Blue Bayou desserts and coffee only

jeanico2000

DIS Veteran
I believe this must have been asked a million times before, but I can't locate any recent threads, sorry! my husband and I will be going to DL on my birthday and have a 3:50PM reservation at Blue Bayou. We want to go in for coffee/tea and dessert only (1 crème brûlée, 1 piece of chocolate cake), to celebrate the occasion, because this used to be one of our very favourite places back in the days when it was actually affordable (first time we went there was on our honeymoon, 41 years ago). Have any of you done this recently? I was careful to select an "off peak" meal time, and we are not the type to linger for more than 45 minutes. TIA for sharing your experiences!

Shouldn’t one tip the standard 20% of the bill no matter the total? Is that what you mean by this?
I would tip at a higher rate in this case. The bill for a table ordering two desserts is going to be a lot lower than a table having entrees, but not much less work for the server and the turnover time isn’t much shorter. So what I think that poster was saying is tip based on a more standard meal bill, not your actual bill.

Shouldn’t one tip the standard 20% of the bill no matter the total? Is that what you mean by this?
No, the table having only coffee and a couple desserts and going to be considerably less than if the guests had had full meals, take up a similar time, and a similar amount of time from the server. By using a table that could have brought the server a tip on a higher bill, I simply suggest tip as if you are that higher billed table.

A couple friends and I enjoy going to a couple places and we do take up a table, ordering coffee/tea/sodas. We sit and chit chat, our server stops to refill drinks, ask if there are other things we need, bring things needed, etc... Our bill may only be $20 tops, but we have also taken up the time of the server. We will usually tip a minimum of $20-30 as we have used the table they could have turned over.

No, the table having only coffee and a couple desserts and going to be considerably less than if the guests had had full meals, take up a similar time, and a similar amount of time from the server. By using a table that could have brought the server a tip on a higher bill, I simply suggest tip as if you are that higher billed table.

A couple friends and I enjoy going to a couple places and we do take up a table, ordering coffee/tea/sodas. We sit and chit chat, our server stops to refill drinks, ask if there are other things we need, bring things needed, etc... Our bill may only be $20 tops, but we have also taken up the time of the server. We will usually tip a minimum of $20-30 as we have used the table they could have turned over.
Ok yes! That’s makes sense!
If I ever go there for less than the regular meal, I’ll make sure to tip more then. Thanks for explaining. Makes perfect sense.

There were previous reports that this was not being allowed. You might want to be sure that someone who has been there recently and done this confirms it.

I also want to add a comment with regards to the tipping comments: I have been working in sales since forever, and don't expect to receive the same amount of commission on a $5,000 sale as on a $500 sale, even though they sometimes require the same amount of time/work on my part to achieve. It's the nature of the beast and, at the end of the day, it averages out. I am sure that some Blue Bayou patrons spend a whole lot more than I ever would (or could) and tip accordingly. at the end of the day, it averages out for the waiters too. In all due respect, it does not take the same amount of work to bring out 2 coffees and 2 desserts than to bring out a full meal, which requires changes of plates, water refills, checking that everything is to everyone's liking, etc... We are not booked for a noon time or 6PM reservation here, but for a totally 'off peak' eating time. 4PM for us is 'l'heure du goûter', in other words tea time. Bring on the cake!

Last edited:
I also want to add a comment with regards to the tipping comments: I have been working in sales since forever, and don't expect to receive the same amount of commission on a $5,000 sale as on a $500 sale, even though they sometimes require the same amount of time/work on my part to achieve. It's the nature of the beast and, at the end of the day, it averages out. I am sure that some Blue Bayou patrons spend a whole lot more than I ever would (or could) and tip accordingly. at the end of the day, it averages out for the waiters too. In all due respect, it does not take the same amount of work to bring out 2 coffees and 2 desserts than to bring out a full meal, which requires changes of plates, water refills, checking that everything is to everyone's liking, etc... We are not booked for a noon time or 6PM reservation here, but for a totally 'off peak' eating time. 4PM for us is 'l'heure du goûter', in other words tea time. Bring on the cake!
It's ok, I don't expect everyone to agree with me. But the servers will come to check all is good with your desserts, return to make refills, check back to see if you need other things. And for you, it may be tea time, but for families with small children, it can be early dinner time. For me, if I was taking up their time from 4-5p, I would not be tipping $5 simply because that was all the coffee and cake needed. I do understand tips "even out". The point is likely moot as I thought 1 entree was required to be ordered.

It's ok, I don't expect everyone to agree with me. But the servers will come to check all is good with your desserts, return to make refills, check back to see if you need other things. And for you, it may be tea time, but for families with small children, it can be early dinner time. For me, if I was taking up their time from 4-5p, I would not be tipping $5 simply because that was all the coffee and cake needed. I do understand tips "even out". The point is likely moot as I thought 1 entree was required to be ordered.
I agree with all this and also wanted to point out that at a regular restaurant there are “down” times where tables are empty anyway so having just dessert and drinks is no big deal, but Blue Bayou has no down time. It’s completely booked the entire day and any empty tables due to no-shows, etc., are given to walkups. Most people order full meals (and as previous posters mentioned you may be required to do that too). So it would be a kind gesture to tip extra to your sever who would typically be receiving a much higher tip from the table.

There were previous reports that this was not being allowed. You might want to be sure that someone who has been there recently and done this confirms it.
I don't see how this is possible? Do they require each person to order an entree? What if a starter is enough for someone? I have a trip in two weeks, I have a reservation where we are planning on just ordering dessert. Plan on tipping accordingly. Plus I added a celebration cake. Will report back on how it goes.

This doesn’t really apply to dessert only, but thought it might be worth sharing. We ate there last year and it was hot, so I just felt like having gumbo and a salad. Server was fine with that, but told me I could only have one hurricane because I needed to order an entree to be able to order another alcoholic beverage. I thought that was interesting and odd, but also makes sense as they probably don’t want to over serve.

This doesn’t really apply to dessert only, but thought it might be worth sharing. We ate there last year and it was hot, so I just felt like having gumbo and a salad. Server was fine with that, but told me I could only have one hurricane because I needed to order an entree to be able to order another alcoholic beverage. I thought that was interesting and odd, but also makes sense as they probably don’t want to over serve.

Interesting. I wonder if one could get a cocktail and a dessert? Does anyone have experience with that?

I have heard second hand that they won’t allow it. But I’ve not experienced it myself.

I feel like I saw a vlogger go solo and have a hurricane on a walk-up, but he didn't mention his meal. I'll have to go back and watch it again.

If its not stipulated in the booking conditions of Blue Bayou, you can order whatever you like

Coffee and cake is a $5 tip (only because its table service), over tipping is stupid and builds unfair expectations for the cast members in the future
Thank you! I thought I was going crazy. Tipping 100%+ because you gave Cast Members LESS to do sounds like crazy talk to me. American tipping culture is nuts.

I have heard second hand that they won’t allow it. But I’ve not experienced it myself.
I live in Boston and I worked at a hotel and where at one of our locations you had to order food to purchase alcohol. That is how the liquor license was issued. Of course, we have some really strange and antiquated liquor laws!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter