Boulder Ridge Refurb Has Begun!

I guess I just don’t see “Courtyard by Marriott” in these photos:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/wow-here-now-brv-refurbed-room.3903740/

View attachment 724676

"It looks just like a Marriott" is the go-to complaint for every new resort or refurb. Predictable as a sunrise. Colors and fabrics can be debated endlessly, but if someone thinks that looks like a Marriott or doesn't see the Wilderness-y vibe, I don't know that to say.

And "It looks like a wedding cake barfed on the walls" almost made me spit my coffee 🤣 GF has never really been my vibe but i could never really put my finger on why. That perfectly articulates it lol

"It looks just like a Marriott" is the go-to complaint for every new resort or refurb. Predictable as a sunrise. Colors and fabrics can be debated endlessly, but if someone thinks that looks like a Marriott or doesn't see the Wilderness-y vibe, I don't know that to say.

And "It looks like a wedding cake barfed on the walls" almost made me spit my coffee 🤣 GF has never really been my vibe but i could never really put my finger on why. That perfectly articulates it lol
I am happy they at least put in Murphy beds in BR, our newly acquired "second" home ( though it is a shame they couldn't manage them in all the rooms due to the make-up of the building.) It DOES looks a LOT more "themed" than our other(and first/main DVC) home- BCV!

As an aside, here are the lobby and Crown Room from the authentic, Victorian Era grand beach resort that Grand Floridian is an almost exact clone of:

35FF44C3-F324-48D1-A8D6-7B4FD4496A2D.jpeg

20168314-F70C-437E-99EC-5051FF736691.jpeg
I mean, if we’re going to argue for accuracy to the source material…

I am happy they at least put in Murphy beds in BR, our newly acquired "second" home ( though it is a shame they couldn't manage them in all the rooms due to the make-up of the building.) It DOES looks a LOT more "themed" than our other(and first/main DVC) home- BCV!
The murphy beds are a complete game changer, so glad DVC is going that route. They may be the one thing I've seen this board in almost unanimous agreement over. I say "almost" because I'm sure there is at least one masochist that prefers the pull outs

The murphy beds are a complete game changer, so glad DVC is going that route. They may be the one thing I've seen this board in almost unanimous agreement over. I say "almost" because I'm sure there is at least one masochist that prefers the pull outs
Oh there have been complaints that the sofa isn't as comfortable as the old ones. Never fear when DVC bellyaching is concerned.

I guess I just don’t see “Courtyard by Marriott” in these photos:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/wow-here-now-brv-refurbed-room.3903740/

View attachment 724676
As someone who stayed in a lock off 2 bedroom in the studio side at the end of October, this is a huge improvement. So bright and still definetly themed. I am confused by the head board...it isn't horrible, but you'd think they'd use the colors in the curtain and rug. Because those look good together and make the red couch work, especially with the painting over the couch.

As someone who stayed in a lock off 2 bedroom in the studio side at the end of October, this is a huge improvement. So bright and still definetly themed. I am confused by the head board...it isn't horrible, but you'd think they'd use the colors in the curtain and rug. Because those look good together and make the red couch work, especially with the painting over the couch.
The headboard is supposed to be representative of folded Pendleton blankets, I think. Just to add some primary colors to the earth tones.

As an aside, here are the lobby and Crown Room from the authentic, Victorian Era grand beach resort that Grand Floridian is an almost exact clone of:

View attachment 724687

View attachment 724688
I mean, if we’re going to argue for accuracy to the source material…
Wow! The GF has never been a favorite of mine. I liked the wedding cake reference! I also think the GF looks like an upscale assisted living facility. The new DVC rooms there are much better! After seeing more pictures, I do like the BRV renovations.

The headboard is supposed to be representative of folded Pendleton blankets, I think. Just to add some primary colors to the earth tones.
In the 1Br-the headboard is a nice warm chestnut brown with darker brown ‘straps’…kind of gives me the vibes of a old traveling or blanket storage trunk. The Pendleton blanket vibe comes from the chair.

Wow! The GF has never been a favorite of mine. I liked the wedding cake reference! I also think the GF looks like an upscale assisted living facility. The new DVC rooms there are much better! After seeing more pictures, I do like the BRV renovations.
To be clear, I was being a bit extreme for effect. I don't have anything against the Grand Floridan lobby. It's light, airy and refreshing. My point simply is that folks are happy to hold BRV to some perceived "authenticity" to the original Yellowstone Inn (even though some of their rooms are rather modern and light in color), down to the shade and tone of the colors used (because it really isn't a sea of beige), while at the same time the Grand Floridian bears absolutely nothing in common with the hotel it clones, or the decor of the time period it architecturally represents (late Victorian), which would be absolutely awash in scarlets, purples, burgundies, teals, heavy blues, gold filigree, and very dark and ornately carved woods.

Last edited:
We were in 4550 2weeks ago and nothing was done in our long hallway.

It is so exciting and I love it all and cannot wait to stay in April.

It never looked trapped in 1995. I’m really hating all this “make everything white and light” that’s not the theme of Wilderness Lodge. I like the dark colors that it originally had. Now it just looks like a Courtyard by Marriott.
I guess I need to start staying at Courtyard when I am traveling because I don’t remember them being quite this nice. Or wilderness like. 🙂. (Sorry @jlovesee - I am just giving you a hard time.).

During the condo meeting last week, a member stood up and complained about the decor changes made during the 2016 BoardWalk renovation. Below are photos from 2014, which the commenter referred to as "charming."

At that moment, I realized that there will never be universal agreement about the quality of any updates.

View attachment 724602

Today I learned "Nana's apartment" was once a hotel theme! :duck:

1 bedroom 2nd floor.

Pros: Beautiful room. Love the updated colors. LOVE the murphy bed. Nice having a double coffee pot. Wish I knew as I could have brought cups from home to use.
Like having a full wall between the master bed and tub

Middle if the line: old dishwasher stands out, dislike the shower configuration still, room missing laundry basket - I actually use it during our stays 🙃

Current cons: Construction all day from 9-5 officially, but they were still working and knocked on our door at 7pm last night to check the router. Took a video of the sounds but can't upload it. Sounds like someone is getting the longest root canal ever.

We love BR and have owned here since 2004 and look forward to more trips.

Attachments

• 4993460C-695A-4EF7-9A04-B01CA28A8D2D.jpeg
    4993460C-695A-4EF7-9A04-B01CA28A8D2D.jpeg
    36.4 KB · Views: 189
  • 4DCA5E6C-C2DD-4A25-8B33-9A7F3BB0DD70.jpeg
    4DCA5E6C-C2DD-4A25-8B33-9A7F3BB0DD70.jpeg
    59.4 KB · Views: 191
  • 72906E02-98E2-4DB9-B5BD-B3AD4A29FD3B.jpeg
    72906E02-98E2-4DB9-B5BD-B3AD4A29FD3B.jpeg
    64.2 KB · Views: 196
  • B90BEDE4-F804-47B6-82F2-7E94B881F309.jpeg
    B90BEDE4-F804-47B6-82F2-7E94B881F309.jpeg
    68.8 KB · Views: 201
I'm not sure what you mean. The claim is that the new BRV rooms don't look "authentic" to the source material (the Yellowstone Inn), and I pointed out that even the Yellowstone Inn has "contemporary" furnishings in some of their rooms as well. The response to that was that Yellowstone Inn does, in fact, have rooms that are quite rustic and "lodgy". I never said they didn't. I was simply pointing out that Disney is no more guilty of wandering from original designs than the owners/operators of the resorts Disney is replicating. Disney modernizing rooms isn't a high crime and misdemeanor. We're not talking about installing an acoustic drop ceiling in the Cistine Chapel.

As to the Hotel Del, I simply pointed out that there is absolutely nothing in the Grand Floridian that even remotely resembles even one iota of the original Hotel Del Coronado interior design. Nothing. The entire lobby space bears no resemblance. Yes, the Hotel Del has modern guest rooms (and they are absolutely awful, by the way), but the common areas are all original. I am simply amused by the fact that so many are offended by what they feel is a deal-breaking departure from the source when it comes to BRV, when there's absolutely nothing true to the source at VGF, and no one cares one bit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter