• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

BLUE BAYOU -- NO WAY THERE ARE ZERO RESERVATIONS AVAILABLE

Surprisingly, I had no problem getting a Blue Bayou reservation for my Nov 11-13 trip or my Dec 7-11 trip. It was harder for me to get Trader Sam's and I never did get one for Nov in spite of setting alerts. Didn't matter, though, as we ended up a party of 4 rather than 3 and we just ordered food from Tangaroa and sat near the outdoor bar. We all loved the outdoor area and enjoyed the Island musicians. I think the fact that it was Dapper Day (there were many, many groups of dressed up people) and a weekend made it a busy time, but we still managed!

Has anyone been able to get a reservation for January after the 8th? I wonder if it's still going to be under refurb and they just haven't managed to update the calendar for it.

I was up early this morning cooking, so I decided to see if Blue Bayou dropped at 6am out of curiosity. Nothing...and I went in right as it turned 6am. Something must be going on still.

My theory at this point is that DL has greatly reduced the tables held for reservation so more is available for same-day walkups. Reservations used to be much easier to come by.
that's good to know! I think if we don't succeed by the dates we are there I will try walk-up. I actually was there one time checking in (I actually had a reservation!) and saw some guy just walk up with his wife and asked if they had any tables and they told him yes! I was shocked and a little miffed that I thought I was so LUCKY to have secured a reservation months previously yet this guy just does it on the spot! 😂 Look at me and my elite self!

My theory at this point is that DL has greatly reduced the tables held for reservation so more is available for same-day walkups. Reservations used to be much easier to come by.
and I agree -- when I used to make reservations years ago (before COVID actually) there was never an issue getting a reservation. as soon as the window opened up I was always able to get them. I think they are definitely holding tables for walk ups. I guess it makes for better customer service (?)

Mousewatch is incredibly helpful in getting last minute reservations if you pay for their text alert feature. We were there this week and I successfully picked up reservations at Lamplight Lounge, Blue Bayou, and Oga’s at desirable times (noon for Lamplight and Blue Bayou, 7pm for Oga’s) for our party of 5. It’s worth paying for the service if you want to dine at those restaurants but don’t want to worry about constantly checking for reservations.

Actually, I've had very good luck with it because people cancel. You won't see much right away, but people tend to overbook reservations (for which I fault Disney since you don't know from one day to the next what you'll be able to grab). Once their 60-days-prior reservations are made for the time span of their stay, they can go back and decide which to keep and which to ditch. I have to admit to grabbing BB on my first day, not knowing whether or not I'll be able to get it on a preferred day.

Anyway, there will be many like me who have made more reservations than they want to keep and will cancel. Having the alert allows you a chance to grab one as soon as it's released back into the dining reservation pool. You do have to be ready to jump on it when you get the alert, but I've been successful the majority of the time. Of course, you may just decide it's not worth the bother.

The other possibility is to try for a walk-up reservation. Visit the booth at BB as soon as they open that day.
it's funny you say that about overbooking because I did the same thing last trip! I actually managed to get BB reservations in August as soon as the 60 days opened up and I booked for a consecutive two days just in case we changed our mind about a date and obviously I cancelled the one one we didn't use. I did that with Storytellers too.

....yet this guy just does it on the spot! 😂 Look at me and my elite self!
We paid for Genie+ yesterday, ended up only using it on One ride - and sixty feet down the Indy Ride row, they merged G+ and Standby - at first (okay for most of that wait) I was miffed, and then my Elite self was reminded by my Happy self, we were actually there for the Happy vibes not the Elite vibes ;) Disney actually pushes the Elite (FOMO) side for $$$ if we're not careful. I book dining, and a lot of extras - but a lot of my happiest memories at Disney have been "going with the flow" ...

Mousewatch is incredibly helpful in getting last minute reservations if you pay for their text alert feature. We were there this week and I successfully picked up reservations at Lamplight Lounge, Blue Bayou, and Oga’s at desirable times (noon for Lamplight and Blue Bayou, 7pm for Oga’s) for our party of 5. It’s worth paying for the service if you want to dine at those restaurants but don’t want to worry about constantly checking for reservations.
how much is it now? I know it's gone up.

Isn't another part of the issue being that people who stay on site get an additional 30 days and can reserve 90 days out?

Isn't another part of the issue being that people who stay on site get an additional 30 days and can reserve 90 days out?
Nope, urban legend. It’s 60 days on site or off. No 60 days plus 10 like WDW either. Everyone who stays on property wishes that they had a bit of an advantage and for the price of on site, are likely right to argue for it.

Do people tend to show up really early for Blue Bayou reservations or wait there and hope something comes up? We were there yesterday and checked in a few minutes after our reservation time and the waiting area was full of people. I figured that they were backed up and we had a long wait ahead of us, but instead we got called after just a couple minutes. They were announcing multiple times outside that they were only taking guests with reservations, no standby’s, so it made me wonder why there were so many people waiting.

I've noticed I am unable to book a party of 1 or 2 but there is always availability for a party of 3 or 4 with their updated system; not just for Blue Bayou.

Do people tend to show up really early for Blue Bayou reservations or wait there and hope something comes up? We were there yesterday and checked in a few minutes after our reservation time and the waiting area was full of people. I figured that they were backed up and we had a long wait ahead of us, but instead we got called after just a couple minutes. They were announcing multiple times outside that they were only taking guests with reservations, no standby’s, so it made me wonder why there were so many people waiting.
A lot of people will request a waterside table, and wait as long as it takes for one to come available.

A lot of people will request a waterside table, and wait as long as it takes for one to come available.
That is weird too because we got a waterside table without asking. I have been there two other times a while back but always sat about as far away from the water as possible before, even when we said we were there for our honeymoon. But this time it was waterside seats.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter