Breastfeeding in MK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hippychickali

DIS Veteran
I was reading the Unofficial Guide and I came across the Hall of Presidents. One reader had commented that her family liked this attraction because it gave her grandfather a chance to take a nap. That was funny. But another odd comment followed.

"A young mother in Marion, Ohio, adds: 'The Hall of Presidents is a great place to breast-feed."

What do you all think of this?

Ali

Why not?

It's indoors out of the hot sun, it has comfortable seating, it's darkened a bit for privacy and everyone's attention is on the show.

I don't understand your question. If I were breast-feeding at Disney, I would pick the HOP, an indoor show, a park bench under a tree.....or the childcare center if it was nearby to me. I don't see the problem. We have many restaurants to choose from--infants need to eat as well.

Del

Sure, why not.

DW breastfed DD in Mickey's Philharmagic-discreetly, of course.
Our older DS's are used to seeing mommy feed Samantha, so it is no big deal to them. I know some people are uncomfortable with this, but, if done discreetly (as opposed to 2 bare breasts just hanging around) I think it is a wonderful thing.

Granted, the baby place near Crystal Palace is the preferred place, but I say, go ahead and feed!

I personally have no problem with public breastfeeding if it is done discreetly. I just thought that the comment was odd. The reader's favourite thing about the attraction was that she could breastfeed there. I guess it's just me. Thought it might strike others as odd too.

Ali

As a mom of 2 who has logged in almost 3 years of breastfeeding, I don't find it odd at all. I could give you a whole list of WDW attractions I enjoy for the convenience of discreet nursing. In fact, there was a popular thread on this topic recently on the Disney for Families board. The baby care centers are nice, but not convenient if you're in another part of the park.

So nobody thinks that it's odd that someone would actually write in to say that there favourite thing about an attraction is that they can take a nap there either? I mean, I understand the importance of breastfeeding. It's sorta crucial. At the same time, I'm just not sure if I would say the best thing I liked about a ride was that it was a good breastfeeding atmosphere. I didn't mean to offend but if that's your favourite thing about a ride aren't you missing the point of Disney.

Ali

I agree with the Ohio mother.

Other good places to breastfeed are: Carousel of Progress, Spaceship Earth, Ellen's Energy Adventure, American Adventure, Great Movie Ride, Pirates of Caribbean, Haunted Mansion.

Actually, it's much easier to discreetly breastfeed in an attraction versus on a bench or in a restaurant. In an attraction, everyone's attention is focused on the attraction, so I don't have to be concerned about people focusing on me.

Nursing in an attraction is also nice because it means that my older kids don't have to sit around and wait for their baby sister to get done eating.

Disney Magic is different things to different people....to us, it's being together as a family in a place we all enjoy...whether we're age 2 or 42. And for some families like us, being able to find a place where we can meet the needs of our infants while at the same time delighting our older children, is a really magical thing!

Sharon

Originally posted by Hippychickali
So nobody thinks that it's odd that someone would actually write in to say that there favourite thing about an attraction is that they can take a nap there either? I mean, I understand the importance of breastfeeding. It's sorta crucial. At the same time, I'm just not sure if I would say the best thing I liked about a ride was that it was a good breastfeeding atmosphere. I didn't mean to offend but if that's your favourite thing about a ride aren't you missing the point of Disney.
Just because you like to nap in one particular attraction doesn't mean you're "missing the point of Disney." Someone asked them about one particular attraction, and that was their answer. Obviously, the breastfeeding mom isn't a big fan of the HOP show, but she loves the venue. Nothing wrong with that. I'm sure there are lots of other places at WDW that she likes for the "right" reasons ...

There are a lot of people who like attractions for odd reasons. My nephew used to like "It's Tough to Be A Bug" because he could take his shoes off there and stretch his feet. He figured that no one would be able to criticize his stinky shoes because he could blame it on the "stink bug" effect. That was literally his favorite part of the attraction -- that he could take off his smelly sneakers for a few minutes without getting dirty looks. :p

:earsboy:

Sure....people like different rides for different reasons. That's not to say that liking a ride because you can take a nap, breastfeed, or take off your shoes aren't odd reasons because they are. (Odd means unique after all.) I'm not criticizing; I'm just saying that these are reasons that you don't always think of or expect to hear about Disney attractions. Why is everyone so sensitive about this topic?

Ali

At first I thought it odd as it could have stated, the infants favorite place was the HOP.

But then I realized it's in the mom's best interest too. Recently a neighbor got stopped for speeding. Her excuse to the officer...."My ****s are about to explode."

She got out of the ticket and was allowed to proceed home.:D

OK, I'll bite -

There are ladies rooms every 30 feet in MK. Why not just feed there?

If I had an infant, I personally would NEVER feed in public. I just would not feel comfortable about it, nor would I want to make anyone else feel uncomfortable. Yes it is natural, but so is going to the bathroom, sex, and a lot of other human needs that we don't do in public.

Just my 2 cents.

Why is everyone so sensitive about this topic?

Because nursing mothers routinely receive criticism and dirty looks for breastfeeding in public. Many woman are told that it is "disgusting," and that they should go do "that" in a bathroom stall. There have been posts on this very board criticising public breastfeeding in WDW.

Sure--Why don't we all grab a burger and fries and go eat in a place where people go to the bathroom. Sounds like fun!!!!:rolleyes:

Hentob

Thank you for giving a different opinion. I'm kind of torn on the whole breast feeding in public discussion. I was bottle feed and plan to do the same for my children. If it is done discreetly in public then I don't have too much of a problem because I probably won't even notice. But at the same time, I can't really understand why someone would want to take out their breast no matter how natural it is. I have the same problem with people who think it's ok to change babies on public benches or let little ones run around without clothing at beaches. So I don't really know where I stand. Regardless, I think it is odd to choose your favourite ride based on where you can breastfeed.

Ali

You illustrated my point before I even had the chance to make it.

Originally posted by EsmeraldaX
OK, I'll bite -

Question..... (not trying to be sarcastic) but would you eat in a bathroom???? :eek:

Originally posted by moinab
Because nursing mothers routinely receive criticism and dirty looks for breastfeeding in public. Many woman are told that it is "disgusting," and that they should go do "that" in a bathroom stall. There have been posts on this very board criticising public breastfeeding in WDW.

Well I also have a problem with people who choose to bring food into rides. It's not that I think that people eating are disgusting but I just don't think that the Hall of Presidents, for example, is an appropriate place to have lunch.

Ali

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter