Bringing your own stroller

skoocher

MouseFamily
I have heard pro's and con's to bringing our stroller to the park (as opposed to renting from Disney). Anyone have any ideas on that? Any news of stroller theft. I would imagine that it is rare, but we have a fairly expensive stroller.

We have brought our own stroller twice and never had a problem. Although I do remember someone here reporting their expensive stroller being stolen.

How old are your kids? One of the nicer things about bringing your own is that you can have a stroller that reclines. the ones you rent at DL don't. The other really nice thing is you can push your own stroller all the way back to your room. If you rent from DL, you have to leave it at the gate. As someone who carried my dd, then 4.5 years old, all the way back to the room at 11:30 PM on our 5th day at the parks, let me tell you....having that stroller from the parks to the room is very, very nice!

I always bring our own stroller. Altough we are about to stop using it altogether. We have APs and often go for just the day and a few overnights. We have never had a problem with theft of the stroller or of our stuff on the stoller. I find it much easier to identify than the DL ones.

I would think to bring your own if you can, it would definately save you on money each day.

I have read occasional reports of a stroller being stolen, though the price of the stroller doesn't seem to be a factor. But more often you read about stroller contents being stolen, including jackets, souvenirs, and autograph books.

We brought our MacLaren, and never had any trouble with it, though it was moved by CMs a few times. (That is to be expected, they rearrange them sometimes to save the walkway space.) But I made sure we never left anything in the stroller that we were afraid to lose, even if it had no monetary value, like the autographs.

We have 3 strollers (a high priced one (Peg Perego), a medium priced one (Graco) that came with our travel system and a cheap umbrella one (Jeep)).

We bring the medium priced one (Graco) to all of the parks we visit (DL, LegoLand, Sea World, Zoo, etc) since the umbrella stroller is too small (and I don't want to carry the backpack or diaper bag the whole time since it doesn't have a basket) and has a crappy sun shade.

The medium one reclines, has a great sunshade, cup holders, etc and a HUGE basket.

I've heard of expensive strollers getting stolen, so yeah, I wouldn't bring anything you would freak out about if it was stolen. I don't think it happens much, but better to be safe than sorry.

I'm a big germaphobe (LOL), so renting one just kinda grosses me out. Never know who might have taken a poop and didn't wash their hands good and then pushed the stroller....and then you push it, eat cotton candy and lick your fingers afterwards (ewwwww) LOL ;) Yeah, you get the point.

Several years ago, we opted to rent vs. bring our own. What a mistake. Unlike WDW, DL (things might have changed by now) only rented single strollers so we needed to rent 2 strollers. Not the biggest deal except that it took 2 people to push. Plus, it was a pretty long walk to the park entrance from the DL Hotel. One late night, we had to carry our pretty heavy/half asleep children back to the hotel.

If you need to, buy a cheap stroller, but definitely take your own.

We have been twice and brought our own stroller both times and has never been messed with but we also bring an inexpensive colorful combonation bike lock and lock the stroller up when we leave it also helps indentify our stroller because there are usually lots of the same type and color I would recomend bringing your own and locking it up if you are worried

well, there are pros and con in bring your own stroller, one very good reason is if you live offsite and its on harbor, you can push your stroller back to your hotel...

Albort said:
well, there are pros and con in bring your own stroller, one very good reason is if you live offsite and its on harbor, you can push your stroller back to your hotel...

I agree and ifyou have a unbrella stroller then you can fold it up on the train.

We love the Disney strollers as they are so easy to push.

However, last December, those late night walks carrying a child was no fun.

Our last trip, we brought a cheap umbrella stroller each day. However, once at the parks, we used our Disney Visa to get our free rentals and parked the cheap stroller in the park. It was where we left it each night for the ride back to the hotel.

We plan on the same approach for our May trip.

I recommend taking your own stroller. We didn't one year and we were truly sorry we didn't have a stroller when we were not at disney. You get tired of holding the little one by the end of the day.

Also my kids usually took naps and the strollers at disney don't recline.
Jen

I've NEVER had a stroller stolen or heard IRL of one being taken. I see ALL SORTS of crazy expensive strollers there. Recently it seems all the hip urban mommas have the double decker Phil and Ted. That bad boy is $400-$500 I think! So, even though to me, my $200 is crazy expensive, I know that stroller theives have MUCH better options out there LOL.

For what you spend renting (if they aren't free to you) you can use to buy an inexpensive one. I agree hauling a very tired back to the hotel each night is a problem. I also, however, would not want to be worried about whether my expensive stroller will be there when I got back.

Also, they will not let you lock up your stroller.

You can lock your own stroller wheels together, but it is against the fire code to lock your stroller to anything other than itself. The CM need to be able to move the strollers around to make room for more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter