Better Head Back to Tennessee Jed

Thursday came and at long last we didn't have the major problem of the last 2 days to deal with. As we were going to be just 75 miles from Dollywood for the wedding we decided instead of coming back in 6 weeks we go now and defer a Christmas visit till next year.. Arriving a touch after 11 am we parked in lot C. Not too bad for mid week and our arrival time.
Dollywood's rides are NOT Lucille's cup of tea. Thrill rides and heights are not for her. So today we more toured the the sections to the right of the entrance as we made our way to the Train ride. Learning the history of the train was interesting and watching the Sound Check of the Duet that would later perform near the train entrance was okay as well.
When we were there for the 2021 DIsmeet the Table Serve restaurants were all closed due to the COOTIES, when we got in the first few were saw hadn't opened for the day and we figured they still were. Should have asked as we hit the DOGS and Taters stand nicest I can say is we were dis appointed

I liked the train ride at Dollywood when we were there for the 2021 DISMeet, Mike.

When the train rolls up to its high point above the theme park and blows the whistle, it echoes down into the valley where the DIS folks were camping. Obviously riding a steam train was the highlight of my day back then.

Although me and @Bishoparc got to ride a few rides. Nothing crazy tho.

1282cfad-e8bd-4b80-ba17-3f3bcfd85eb9-jpeg.581218

Ed

ED I are a thrill ride Junkie. I still love them with the exception of spinning rides. Think Spinning Tea Cups in WDW Them I can't do. Log Flume are an other pass for me, Just don't relish the idea of walking around in wet shoes for next several hours

As we passed the point where you start to head back towards Entrance /Exit we hit the third entertainment performance of the day. A female Country singer from New Orleans with a special Guest. A Captain in the USMC on leave to perform with her and her band. While I hit a few more rides the Displays for the Festival of Harvest were worth of our time and attention. When we get home I will post pictures of them that I took in Friday evening when they were lit up for greater effect.
But I present these 2 photos as examples of evidence that one of our prominent posters "Has some SLAINING to do!"Resized_20221020_154423.jpgResized_20221020_154435.jpg

The news earlier this week of the passing of PaHunter , Chris B. has made it difficult for me to continue with this report. But then I decided it was only a fitting tribute to him to complete this story.

Friday we decided to go back to Dollywood and check out the lit up Pumpkin fest. During the day I hit the pool and Hot Tub. As the pools like the hot tub are heated, so while in them I was okay. Getting out was another story as temps were in the 60's.
We did ride around to check out the sites to see if those arriving over the last few days had ( The place went from 20% occupied to 85% ) added to the Halloween decorations. Only a few had.
The crowds at Dollywood were substantially larger than the previous day. As the last time we were there none of the Table service restaurants were open due to Covid we decided to try The Front Porch. I found The Gumbo was good loaded with Chicken and Sausage . Lucille was favorably impressed with her Fried Chicken.
After dinner we made our way over to the start of the Pumpkin decorations. On the way we watched THE CHICKEN LADY interact with a family with young kidsResized_20221021_181902.jpgResized_20221021_181849.jpg
My initial reaction was, " What Bloody Cartoon Did She Fall Out Of ? " But then I realized if we have another Dismeet in the Pigeon Forge area instead of Alligator Wrestling, Tenn, Wildlife Authorities are still upset over that, We could have a Cage Death Match with a date with this Lovely Young Lady as the prize for the winner.

FtWMike,Thank you for your trip report to Tenn. I would say you had a great time other than the frig problem.

Friendofeeyore, happy to share our trip . We have some more pics from Dollywood to post.

Resized_20221021_191240.jpgResized_20221021_191706.jpgResized_20221021_191732.jpeg
I also have to wonder did Bama Ed go join up with Tiggerdad and go incognito to relive his glory days

Resized_20221021_192855.jpgResized_20221021_192837.jpg

Attachments

• Resized_20221021_192738.jpeg
    Resized_20221021_192738.jpeg
    67.9 KB · Views: 1
Saturday was our prepare to travel day. Anything we that that sure we aren't going to use outside of the Colors was packed up and put away. That evening we went looping to see what additional decorations had gone up Sorry I forgot my phone. Some had gone all Out But the family trailer into a Pirate ship impressed me the most. Some families took advantage of the Hay Ride , Communal Fire pit for Smores and Crafts in the Pavillion

Last edited:
Sunday was a travel towards home day. The KOA in Natural Bridge Va. was our destination. We were very pleasantly surprised by this campground on the way down so we were very happy to stay here again. I had hoped to fuel up again at the Pilot station outside of Baileyton Tn. which had the cheapest gas on the way down. but it was just too crowded to do it safely. After a quick potty stop were back on the road and did stop at the Flying J in Max Meadows Va. They have 3 RV fueling lanes with both Gas and Diesel available. Again reaching the KOA at a very reasonable time we did a quick hook up, gave the girls a trip to the Dog Park and came back to start Dinner. To get a site close to the Bark Park we selected premium pad sites and they include a gas grill so no pulling out my Blackstone or WEBER Q grill.

Monday was another travel Day for us. This time only about 100 Miles with Charlottesville Va KOA as our destination. We had stayed here a few years back when another of my Nephews got married. But before we left I took some of the extra time we had and walked around. As i indicated earlier some of the other sites have partial fencing to define the actual site especially those that are on hillsides and have been excavated be be made
level
Resized_20221024_094443.jpg
A fence defined tent side

Resized_20221024_094134.jpg
Their deluxe pull thru sites
Resized_20221024_094449.jpg
One of the cabins

I also have to wonder did Bama Ed go join up with Tiggerdad and go incognito to relive his glory days

I can't speak for @tiggerdad as he is a bit pre-occupied these days but speaking strictly for myself, Brer Mike, these early retirement years while I'm still in my 50s ARE the glory days.

Nowhere in my background is there success in sports, music, or academia. I just kept grinding and trusting in God to show me a way.

As a lazy retired guy now, I'm hiking, camping, and backpacking, and walking around a beautiful southern campus.

We went to Dollywood during the 2021 DISMeet in the Smokies with @Bishoparc and his DW for a day and it was a throwback to my days as a kid in northeast Ohio going to the little local amusement park. (It closed but Dollywood had trains so kept growing).

I got big plans for the next two years or so but we will see what comes to fruition.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Mike, I'm playing catch-up these days on boards. I have ALWAYS enjoyed eastern TN in the fall time. Dollywood fall decorations have always been my preferred over the other holiday times there. Unfortunately the kids' school schedule has kept us from going for several years.

Appreciate the work on the report. Great pics man!

The Charlottesville KOA is definitely an older one, The pull thru sites in the front are narrow, gravel based and t you need to park at very front edge to be level. We have stayed here before in pre Pandemic days and knew it was close things we wanted to do. For our first night we went into the town for THE MALL. This is actually Main Street that has been closed to Automobile Traffic and lined with shops and restaurants. Three years ago this area was alive every night. We found places we wanted to go and shop in closing at 3 or 5 pm. Same with 2 of the restaurants we wanted to revisit.
We did find a place that was open an looked okay ( Food and service were good ) Our server said Local Authorities still had policies in effect that limited operations for many of the establishments.
The next day we considered visiting the Goat Farm next to the KOA only to find out it had closed the touring option and shop to the public. We had considered visiting MONTICELLO but decided to pass as we remembered a news story on how it gone POLITICALLY CORRECT and centered on Jefferson's owning of slaves ignoring his other accomplishments. So we stayed at the KOA and I took the girls for some hikes around the grounds and just relaxed for 2 days. Did do a nice shrimp dinner on my Blackstone Griddle.
After 3 nights we made our way home. Decided to try staying on I 64 to Richmond to I 95 and it was not as hilly as I had anticipated and there were a lot more rest stops than the I 81 to 66 route.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter