Boorish behavior

Non-DCL, but at a convention I arrived early and grabbed a second-row seat to see a very famous keynote speaker. A lady then showed up *after* me and told me I needed to move because she was reserving the first 10 seats in the row for her colleagues (who didn't even show up until after the speech started).

So yeah... retroactive seat saving apparently is even a thing to some people. Let's hope nobody tries to pull that one a DCL cruise. Hopefully I'm not giving anyone any ideas.

And for the record, I moved over one seat as a courtesy, which was the only other free seat left in the row besides the other ones she was trying to save.

We were on the Wonder in November. For the Frozen show, a CM was coming through talking to people who were saving seats saying he'd give them a few more minutes for the people to arrive but when he came back around, they'd have to give them up. Guess who never seemed to come back around?

They may have fixed it by December becuase not only were the enforcing the seats, they regularly made people put up their phones and cameras in the perfomances. I was shocked!!

We were on the Fantasy last week. We've never had a problem with this before, but on this cruise people were really bad about saving large amounts of seats in the theater. For the Aladdin show, we arrived shortly after 8:00, just after the doors were opened. We wanted to get seats towards the bottom center. We proceeded to make our way to some rows only to discover that people were saving entire rows! Like 8, 9, 10+ seats. We kept trying several rows, only to be told that all the seats were saved. By the time we tried several rows, the entire front center was filled and we could barely find a seat even in the lower section on the far side. We saw a lot of other entire row savings for other shows, but Aladdin seemed to be the most crowded/popular show. Of course we could have made a fuss and just sat down, but then we would have to sit next to someone we just pissed off, so that would be awkward. We just wanted to enjoy the show. I wish cast members would help out.
I was on that cruise and noticed this was the most popular of the shows. We were sitting in the balcony looking down, but saw a lot of CM saying people couldn't save seats and forced people to move over to create space. Was the first time I saw them do that, but it was really packed and many people couldn't find seats. Were you at the first or second show?

I was on that cruise and noticed this was the most popular of the shows. We were sitting in the balcony looking down, but saw a lot of CM saying people couldn't save seats and forced people to move over to create space. Was the first time I saw them do that, but it was really packed and many people couldn't find seats. Were you at the first or second show?

We were at the second show. I'm glad you saw a CM helping!

We were on the Fantasy last week. We've never had a problem with this before, but on this cruise people were really bad about saving large amounts of seats in the theater. For the Aladdin show, we arrived shortly after 8:00, just after the doors were opened. We wanted to get seats towards the bottom center. We proceeded to make our way to some rows only to discover that people were saving entire rows! Like 8, 9, 10+ seats. We kept trying several rows, only to be told that all the seats were saved. By the time we tried several rows, the entire front center was filled and we could barely find a seat even in the lower section on the far side. We saw a lot of other entire row savings for other shows, but Aladdin seemed to be the most crowded/popular show. Of course we could have made a fuss and just sat down, but then we would have to sit next to someone we just pissed off, so that would be awkward. We just wanted to enjoy the show. I wish cast members would help out.

I’ve always thought there should be a universal 50% rule. A person/group should ideally only be allowed to save up to as many seats as people who are there already. (3 folks can hold 2, for example).

Last edited:
This boor didn't really affect me in any way, shape, or form, he was just a Super Grouch who clearly was NOT thrilled to be at Disney:
A friend and I decided to do the Halloween cruise a couple years ago for our birthdays (mine is September, hers is early October). We live in Florida, but in different parts of the state, and we decided why not meet and stay the night at a Disney resort the night before, and then take the DCL bus to Port Canaveral. That morning, we woke up to go to the food court for breakfast, and opted to just grab it and take it back to the room to watch Disney Cartoons and relax before the bus picked us up. Breakfast in hand (like, plates of food, drinks, etc. - not exactly easy to carry, our hands were FULL), we walked to the elevator. A pinched-face, hurried little man was fairly close behind, and seemed extremely perturbed that he had to share an elevator with us. Rolled his eyes when he walked up to stand and wait near us, sighed loudly when we all entered and asked him please to hit the button for our floor, rolled his eyes at us again... we just sort of looked at each other like "Seriously..?" and let it go. He shot off the elevator at his floor and we BUSTED out laughing when the doors closed. What a freaking grouch, right? So sorry we inconvenienced you by sharing your elevator. :rolleyes2 Later that morning, we entered the lobby to line up for the bus. Not too far behind, here comes Super Grouch with a woman... and they. are. arguing! Like, under their breath, but you can tell they were both furious and they wouldn't look at each other, just kept mumbling at each other the whole time. Of course, we're really trying to stifle our laughter, but it's hard. Especially when we see their big giant "JUST MARRIED!" buttons they're wearing. :rotfl:
Everyone boarded the bus, all is fine, we still catch glimpses of Mr. and Mrs. Super Grouch occasionally throughout the boarding process, but obviously, once we're on the ship we lose 'em. Hit up the adult pool, had a few pool drinks, horn blew for the safety drill. We make our way to the theater, and who should be walking down the aisle, STILL fussing at each other? The happy couple, Mr. and Mrs. Super Grouch! We started giggling, and in trying to be quiet, I snorted. Mr. Super Grouch whips around, makes eye contact with us, and rolls his eyes like "Oh, GREAT, these two morons."
We lost it. I mean, LOST IT. :rotfl2: I'm talking the "I can't breathe, my face hurts, stop laughing people are looking" heehaws. Never saw him again the whole cruise. I can only assume he either hurled his grumpy self overboard and he was such a pill, no one missed him... or the Disney magic completely destroyed him.

It always makes me laugh to see miserable people on vacation. If you're not happy here, just go home and sit in a dark hole and be miserable by yourself. The rest of us are here to enjoy ourselves.

Just got off the Dream last week. My two gems I witnessed personally:

1) My 6 yr old and I were the last ones in line for the cutoff to see Captain Mickey at the atrium on Night 1. The time he’s available to meet is clearly posted on the Navigator. The pleasant cast member came to stand behind us in line, converse with us with general chit-chat (“where are you from? “What did you do today?”, etc) When people attempted to join the line after the cut off, she’d simply explain in her perky cast member voice that the “line to see Mickey is complete, because he has to return to steering the ship” with an additional spiel to mention he’d be out for pictures the following day. Everyone pretty much understood and walked away except one jerk of a dad who dragged his young son (who looked to be 3 or 4 yrs old) with him in line about 10 minutes AFTER the posted end time. When the cast member told him the line was complete, he became belligerent and didn’t leave and told her to explain that to his son. When she knelt down and explained to the son, the man got angry and told the cast member, “well he didn’t understand that, and we paid a lot of money for this cruise and I’m sick of us not being able to get a turn to see Mickey, so I’m staying in this line”. At this point, he’s using very choice language, so I turned around and told him if he could please watch his language since there were some of us with young kids in line in front of him. He backed down a little, but then continued to verbally attack the cast member, who stepped away to make a phone call (presumably to security). The dad would not accept no for an answer, even when she tried to reason that his son could give a high five and walk back with Mickey as he was leaving. The cast member walked up to the photographer and the CM who was assisting him to point out that my daughter and I were the cutoff. It was awful waiting those last 5 minutes in line because the jerk dad would not shut up. I rushed my daughter to get her chance to get her autograph and take her photo with Mickey, and after she was done hugging him, Mickey hightailed it out of there. The jerk dad was pissed, but I’m glad the cast member did not back down or accommodate him since he was such an @ss. I did give the cast member a hug and told her I felt badly for her. You could never pay me enough to have the job they do to put up with entitled people like that jerk.

2) I had to walk my 11 yr old daughter to guest services to replace her key card which she lost. A couple from India was with their toddler daughter trying to request that Guest Services relax the age limitation rule for Bibbidi Boppity Bootique because she’s under 3 and can’t get a makeover. I should also mention the daughter is crawling all over the counter in the meantime. The dad is complaining loudly that their older son can get a pirate makeover, but “it’s not fair
that [our] daughter can’t get a makeover because she’s not old enough”, and that she “sees her brother getting something special and she’s upset because she can’t have a special experience” The wife proceeds to throw a tirade that “for the price we paid, we expect a certain level of service from Disney” and that the DCL was “ruining” their trip. She was full on yelling at that point and everyone within a 15 foot radius could hear her. I get that she’s upset, but as a mom of kids, I’ve always accepted that the age limitions for BBB has always been 3-12...IMHO any kid under 3 isn’t old enough to really understand what’s going on, or have the patience to sit still enough to really enjoy the experience.

I’m more annoyed that my two kids had to witness these grown adults acting like over entitled @ssholes in the general public. I get being upset, but it boggles my mind that adults who throw a temper tantrum think that helps rectify their situation. That’s *lovely parenting* right there when they have no qualms to pitch a fit or curse in front of their kids.

I don't get them being upset, the rules and parameters are set up for a reason, so if the castmembers were to just ignore them it would have ramifications that would degrade the product. Based on the descriptions of the incidents, the guests' tirades were totally out of line, and not at all understandable.

So how did that work having people move down to create space? My wife and I always sit in aisle seats, would they have forced us to move down? I would politely decline that option because we always get there early to get a seat on the aisle in case we ant to bail on the act or show. We have no problem standing to let people move into an inner seat.

So how did that work having people move down to create space? My wife and I always sit in aisle seats, would they have forced us to move down? I would politely decline that option because we always get there early to get a seat on the aisle in case we ant to bail on the act or show. We have no problem standing to let people move into an inner seat.
I’m not sure how it went since we were watching from the second floor. I’m assuming they would have asked you to move in, but you could probably say you want to be on the end and let the people into the seats opening up next to you.

I'm with you on this one. I like to sit on the aisle, and I'm not going to get to a show early and find my seat and then move in to accommodate people who have come later. I will stand and let you move by me, but I'm not going to give it my aisle seat.

We were on the Magic a few weeks ago eating at Cabanas. Some woman asked my girls, 10 and 16, if they had washed their hands? They said yes, because of course they did. They said she was really snooty about it. I also noticed alot of people don't even smile back at you. Oh well, I'm still smiling

What they are typically asking is for parties to "fill in all available seats". Don't leave 1 or 2 seats between you and the next group. So that all those single seats together can seat other parties as a group. If you're seated on the aisle, you won't be asked to move more toward center.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter