Beware of Very Cold Lazy River

Here now, my watch recorded the temp as 26C so around 82F, it was lovely and did a couple of circuits.

And holy heck - first visit - this place is AMAZING!!!
It is great you are having such a great time - Hawaii is amazing.

It seems that 26C is equal to 78.8F which is definitely on the cool side for resort activities IMO. You would need to be almost 2C warmer to be equivalent to 82F.

But it seems like they are on their way to properly warming the lazy River properly which is a win for guests. I’m happy to hear it.

So disappointing if this temp represents their solution. I’m not expecting the ocean to be bath water in Feb, but I was hoping the pools and lazy river would be warmer!

Attention Captain or anyone else interested. I would be willing to bet a large chunk of DVC points they use boilers to supplement the waste heat reclamation process used in the resorts cooling towers. No half assed HVAC engineer would ever design a system without redundancies/backups for when equipment fails.

PS I propose a trip to Aulani funded by the donation of DVC points from all interested disboard members for a fact finding mission by myself and the Captain. We will get to the bottom of this Very Cold Lazy River mystery we all find ourselves embroiled in.
My understanding is that the system was specifically designed without such redundancies so they could tout their green/eco-friendly bona fides.

Separately, am I the only one who likes a swimming pool to be cool and refreshing? I see pools as a way to cool off on a hot day, not take a bath with strangers.

I will be taking temps at multiple times starting next week. Stay tuned for updates.

I will be taking temps at multiple times starting next week. Stay tuned for updates.
Maui+peed+on+a+little+girl+_e8e1d71d2500c428bbb785af05820c76.jpg

My understanding is that the system was specifically designed without such redundancies so they could tout their green/eco-friendly bona fides.

Separately, am I the only one who likes a swimming pool to be cool and refreshing? I see pools as a way to cool off on a hot day, not take a bath with strangers.

If I'm strapping on my goggles and planning to swim laps for an hour, sure, I'd prefer a cooler pool. But on vacation I don't want to have to gradually slip into the pool while my body gets used to being cold.

I just want to mention that I have no current trip to Aulani planned and will likely never visit it either but I’ve been very invested in this thread for the past week or two 😂. I’m fully on the side of those who want and expect a warm lazy River and dealing with too cold pools or a chilly lazy river on vacation (when you expected them to be warm) is exactly the kind of thing I’d get worked up about, lol. Solidarity! ✊

Something broke and they just haven't fixed it yet. It's not a grand scheme.
So it is still not fixed?

Weaponized incompetence and indifference by management is not absolved because it’s not “a grand scheme.” And this LEED certification is not an excuse - the hot tubs are blazing hot. Not way that is not a separate boiler system or the like.

At least tell the staff so they have an answer when people inevitably ask. The runaround OP experienced is not Ok.

It is also bad business - I saw a (relatively positive) TripAdvisor review suggesting you bring wet suits for your kids b/c lagoon and pools were both cold. Suffice it to say they are not selling the tropical vacation in paradise at this point.

I just want to mention that I have no current trip to Aulani planned and will likely never visit it either but I’ve been very invested in this thread for the past week or two 😂. I’m fully on the side of those who want and expect a warm lazy River and dealing with too cold pools or a chilly lazy river on vacation (when you expected them to be warm) is exactly the kind of thing I’d get worked up about, lol. Solidarity! ✊
This is getting as heated (no pun or offense intended to the pools or grills) as The Great 2021-2022 BBQ Grill Closure.

Last edited:
So it is still not fixed?

Weaponized incompetence and indifference by management is not absolved because it’s not “a grand scheme.” And this LEED certification is not an excuse - the hot tubs are blazing hot. Not way that is not a separate boiler system or the like.

At least tell the staff so they have an answer when people inevitably ask. The runaround OP experienced is not Ok.
Because nobody cares. Four people in the world care and they're all posting in this thread.

It is also bad business - I saw a (relatively positive) TripAdvisor review suggesting you bring wet suits for your kids b/c lagoon and pools were both cold. Suffice it to say they are not selling the tropical vacation in paradise at this point.
Holy crap now we're dinging Aulani because the PACIFIC OCEAN isn't the temperature that some people would like?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter