Big Apple, Boardwalk, and Beach - Bullies and Wrap-up (The End!) (pg 44)

I want to be a part of it, New York New York

Let’s get this show on the road. Literally. ‘Cause it’s a trip report.

The first portion of the trip was Judy and I taking Marlene to New York City, as a graduation celebration. Marlene will be doing the heavy-lifting, trip reporting-wise, and her text will appear in orange.

Some people asked why her graduation trip wasn’t to Paris (since she loves all things French) and it brought back some memories in planning this trip because she did actually try to angle for a trip to France...New York City was a bit of a hard-sell. She offered to throw in all of her savings, or she could go by herself (to save money, of course). But before we could even take a breath and respond with some kind of reasoning, her sister Lauren (firstborn, and therefore the rule-enforcer) jumped in with, “Absolutely not! I was only allowed to pick someplace on the RCI list between North Carolina and Maine. Europe is out of the question! And besides, New York is great.” So there you go. And once we settled on New York City, planning specific activities was a little difficult too. She didn’t want to do the boat tour that was a highlight for Lauren and Judy. She wasn’t interested in seeing the Statue of Liberty. She didn’t care about getting on the Today show. Also, our contact at the Museum of Natural History (Andrew, the bug exhibitor) isn’t there anymore, so no free tickets for us, and she wasn’t interested in that anyway. We were at least able to narrow-down the activities to a Broadway show (more on that in a later chapter), and she wanted to go to the New York Botanical Gardens. Other than that, we were going to play it by ear.

One more thing to note is that having Judy along was a late addition. When Lauren went on her graduation trip we decided that Judy would accompany her and I’d stay home with the younger kids. Then, for Marlene’s trip I’d get to go and Judy would stay home with James. And for James, we’d both go. Well, when this one rolled around, I had a full day of work that needed to be done the day after we arrived in NYC. We came up with a plan that Judy would come along (Lauren would be home with James and as you can see, he’s gotten big enough that he doesn’t need a lot of supervision), and I would work remotely from the hotel room that day. I planned the Botanical Gardens trip for that day, which I saw as a win/win, since I got out of it. ;) However, we only had 2 tickets for the Broadway show since I’d ordered them way back in December, but Judy was okay with not seeing it. It would have kept her up waaay past her bedtime anyway.

Enough preamble, let’s get going. We started out on Tuesday June 16th, driving to the train station in Hamilton, NJ and taking the train into the city. Here we go...

Hello, Dizzers! Allow me to introduce myself: My name is Marlene. I am the second child of three in the Glennbo clan. I plan to study music composition and dietetics in college next year! This summer so far has been super hectic and wonderful – I have gone on vacation after vacation. As you probably know, my father has commissioned me (quite cheaply, I might add) to write a trip report from my own point of view for his lovely readers (that would be you!), so here we go. I have decided to include pictures of my own from my snapchat story to add a little artistic flair – and to continuously remind you readers that I am, in fact, a teenager. The next few photos are from our ultra-interesting journey from home to the train and thus to the city! On our way I was kindly informed that (1) Madison Square Garden is not, in fact a garden, (2) my father has very useful pockets in his cargo pants, and (3) he likes to make plane noises when we drive by the airport.

055_zpsiz5tr3pd.jpg

054_zpsns2b9ecr.jpg

053_zpsk6rsvxa7.jpg

IMG_8406_zpsopbji12e.jpg

IMG_8409_zpsk0epvfyt.jpg

IMG_1952_zpsrxnhbk7p.jpg

052_zpsbnlduidk.jpg

This is a reference to band. I apologize for the inside joke, but I figured I’d keep it anyway.

Our first cab ride. I was hoping for the Cash Cab.

IMG_8410_zpsdfptgk3o.jpg

Instagram Video of the big moment. My brother-in-law who grew up in Brooklyn posted, "Don't act like freakin' tourists!"

We got to our hotel, The Manhattan Club, but our room wasn’t ready yet so we had to stow our luggage with Bell Services and find something to do.

I guess this is a good time to mention that our Manhattan Club booking was a DVC trade-out through RCI. Like last time, I had no trouble booking it, the first time I called. You can now book this hotel directly through DVC, but the points are higher that way so I did a regular trade-out. (Also, you can have a similar overall trip experience to ours by doing the New York Adventures By Disney trip, but that’s waaaay more points and money. And it’s a blatant rip-off of the last time I planned this trip for Judy and Lauren -- including pretty much everything I planned for them, with the exception of swapping “Newsies” for “Wicked”, but I digress.)

So anyway, we needed to find something to do, and fortunately we had a couple things on our list. One was to see FAO Schwartz, the iconic toy store, before it closed its Fifth Avenue location. Once there, Marlene got in line to play the “Big” piano.

A music major that DOESN’T play the Big piano? Heresy!

IMG_8413_zpsmgm4yn5d.jpg

IMG_8415_zpsfishvkmk.jpg

IMG_8416_zpsikzrywji.jpg

IMG_8418_zpsifepjnsf.jpg

I hit "record" on my phone and got some video with one hand while taking pictures with the other!

We got to see a muppet-making shop! Pretty cool! Dad had a geek-out moment. Apparently he always wanted a muppet when he was little! I did! I had to confess that when I was young I read in a magazine, National Geographic “World” if my memory is correct, that they went through several muppets every year due to wear-and-tear. Of the biggies anyway, Kermit, Miss Piggy, etc. I was tempted to write to Jim Henson and beg to get one of those used muppets, but never did. Anyway, this place inside FAO Schwarz was like a Build-A-Bear Workshop, but you could build a muppet instead. I’d never seen one of these before, or even knew they existed. Are there others? Why on earth do they not have one in Disney Hollywood Studios. They’d make a killing.

IMG_8419_zpsj4p3cwn9.jpg

IMG_8420_zpsajbwlnsw.jpg

IMG_8421_zpsiklqhejc.jpg

For our next stop, Marlene wanted to see where Julliard is. We started walking there and passed a shop that had an unbelievable piano in it.

And of course, I had to get a picture with the expensive piano! We were on our way to visit Juilliard (the “Harvard“ of music schools, mmkay?) and passed this fantastic shop. Through the glass windows I spied the most extravagant GREEN piano I have ever seen. No, my favorite color is not green, but you have to admit that this piano is GORGEOUS! When I asked the sales clerk how much it was – for the record, of course – he replied, “That piano is on sale for $65,000,” That’ll get me out of a store really quick!

IMG_8423_zpstmn9otly.jpg

Reminds me of one of my favorite scenes from "The Pink Panther".

Next we HAD to check out Juilliard, AKA the DREAM school! My favorite soundtrack composer was taught in this exact school – Michael Giacchino (Star Trek 2012 and other favorites).

IMG_8424_zpsy9gj81h0.jpg

IMG_8426_zpsf9ddvibv.jpg

By this time we were feeling kind of hungry. We decided to check out a bakery (called Levain) that had been referred to us by my cousin, who was pretty familiar with the city! We headed in its direction and found it relatively easily. Mom couldn’t eat anything because she can’t have gluten, so dad and I got this baguette with tomato, mozzarella, and basil, which I really enjoyed, and a cinnamon brioche.

IMG_8428_zpsegmu6jty.jpg

IMG_8429_zpshrkmgfqm.jpg

IMG_8432_zpsf5y2gx5z.jpg

IMG_1955_zps8wahluvx.jpg

I had to get to some food pictures before I ended this chapter. I know my DISers!

Up next: Let me take you down, 'cause I'm going to...

Last edited:
Great start! I'm with Marlene, I love France! I was an exchange student there for a whole school year in high school. I've never gotten back though. One of my favorite t-shirts is from the France pavilion at Epcot. Never been into berets though.

Strawberry Fields! You are on an awesome musical trip for your musical girl!

Hi Marlene! Enjoying your writing and your pics. I hope you were happy with your destination after all.

Strawberry Fields! You are on a great trip for your musical girl!
I made a Muppet for home ec in high school! I think I let my boys play with it when I became a mom and sadly that was the end of her.

Hi Marlene! I'm really enjoying your writing and your pics! I hope you were happy with your destination after all, and that school is going well so far.

Hello! I'm joining in. My name's Clare. And I admit, I have read all of your past TRs but never posted. I thought I should come out of hiding now, though. I'm excited to follow along! So far, NYC sounds fun. I'm liking the teenager's perspective too!

Great arrival day in New York!!

Anyway, this place inside FAO Schwarz was like a Build-A-Bear Workshop, but you could build a muppet instead. I’d never seen one of these before, or even knew they existed. Are there others? Why on earth do they not have one in Disney Hollywood Studios. They’d make a killing.

I remember that a workshop like this was at one point announced to come to DHS, but it never materialised... Maybe with the restart of the Muppet Show they will reconsider?

You can now book this hotel directly through DVC, but the points are higher that way so I did a regular trade-out.

Interesting! Would you mind sharing how many points you spent? I had no idea that there are different ways of booking it!

Loved the piano pictures!! Playing with green socks really has some style!

Some people asked why her graduation trip wasn’t to Paris

Because it would be a bazillion dollars. Is there another reason?

But before we could even take a breath and respond with some kind of reasoning, her sister Lauren (firstborn, and therefore the rule-enforcer) jumped in with, “Absolutely not! I was only allowed to pick someplace on the RCI list between North Carolina and Maine. Europe is out of the question! And besides, New York is great.

Ah, yes. Kids are always quick to blow the fairness whistle on their siblings.

I planned the Botanical Gardens trip for that day, which I saw as a win/win, since I got out of it.

Veteran move there. Nice work!

Hello, Dizzers!

Hi Marlene!

(3) he likes to make plane noises when we drive by the airport.

Wow, this TR is totally paying off already!:rotfl2:

And it’s a blatant rip-off of the last time I planned this trip for Judy and Lauren -- including pretty much everything I planned for them, with the exception of swapping “Newsies” for “Wicked”, but I digress.

You'd think Adventures by Disney would give you a commission or something.

Anyway, this place inside FAO Schwarz was like a Build-A-Bear Workshop, but you could build a muppet instead. I’d never seen one of these before, or even knew they existed. Are there others? Why on earth do they not have one in Disney Hollywood Studios. They’d make a killing.

Whoa. Please, whatever you do, do NOT tell my wife and daughter about this place.

“That piano is on sale for $65,000,” That’ll get me out of a store really quick!

Aw, but it's Green Bay Packer-themed and everything!

My favorite soundtrack composer was taught in this exact school – Michael Giacchino (Star Trek 2012 and other favorites).

Marlene has excellent taste in composers. Giacchino is a great one.

You are off to a fun start! So cool to watch the Muppets being made. That bakery looks yummy as I'm eating my breakfast. :)

Jill in CO

Great start! I'm with Marlene, I love France! I was an exchange student there for a whole school year in high school. I've never gotten back though.

What a great experience I’m sure that was. You definitely need to get back. The exchange rates are great now, just sayin’.

One of my favorite t-shirts is from the France pavilion at Epcot. Never been into berets though.

I hear you on berets. That’s a tough look to pull off.

Strawberry Fields! You are on an awesome musical trip for your musical girl!

Thanks Tammie. We tried!

I made a Muppet for home ec in high school! I think I let my boys play with it when I became a mom and sadly that was the end of her.

:laughing: Thrown to a pack of wolves!

Hi Marlene! I'm really enjoying your writing and your pics! I hope you were happy with your destination after all, and that school is going well so far.

I’ll pass that along. The few weeks of school she’s had so far have gone well.

Hello! I'm joining in. My name's Clare. And I admit, I have read all of your past TRs but never posted. I thought I should come out of hiding now, though. I'm excited to follow along! So far, NYC sounds fun. I'm liking the teenager's perspective too!

Hi Clare! :welcome: Thanks for reading my past trip reports, and it’s good to have you along for this one! We had a nice time in NYC, but more on that as we progress.

Great arrival day in New York!!

Not too shabby. It did mist some rain while we were walking around, but we didn’t let it slow us down.

I remember that a workshop like this was at one point announced to come to DHS, but it never materialised... Maybe with the restart of the Muppet Show they will reconsider?

Interesting. I hadn’t heard that. It seems like they have so many changes planned for DHS that maybe they put that one on the back-burner. (Why do I always pull out these unusual phrases for my foreign readers?! Now you’ll have to go research “putting something on the back burner”.)

Interesting! Would you mind sharing how many points you spent? I had no idea that there are different ways of booking it!

Fortunately I have some notes on this, because I can’t find it on the Disney Vacation Club website anymore. At the time, you could also book this particular hotel as part of the Concierge Collection rather than going through RCI. Doing that, it would have been 25 points for weeknights and 75 points for a Friday or Saturday. The advantage was that you could get it booked; you didn’t have to hope that an RCI trade would come through. Alternately, you could do an RCI trade, which would be 16 points for weeknights and 27 points for a Friday or Saturday (plus the $95 fee). When I called, the RCI trade was available so it just sounded to me like “would you like to pay 48 points (16 x 3 nights) + $95; or 75 points?” I chose 48 points.

Loved the piano pictures!! Playing with green socks really has some style!

Thanks! She’s got style all right.

Because it would be a bazillion dollars. Is there another reason?

That is pretty high on the list.

Ah, yes. Kids are always quick to blow the fairness whistle on their siblings.

In a way, it's kinda nice to not always have to be the one saying "no". :laughing:

Veteran move there. Nice work!

Not my first rodeo.

Hi Marlene!

Hi. Are you the one my dad warned me about? Just kidding, it's still me Mark. But with this font-color button, I can do a pretty good impression of Marlene!

Wow, this TR is totally paying off already!:rotfl2:

What she left out is the fact that I was re-creating the opening few measures of the Beatles' "Back in the U.S.S.R.".

You'd think Adventures by Disney would give you a commission or something.

Yes. I'm still waiting.

Whoa. Please, whatever you do, do NOT tell my wife and daughter about this place.

Lucky for you, it's not there anymore. The Fifth Avenue location closed later in the summer. I'm not sure if they opened somewhere else or what.

Aw, but it's Green Bay Packer-themed and everything!

There's a selling point. It's kind of a niche-market. Packers fans who have studied under Van Cliburn and have a massive amount of disposable income.

Marlene has excellent taste in composers. Giacchino is a great one.

The Star Trek soundtrack (from a couple of years ago) is one of her favorites.

You are off to a fun start! So cool to watch the Muppets being made. That bakery looks yummy as I'm eating my breakfast. :)

Jill in CO

Thanks Jill. I think that bakery would be yummy anytime, breakfast or otherwise!

But before we could even take a breath and respond with some kind of reasoning, her sister Lauren (firstborn, and therefore the rule-enforcer) jumped in with, “Absolutely not! I was only allowed to pick someplace on the RCI list between North Carolina and Maine. Europe is out of the question! And besides, New York is great.”
Well, you can't argue with that logic. Sorry, Marlene.

(Lauren would be home with James and as you can see, he’s gotten big enough that he doesn’t need a lot of supervision),
Um... Glenn, I think you're looking at this the wrong way. Usually when they get that big is when they need more adult supervision... :rolleyes1

and I would work remotely from the hotel room that day. I planned the Botanical Gardens trip for that day, which I saw as a win/win, since I got out of it.
::yes::

As you probably know, my father has commissioned me (quite cheaply, I might add) to write a trip report from my own point of view for his lovely readers (that would be you!), so here we go.
Hi Marlene! Thanks for playing along.

he likes to make plane noises when we drive by the airport.
Um.. you're a teenager. You just graduated. And you're just now figuring this one out?

I was tempted to write to Jim Henson and beg to get one of those used muppets, but never did.
Oh wow... just think how much that thing would be worth today...

And of course, I had to get a picture with the expensive piano! We were on our way to visit Juilliard (the “Harvard“ of music schools, mmkay?) and passed this fantastic shop. Through the glass windows I spied the most extravagant GREEN piano I have ever seen. No, my favorite color is not green, but you have to admit that this piano is GORGEOUS! When I asked the sales clerk how much it was – for the record, of course – he replied, “That piano is on sale for $65,000,” That’ll get me out of a store really quick!
Hey! You might need that for school. You could just add it to the student loans... :rolleyes1

Well, you can't argue with that logic. Sorry, Marlene.

Right. So don't even try.

Um... Glenn, I think you're looking at this the wrong way. Usually when they get that big is when they need more adult supervision... :rolleyes1

I know what you mean, but I wasn't really worried that a keg would be rolling into my house.

Hi Marlene! Thanks for playing along.

She was happy to do it. You would be too, to get your arm untwisted. ;)

Um.. you're a teenager. You just graduated. And you're just now figuring this one out?

Maybe this was the first time she realized that it wasn't actual airplanes that were making those noises?! Construction sites are the worst -- I have to come up with those jackhammer noises.

Oh wow... just think how much that thing would be worth today...

What do you think this is...Antiques Roadshow? :laughing:

Hey! You might need that for school. You could just add it to the student loans... :rolleyes1

:rotfl2:

I figured that it was built into the tuition and every incoming freshman got one of those! :laughing:

:wave: I've lurked on all your other reports, but I actually caught this one at the beginning (woohoo!), so wanted to jump in. Love the start! And the three week vacation part. And the going to NY part. And...well, just all of it.

Now, for my DVC ignorance to kick in...what is this trade in versus booking direct to save points amazingness you talk about? I'm DVC and know nothing of it. And we want to go to NY, so I need to know :thumbsup2

Funny how the kids made the choices for you, and you didn't even have to put up an argument regarding France!

My name is Marlene. I am the second child of three in the Glennbo clan. I plan to study music composition and dietetics in college next year!

Hi Marlene! Nice to meet you. I was a music major in college, but composition sounds like a much more useful major than saxophone performance, especially since my school didn't even have a jazz degree at the time.

I'm guessing that piano is your instrument.

Why on earth do they not have one in Disney Hollywood Studios. They’d make a killing.

You're totally right, while I would never build a bear, or a hot rod car, I would have a hard time resisting building a Muppet!

Next we HAD to check out Juilliard, AKA the DREAM school! My favorite soundtrack composer was taught in this exact school – Michael Giacchino (Star Trek 2012 and other favorites).

A very good choice for a favorite soundtrack composer....he is among my top favorites.

I had to get to some food pictures before I ended this chapter. I know my DISers!

But what did Judy eat? :confused3 Did she starve to death?

I love that Marlene is contributing to the trip report! :thumbsup2

Ah, siblings and fairness. I'm reminded of the time when my parents bought my sister a BRAND NEW (albeit, basic) Ford Fusion as her first car, while years before I'd received a thirteen-year-old Honda Accord. We'll just say that I was less than pleased. >:(

(Yes, we were both very fortunate to have received vehicle at all and I understood their reasoning for Anika's car... but seriously? A NEW CAR?! :sad2: )

A build a muppet shop?! That's AWESOME!!! :worship: What a shame that it's no longer open as I would LOVE to do this!

Marlene looks so happy in front of the Julliard school. :D

All caught up! :) Fun start to what I know is going to be an all-around great trip. You've already seen some fun things, especially the Muppet place. Having grown up with them, like you, they hold a special place in my heart. Mmmm! baked goods, and I LOVE your choice of caprese!!

:wave: I've lurked on all your other reports, but I actually caught this one at the beginning (woohoo!), so wanted to jump in. Love the start! And the three week vacation part. And the going to NY part. And...well, just all of it.

Hi ariel1025 :welcome: Thank you for reading my other trip reports and welcome to this one. I'm glad you caught it at the start.

Now, for my DVC ignorance to kick in...what is this trade in versus booking direct to save points amazingness you talk about? I'm DVC and know nothing of it. And we want to go to NY, so I need to know :thumbsup2

Around the same time that Adventures by Disney copied my whole itineary ;) (ie. a couple of years ago) DVC announced that they were adding this particular hotel, The Manhattan Club, to the Concierge Collection...so you could either book it directly that way or go through RCI. I guess the advantage is that you don't have to hope that you're able to find an RCI trade. But...the points are different. It's more expensive point-wise to do it that way. When I called Member Services I could have done it that way (through Concierge Collection) and paid 25 points for weeknights and 75 points for a Friday or Saturday; or gone through RCI and paid 16 points for weeknights and 27 points for a Friday or Saturday (plus the $95 fee). Since the RCI trade was available when I called I went that route and paid only 48 points (16 x 3 nights) + $95; rather than the 75 points it would have cost the other way. I don't see anything about it on the website now, so maybe it was just a temporary thing.

Funny how the kids made the choices for you, and you didn't even have to put up an argument regarding France!

Sometimes it seems like we have lots of parents in the house! The pecking order becomes apparent!

Hi Marlene! Nice to meet you. I was a music major in college, but composition sounds like a much more useful major than saxophone performance, especially since my school didn't even have a jazz degree at the time.

I'm hoping that it might turn out to be useful, but not real sure about that to be honest. We've also asked her to have backup plan so she is going to study dietetics (she's very interested in nutrition) also, but that won't kick in for another year or so.

I'm guessing that piano is your instrument.

Nope...oboe. Although she's played flute in marching band and is now playing mellophone in her college marching band. I think she's wishing she'd stuck with piano lessons longer at this point!

You're totally right, while I would never build a bear, or a hot rod car, I would have a hard time resisting building a Muppet!

I believe it!

A very good choice for a favorite soundtrack composer....he is among my top favorites.

The Stark Trek soundtrack is good, but I confess I'm not familiar with anything else. There are probably things I know that I don't know who wrote them.

But what did Judy eat? :confused3 Did she starve to death?

I think the answer to this is...nearly, yes. I think she stopped in a store that was right around the corner from this bakery but didn't really find anything. I think she ended up snacking on some nuts and things she had along with her. "Nuts and twigs" I call them. She was famished by dinnertime.

I love that Marlene is contributing to the trip report! :thumbsup2

Hey, me too! i can use the help.

Ah, siblings and fairness. I'm reminded of the time when my parents bought my sister a BRAND NEW (albeit, basic) Ford Fusion as her first car, while years before I'd received a thirteen-year-old Honda Accord. We'll just say that I was less than pleased. >:(

(Yes, we were both very fortunate to have received vehicle at all and I understood their reasoning for Anika's car... but seriously? A NEW CAR?! :sad2: )

Wow, yes, I can see that would be a little irritating. Well, at least no one gave her a big multi-resort, restaurant-splurging, surprise mega-trip-of-the-century to DisneyWorld. Oh, wait a second. :laughing:
A build a muppet shop?! That's AWESOME!!! :worship: What a shame that it's no longer open as I would LOVE to do this!

I know! I didn't do it, because I'm nearly grown-up at this point ;), but yeah. I think this would be perfect at DHS.

Marlene looks so happy in front of the Julliard school. :D

Yes, she was really thrilled to be there, and that was just the sidewalk outside!

All caught up! :) Fun start to what I know is going to be an all-around great trip. You've already seen some fun things, especially the Muppet place. Having grown up with them, like you, they hold a special place in my heart.

It was a pretty good start. A lot of walking, but fun. Yes, had that muppet place come along at the right time (ie. 40 years ago), I would have had to have one.

Mmmm! baked goods, and I LOVE your choice of caprese!!

Mmmm. I was wishing we'd bought more stuff there!

Wow, Marlene and James have really grown! And if you had posted a picture of a large group, and asked for a James sighting, I'm not sure I would have been able to pick him out. :eek: Tell that young man he needs to slow it down a little.................

Nice start to the NY part of the trip! It appears Marlene has picked up some of her Ol' Man's writing style. Sounds like a lot of interesting adventures while you were there. That piano is certainly...........interesting! :rolleyes1

That build a Muppet shop does look pretty cool, and now that you and I don't have any small kids anymore to drain our wallets, I agree that I can't believe there isn't one at DHS..........what is Disney waiting on??? :confused3

Looks like a pretty good bakery, but I hope you guys found somewhere else to keep poor Judy from starving! :scared:

I don't know if I have ever commented before, but I love your trip reports and have been anxiously awaiting your latest! Your crew always seems to attack every new adventure with gusto. (Is a Disney wedding in your future?)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter