then Fried chicken for both of us. Sides were Creamed corn , creamed red potato's , cole slaw , and green beans. Our only complaint was the chunk of ham we found in round 2 of the green beans and then only because Lucille is deathly allergic to pork . Happily she didn't have a reaction.

Tuesday turned out to be a disaster. We discovered our refridgerator and freezer had warmed up to near dangerous levels. Having been thru this in the past I knew exactly what the problem was , The evaporator fan had died. As it is a residential unit we went and got our extended warranty directly from Maytag . They were told at the time we bought it we told them it is in our RV and they said no problem and sold it to us. They have serviced it twice now. AIG who they sold it to says because it is in an RV it is void and cancelling the contract. After 4 hours of going round and round I spoke with a rep that the nicest thing I can say about is that she should run for political office. When I insisted on speaking to her SUPERVISOR she answered she is the supervisor. When I said I wanted her supervisor same run around eventually she just hung up. I ended up ordering a new one and having it overnighted to me.
We ended up going out To MEL's DINER for dinner . Comfort food was on the menu but I can't remember exactly what we had

Wednesday I was up early and took care of the Girls while the coffee brewed. Lucille was up when I got back. We decided that we we needed to make some room in the fridge so off to my Quisinart version of a BLACKSTONE griddle. Made Lucille her scrambled eggs. Then went into full "Watch this " mode!
Our own Bama Ed had put forward an idea of how to make biscuits on the griddle. Out came the Pillsbury Grands the vegetable / fish plate for my grill
the baking rack I picked up for this trip some how got left behind so turning this upside down to rest on it's handles and raised edge was best option I had. Need to experiment a tad more with settings for initial browning top an bottom but 30 minutes on late with disposable roasting pan over it to create an improvised oven the looked right. Hint they was. Then did a pack of Bacon and some eggs for me .
After cleaning up it was off to PUBLIX to get some Staples and Ice so we can use fridge as a modified cooler. At 12 the front desk called to say they had a package for us . My afternoon was spent doing a 45min job. Apparently the fan had been malfunctioning long enough that the coils behind the face panel had iced up so much that the panel was frozen to the coils . Happily Lucille's Hair Dryer after 2 hours thawed things out enough that the panel could be removed . Now another 2 hours to defrost and dry the coils. At last I removed and replaced the fan panel and Ice maker and so far so good a week later. Dinner this night was the old camper standby. Hot Dogs and Burgers as these had defrosted the most

Wednesday I was up early and took care of the Girls while the coffee brewed. Lucille was up when I got back. We decided that we we needed to make some room in the fridge so off to my Quisinart version of a BLACKSTONE griddle. Made Lucille her scrambled eggs. Then went into full "Watch this " mode!
Our own Bama Ed had put forward an idea of how to make biscuits on the griddle. Out came the Pillsbury Grands the vegetable / fish plate for my grill

Yes I'm going to keep experimenting with the biscuit thing, Mike. Glad it worked out for you.

Boy you sure are handy working on that frig repair - a regular Mr. Fixit. Like @Teamubr was talking about owning a Class A, it helps if you can do some maintenance/repairs yourself. Even at my lower level with the Aliner, the same rule applies.

Ed

Ed Yeah the biscuit thing may take some experimenting But for 1st try they came out pretty good i think. Need to check and make sure I have 1 a baking rack small enough to actually fit under the roasting pan or even inside my WEBER Q Grill .

Learning to do many small repairs was how I was raised. For this one happily I watched what repairman did last 2 times so I had a good idea. MAYTAG also sent a link to a You Tube video that while not our exact model did show enough to make job somewhat clearer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter