Big FP+ News: Starting 2/19 New DHS Tiers, MFSR FP+ Added, READ POST #1

While I'm kind of disappointed in this in the sense that I was hoping the new attractions would just never get FP (MFSR was pretty good at moving people through as Standby-only), it does make sense in a couple other ways:

-Takes pressure off SDD as THE in-demand FP+ at DHS
-Gets RnR and ToT back off of Tier 1 where IMO they didn't really belong to begin with. They were constantly available as "4th FPs" because of the tiering, which didn't help standby times... it helped people who played the 4th FP/ refresh, refresh game.

This is awesome we just totally rearranged our days at HS for our upcoming spring break trip.

Got Smugglers Run and Tower one day.

Also able to grab all Toy Story land attractions on another. Super excited! :cool1:

I agree with your perspective on the tiers, but refresh was so easy for TSMM, RNRC, and ToT on our last trip and I think that was largely because of the tier 1 status.

I think this probably hurts refresh, but then again we don’t need refresh like before (those of us who can book 60+ days out).
We live in proximity and we never prebook fps because we have no problems getting anything day of. Studios was a bit of a pain for sdd for a bit but we finally figured that one out as well. We find day of to be easy regardless of what we want. I just think by spreading the tiers like this at studios will make it similar to ak and ep which are both a breeze. We dont care for mfsr so it's not a priority for us and we have done rotr several times so it also isnt a priority. SDD is fun and while not a real coaster for us because we are accustomed to the larger coasters at sea world, universal, and busch, it's still a relaxing fun ride while in studios

My only concern now is that they won't be giving boarding passes for rise of the resistance now and it will be a 3 hrs wait :/ . Do you think this is a possibility after Feb 19.?

After many anxious moments I finally got in to rearrange our two HS dates:

Day 1 @ HS (Arrival Day)
Was: Rock'N'Roller Coaster, Little Mermaid, Star Tours
Now: Rock'N"Roller Coaster (11:55-12:55), Tower of Terror (12:50-1:55), Slinky Dog Dash (3:10-4:10)
Our 60 day was yesterday and SDD was already completely gone for Day 1 and only late evening on the other day we had planned for HS, so this is a major win!

Day 2 @ HS
Was: Toy Story Mania, Star Tours, MuppetVision
Now: Toy Story Mania (9:40-10:40), Rock'N"Roller Coaster (10:45-11:45), Millennium Falcon (12:10-1:10)

Now if I can just find a Flight of Passage FP+ for our Animal Kingdom day.

70-80% of people will use fastpass and have short waits .but stand bye wait will go up a lot (think FOP wait times )

I don't think this is true. MFSR has about 20% more hourly capacity than FOP which may not sound like a lot but on crowd level 1-5 days it will make an enormous difference. In addition, it is not the #1 Must-Do attraction in the park, and it excludes more people for motion sickness and other concerns.

But most importantly, the number of guests who want to ride per day doesn't change. sure, 50-80% will use the FP lines (depending on exactly how they decide to structure it), but those people come out of the standby line. People who are looking at the ride at 60 minutes now and saying "naw" will still look at the ride at 60 minutes and say "naw" with FP, that will keep the wait times relatively stable on average. See below for more thoughts though.

So at first I thought this was the greatest thing ever now I am not sure so looking for others thoughts.

Is this worse for people who schedule FP+ at 30 days out? Is this just really helping the 60 day out people?

Trying to figure out if I have to get a room now for my March 30 visit

I don't know but I have a suggestion on how to learn more: I would wait about a week for things to adjust, then look on the TouringPlans FastPass Availability Finder (which is part of the free part of their site) at the FPs available 30 days out then. That should give you some idea of the impact.

For me, I'll take the FP+. Although in the "evening" MFSR is a manageable wait, current wait is 110 minutes, and it generally seems to be over an hour when I look....
I think the timing of when MFSR is busy will change with this. I imagine longer evening lines (people with FPs will be committed) and shorter afternoon lines (so they won't be going earlier). I think mornings will remain busy because the SW fans who show up to get BGs will want to go ride the other Star Wars ride right away, even if they also have a FP for later. Just a guess.

We saw a time and added but got a system error before any confirmation and of course we can't see plans now so we have no idea if it went through or not. We'll see!

MRR should definitely be tier 1 when opening, it'd be nonsense to have two boarding group rides and forcing non stars people who otherwise wouldnt be in the park into an already crowded park. RoR should eventually be tier 1 too.
MMRR is going to have to be BG at least for a month. While not ROTR level, the ride is pretty complex and relies on a lot of new technology operating properly. That will lead to breakdowns after opening until they workout all the kinks.

MMRR is going to have to be BG at least for a month. While not ROTR level, the ride is pretty complex and relies on a lot of new technology operating properly. That will lead to breakdowns after opening until they workout all the kinks.

I doubt they want two different rides on BG. I'd bet MMRR will be standby only for a while.

I doubt they want two different rides on BG. I'd bet MMRR will be standby only for a while.

Yep this is how I see it going. MMRR should a much safer ride to open and easier to predict success.

Figured changes would be coming before our trip over the Holidays, just surprised they came so soon.

My mind is blown.

Instead of TSMM, and 2 throwaways we now have TSMM, MFSR, and a split between RNRC and ToT. 😨
This exactly! Our exact FP's! We were going for SDD rather than MFSR, but after refreshing on my phone and laptop for 20 minutes of getting the error screens, I was ready to take what I can get. Our HS day is March 4-I am still doubtful they offer FP on opening day, and will continue to hope we can join two boarding groups!

Welp, completely rearranged my HS day. I didn’t grab MFSR because I rode it a bunch during the AP preview and would prefer SDD but was able to change other things and get other people in my party MFSR.
Thanks!

But most importantly, the number of guests who want to ride per day doesn't change. sure, 50-80% will use the FP lines (depending on exactly how they decide to structure it), but those people come out of the standby line. People who are looking at the ride at 60 minutes now and saying "naw" will still look at the ride at 60 minutes and say "naw" with FP, that will keep the wait times relatively stable on average. See below for more thoughts though.

I have to disagree with you here. I've got a 4 year old who is 40.5 inches tall and frequently has to use the bathroom. There is no way that I was ever waiting on a 1 hour line with her for any ride. Now, we're definitely going to try to get a fastpass for MFSR. If I get a fastpass I won't be one of the people who would have ridden it before it switched to fastpass. I'm sure there are more like me out there.

Yeah its funny that MDE is crashed because of this announcement as it wasnt really a ride that needed FP to begin with. Sad the relatively short standby line will now be twice as long. MFSR was a prime example of how FP+ isn't needed everywhere.
I agree,

And I think that is also a perfect example of how the FP+ system in general is broken at all of the parks. Longer lines then necessary.

Maybe Disney knows this (?), and is why I think we will see a paid FP+ system in place before the 50th anniversary in 2021.

Just my 2 cents

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter