Booking rooms for 4 adults/2 couples

xjust_courtx

Earning My Ears
Hey there, I am literally brand new to the forums, and I'm just looking for a little advice. While I've planned some Disney trips before, they've only been for two people (me and my partner, and me and my sister). Planning for 4 adults probably shouldn't be as hard as I'm making it out to be, but one member of the other couple has never been to Disney! I'd love for the 4 of us to stay on property to make this first trip extra magical for him, and while i think we'd be fine in a single room w two queen beds, my partner thinks otherwise and wants to get two rooms. SO what are the best places to get adjoining rooms? Would it be cheaper to try and rent some DVC points and go that route? If so, where are the best places to rent DVC points? Should we just be really nice to my parents and see if we can use their timeshare instead? My partner is also in the military, so Shades of Green could be an option if it's not too over the top on the military elements. (He likes to get away from military stuff when he's not working.)

edit: Looking at 2022, so there's some time.

If this isn't the place for this post, apologies! Thanks in advance for the assist!

Last edited:
"Best places" is very subjective. Depends on what sort of accommodations you want - value, moderate, or deluxe. If you're looking for a less expensive stay, then cheapest on site would be 2 rooms at All Star Movies.

Just be aware that there's a difference between adjoining rooms and connecting rooms. Adjoining rooms would be next to each other, but no connecting door in between them. If you want the rooms to connect to each other, you'd need to request connecting rooms.

1 step up from ASMovies would be Pop Century. At both resorts, paying a little extra for a Preferred room means you're closer to the main transportation/front desk/food court building. Pop Century has the Skyliner, which is primary mode of transportation to HS and Epcot. ASMovies will be all bus transportation.

I'm trying to plan for a slightly more off time so that hopefully getting connecting rooms won't be a huge issue, though I'd like to get there during Flower and Garden bc I love F&G and my own partner hasn't been to that festival. We usually go for F&W. I would be a little sad if the rooms didn't connect, but it wouldn't ruin the trip.

The only hotels I've stayed at on property have been the Swan and Coronado Springs, both of which I really enjoyed.

In my honest opinion, now is not the time to take someone on their first trip to Disney. I have been there twice since the re-opening. The magic really isn't there. The rides are there. You can wave at characters as they float or drive by. But it really isn't the same. The smells and the music---the smiling faces. No fireworks, no shows, It just seems flat. Waiting in line to go into a shop. No wandering around eating a Mickey bar or a giant pretzel. No night time atmosphere. No street performers. It's okay for people that have been there but I think it would be a great big disappointment to someone that has listened to others rave about Disney. There really is nothing to rave about. It is just another amusement park. As far as resorts go, most of the moderate and value resorts would be a bit tight with 4 adults. The moderates do have 2 sinks. The values do not. Pop is really nice but they put 2 queen beds into a room that was designed for full size beds. It is very tight when both beds are open. And with everything closing early you will be spending more time at the resort so you might want to think about resort amenities. If staying value or Moderate I would go with 2 separate rooms. Deluxe depends on the resort. Some rooms are bigger than others. The Contemporary Garden Wing rooms are a very nice size.

In my honest opinion, now is not the time to take someone on their first trip to Disney. I have been there twice since the re-opening. The magic really isn't there. The rides are there. You can wave at characters as they float or drive by. But it really isn't the same. The smells and the music---the smiling faces. No fireworks, no shows, It just seems flat. Waiting in line to go into a shop. No wandering around eating a Mickey bar or a giant pretzel. No night time atmosphere. No street performers. It's okay for people that have been there but I think it would be a great big disappointment to someone that has listened to others rave about Disney. There really is nothing to rave about. It is just another amusement park. As far as resorts go, most of the moderate and value resorts would be a bit tight with 4 adults. The moderates do have 2 sinks. The values do not. Pop is really nice but they put 2 queen beds into a room that was designed for full size beds. It is very tight when both beds are open. And with everything closing early you will be spending more time at the resort so you might want to think about resort amenities. If staying value or Moderate I would go with 2 separate rooms. Deluxe depends on the resort. Some rooms are bigger than others. The Contemporary Garden Wing rooms are a very nice size.

That's good to know! I should have mentioned I was thinking about 2022 for this particular trip, so hopefully a lot of these things won't be an issue anymore.

That's good to know! I should have mentioned I was thinking about 2022 for this particular trip, so hopefully a lot of these things won't be an issue anymore.

I disagree with the previous poster. We just went 3 weeks ago and had a really fabulous time despite no fireworks, no nighttime shows, and wearing masks all day. But if you're thinking of 2022, then the odds are higher that more of the 'regular' stuff will be back by then.

:welcome: to the DIS!

I'd probably start out with your budget first, that will dictate resort decisions more than anything else.

Renting points is often among the cheaper options, but it is not without risks (mainly very inflexible cancellation policies) that are not good fits for some folks. There is a DVC Rent/Trade section of the board that is required reading if you start going down that path: https://www.disboards.com/forums/dvc-rent-trade.29/

I do agree two rooms is often the way to go with two couples. Sometimes a little separate space to decompress is a good thing for multi-group traveling parties, especially someone new to WDW.

You have a lot of time to plan and learn - the DIS is a great place to get started!

I'm trying to plan for a slightly more off time so that hopefully getting connecting rooms won't be a huge issue, though I'd like to get there during Flower and Garden bc I love F&G and my own partner hasn't been to that festival. We usually go for F&W. I would be a little sad if the rooms didn't connect, but it wouldn't ruin the trip.

The only hotels I've stayed at on property have been the Swan and Coronado Springs, both of which I really enjoyed.

If it's in your budget, you love F&G and really want connecting rooms, I highly recommend pricing out 2 bedroom villas at Beach Club Villas and Boardwalk Villas (we prefer BCV). You would get two bedrooms, two bathrooms, plus a living room with a full kitchen and washer/dryer. We stayed in a BCV, 2-bedroom when DS13 and I traveled with my BFF and her DS13 - it was PERFECT! Each family had our separate bedroom, but then we could socialize in the living room, out on the balcony, etc. It was incredibly comfortable and spacious. Both resorts are walkable to EP and DHS and also offer the Skyliner or boat to DHS as well, plus tons of restaurants and other amenities within walking distance. If BCV and BWV are out of your budget, I highly recommend calling the Swan/Dolphin directly and pricing out a 2-bedroom suite (let them know the bed configuration you would like. You can only book these suites over the phone). We stayed in a 2-bedroom at the Dolphin over spring break two years ago and it priced out around the price of a standard room at Poly. It came with 3 full bathrooms and a small fridge/microwave area. You get the location of BCV and BWV but at a lower price point. Personally, I like booking the DVC villas directly through Disney and not renting points. Point rentals come with very strict cancellation policies and I like to have some flexibility with our trips if need be.

First I'd agree with your partner.
2 couples should probably have 2 rooms so they have their own space especially for getting ready in the morning.
As for where to stay its really dependent on your budget and how much time you'll all be spending together at the resort.
Getting 2 rooms at a value resort is great if you're on a tighter budget and plan to spend most of your rime at the parks and then when at the resort spend time with your partner.
2 bedroom DVC would be great if you think you'll be spending a lot of time at the resort together because you have a living area and kitchen if you want to say make lunch and hang out but also have separate bedrooms and bathrooms.

Since nobody has said anything yet about Shades of Green, I’ll drop a couple of tidbits. We stayed there on our first trip, in 2007, split with the Poly for purely financial reasons. (Not to say I wouldn’t stay again, but our branch of the govt is no longer eligible.) At that time, it was in bad need of a refurb (sort of on par with some of the National park lodges—a touch of dorm feel) BUT IDK what has been done since. But the grounds were nice, and we enjoyed sitting on the balcony and watching the turkeys (and gators!) on the golf course. Sometimes we’d walk over to the Poly to catch the monorail (and the staff was nice enough to give us a ride on a golf cart when the gators were out LOL), but the SOG buses were plenty convenient—just depended on what we were doing. Having a little PX as a gift shop was nice too—great prices, of course. And other than a couple of pics in the lobby, there was no specific military theming at all, unless that’s changed. It was just a hotel. And I believe you can book two rooms at whatever rate you are eligible for, so you can get your friends the same price. It doesn’t have the Disney resort feel, but if the price drives your decision, I definitely think it’s worth a stay. I’d stay there again over a value—I stayed at ASMo with just my two teens and that was a one and done.

I agree with two rooms. Honestly it all depends on your budget and what parks you all want to be closest to. Epcot resort area would be great for an adults trip. Renting DVC points is a great ways to save money but there is risk. You don’t want to be stuck with a reservation you can’t change or alter dates on if the other couple need to adjust their plans.

I don't know the status of connecting rooms at Shades of Green but it's a great choice budget-wise and we really liked it. There is a thread on the Resort board dedicated just to it that you might want to check out.

I personally don't find it too military. (We are not military) I will say that I appreciate how polite the guests are with lots of "yes ma'ams" and door holding. Hopefully that's not to military for your partner. 🙂

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter