Breastfeeding in MK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Hippychickali
No but I wouldn't eat in the Hall of Presidents either. :D

Ali

But don't you think one would be better than the other where germs are concerned with an infant?

I said nothing about nursing in a bathroom. I think that is gross. People eat in restaurants. Nursing babies are people. Furthermore, nursing babies have the added bonus of nurseries. So, it seems logical to me to find a nursery or a restaurant and not a bathroom or an attraction. I didn't think that was such a different thought pattern to follow.

Ali

I am sorry you are uncomfortable with public breastfeeding, but since Disney does not prohibit it, I am going to continue to do so. I have never exposed myself and am always discreet. I really do try to be respectful of others, but if you have a problem with that, so be it.

There are ladies rooms every 30 feet in MK. Why not just feed there?
Nobody mentioned the logistics of this either. How are you supposed to recline a baby in a bathroom? Babies get heavy. Very few bathrooms in Disney have a place to sit. My final comment - if you don't like it, don't look. Every single mother I know who breastfed, covered the baby up with a blanket or cloth diaper. Unless you look closely and deliberately try to see what's going on under the blanket, you could never tell what the baby was doing. I don't think most mothers breastfeed with their whole breast exposed for all the public to see.

But I don't have a problem with it! I thought that I made that abundantly clear. My original post had nothing to do with my opinion on breastfeeding. Breastfeed away! (I feel like I'm talking to a brick wall here.) Someone who was pro-breastfeeding turned it into a grudge match between breastfeeders and nonbreastfeeders. The point of my post was to point out an odd reason for choosing a favourite ride. And I still think that it's odd....not that there's anything wrong with that.

Ali

The point of my post was to point out an odd reason for choosing a favourite ride. And I still think that it's odd....not that there's anything wrong with that.

I agree with your original post. It is an odd reason to choose a favorite attraction. I'm not a big fan of HOP so I guess it's as good a reason as any!

Thank you Kim. I was beginning to think that I was insane. (which I very well could be but I digress...) I would never choose HOP as my favourite ride no matter what the perks of it may be.

Ali

The point of my post was to point out an odd reason for choosing a favourite ride.
But the woman didn't say it was her favorite ride... She simply commented that HOP was a great place to breast feed a baby. Sorry, but when you've got a little one, you take note of such oppertune places. HOP, AA, and the film theater in France are all cool, dark places with sets with armrests and are great places to "top off" Jr. And quite frankly, HOP doesn't hold a lot of appeal for your average infant.

I don't have any kids but I always thought TTA (or, as it should be called, the Peoplemover) would be a good place for a nursing mom as it seems kinda private. You can't see what anyone else is doing really, so they can't see you. And who is going to be looking at you, when they can see the parks? :wave2:

The point of my post was to point out an odd reason for choosing a favourite ride.
Ok, I just reread through this entire thread to see where I had misunderstood the OP. I agree that it's a very odd reason on which to base your favorite attraction, but the original post suggested only that it was an odd reason to like an attraction. Favorite=odd. Like=not so odd. JMO.
If it is done discreetly in public then I don't have too much of a problem because I probably won't even notice. But at the same time, I can't really understand why someone would want to take out their breast no matter how natural it is.
Well I also have a problem with people who choose to bring food into rides. It's not that I think that people eating are disgusting but I just don't think that the Hall of Presidents, for example, is an appropriate place to have lunch.
So, it seems logical to me to find a nursery or a restaurant and not a bathroom or an attraction.
I'm not sure if you were referring to me as the one who tried to turn this into a grudge match, but originally, I was just trying to answer your question as to why this is a sensitive topic. Then you stated that you were unsure of your position, and the above quotes lead me to believe that you did, indeed have a problem with it. I'm sorry if I misunderstood.

Originally posted by Billmel
Question..... (not trying to be sarcastic) but would you eat in a bathroom???? :eek:

Um, it's not quite the same , a baby breastfeeding directly from their mothers breast, and a person eating food off of a plate.

I would NEVER breastfeed my child in public.

And many restrooms have areas for nursing anyway.

Moinab,

No...I have no idea who turned it into a grudge match and I honestly don't care. I can see you put a lot of work into posting on this thread and it means a lot to you to but honestly it doesn't mean that much to me and I really have nothing else to say.

Ali

Why do people with different opinions have to always call things grudge matches. I don't agree with public nursing, that is never going to change. Some people do agree with it and that is never going to change. People can state their opinions without turning things into an all out brawl.

And I'm leaving this thread before this turns into one.

Esmeralda,

I called it a grudge match because it has turned into a brawl. People can have differing opinions on breastfeeding and can state them but that really wasn't what I was looking for when I posted this thread because there are lots of other threads about that. I guess I was either naive or unclear in my original post but I thought that I did a pretty good job of restating what the point of the thread was about. I have no idea why people find this topic to be such a sensitive one. (I know why the topic of public breastfeeding is but mine was one about why we like the rides that we do.)

Ali

one thing that some of you might find convenient. My wife found a device called a "breast pump." She can use it to pump milk from her breast, and then it is collected in a bottle. You can feed the baby from the bottle later. A real bonus is that I, as the father, can feed the baby as well, since it is in a bottle - that is a nice for me, and plus it can give my wife a break, too. It seems to work very well so far. Very convenient. You can keep the bottles with the pumped milk in the refrigerator or even in an ice pack for use later. We will be going to wdw next week and we plan on using this method there. You can find these breast pumps at a lot of stores like babys-r-us, and you can even rent them from health care places.

The other thing is, our baby only eats every four hours or so, anyway, so I don't think there will be that many "meals" in a theme park because he is still a baby so we won't be staying much longer than 4 hours at a time anyway, so I don't think it will be a big issue for us really. I know sometimes babies eat more frequently. Babies got to eat.

DR

Pumps are great for when the mother is separated from baby. Personally, though, if I am with the baby, I think there is no reason for the baby not to drink the freshest milk possible-- and I don't have to walk around with full ****s (sorry if it is TMI, but people seem curious.)

A few public bathrooms have nursing lounges-- most don't and none in the parks do. Anyway, if you wonder why this is a hot topic it is because it has been one before in many Disney discussions. Apparently there are a lot of people who just don't believe women should feed their babies in public and I've run into a lot of them on Disney groups. I feel differently, and I feed my baby discreetly.

hippychickali, this is not a brawl. I have seen and been in some "nursing at Disney" brawls and this is tame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter