Buy where you want to stay...

UpStNYmouse

Earning My Ears
I hear this over and over....the Buying DVC show says it all the time. Is it really that difficult to find a studio (or any style of room) for a week at 7 mos outside Saratoga and OKW? It sounds like its getting harder to book outside your home resort and we're afraid it's only going to get worse. While we would pick a home resort we love, having multiple options to stay at is part of the benefit for us and if that goes away then DVC isn't as desirable. I just find it so hard to understand availability before you purchase. thanks

It depends on your travel dates and your flexibility.
Would you be really upset not getting BWV during food and wine? Or getting BRV during Christmas?
Then buy where you want to stay.

Would you like to visit all resorts and can visit during the summer or other slow DVC periods? Then buy a resort you don't mind staying and try at 7 resorts. I've stayed at all resorts except WL (targeting it for next time) switching at 7 months, but I've also been "stuck" at SSR points at times (and enjoying the stay).

Studios are getting increasingly difficult.

1 bedrooms are fairly easy to book at seven months Feb to September.

Studios will be difficult year round with availability a little better in the summer.

I blame the 5 in a studio thing.

At the very least buyer where you don't mind staying. If you were to get blocked out at 7 months would you still be happy staying at your home resort? If the answer is no then I'd buy elsewhere. Depending on when you travel and if you're flexible with room category (certain room types you can assume will never be available for a full stay at 7 months regardless of time of year such as AKV Value & Club Studios) you can still stay at many great resorts.

MId-Sept through the Marathon in January, plus Run Disney events, Easter, Fourth of July are going to be harder to book at seven months out. If you are planning lots of summers, you should be okay.

In my experience, the choices Are getting slimmer at 7 months then when I first became a member 10 years ago,

But, it all depends, as mentioned, on when you are going. The near park resorts are going to be more difficult to get, But, if you go into it with an idea that you may not always get exactly what you want, it might work out for you,

I would not buy a place that you would be frustrated with if you have to stay there more often than you like.

Just a reminder, if buying resale, you will be unable to use the points at Rivera or any other new resort that is built.

DVC is a lot of money, so choose a place that makes you happy. I do own a lot of points at SSR and trade out of there a good deal...been lucky with getting VGF in May, June, and August, Poly in January, and CCV in March...thought it took a little work..along with BLT.

But I also own BWV and RIV to use for specific trips that I use for hard to get times when I know using my SSR points might not work.

Good luck!

Thanks for the input. We are flexible with time but normally travel Feb-May (did Easter last year, no more of that). DD is still in school so for now will work around that. Summer could be an option if we can't take her out of school. We don't "need" to stay anywhere, anytime...we're not too picky. Hard to get value rooms would be nice but not critical. I think we just want to know we'll have options.

See this thread https://www.disboards.com/threads/p...-bd-charts-september-2019-2-bd-added.3689931/ for an idea of how challenging it can be at various times of year to secure studios.
Keep in mind that as more DVC resorts are added things could change, especially if large numbers of smaller contracts sold. Long term the barring of Riviera resale owners from booking the legacy resorts may also impact studio availability.

To add, the more direct RIV owners..future resorts as well...who can trade into L14 when resale owners can’t trade to RIV, will also impact things.

To add, the more direct RIV owners..future resorts as well...who can trade into L14 when resale owners can’t trade to RIV, will also impact things.

One will be able to exchange their points for RIV with points rental companies. If one wants to stay at RIV. It will probably cost $3 or $4/pt for a straightup trade.

The same applies to RIV resale buyers.

Right now, if a resale buyer wants to do a Disney cruise, there are points rental sites that will make that happen.

All of this will be arbitraged and should not be viewed as an issue.

One will be able to exchange their points for RIV with points rental companies. If one wants to stay at RIV. It will probably cost $3 or $4/pt for a straightup trade.

The same applies to RIV resale buyers.

Right now, if a resale buyer wants to do a Disney cruise, there are points rental sites that will make that happen.

All of this will be arbitraged and should not be viewed as an issue.

Yes, if one wants to stay at RIV then, you are right, they will need to rent someone else’s points or pay cash, But they can not exchange their points to do it.

However, that requires a RiV owner to book at 11 months or those with qualified points to try for a room at 7 months, which does make the pool smaller.,

When you are renting, you aren’t in control of the reservation so it’s not giving you the same thing as booking your own reservation, especially if you have to rent your own points to do it.

Remember, when booking for cruises, an owner is renting their own points to cover the cost. Not everyone wants to be involved in that. It is certainly something one can do, but you have to be comfortable with dealing with the process,

There are still going to be a lot more resale buyers who will be just using points at L14 and a lot of RIV owners trading in, so it is going to have some impact

Last edited:
Yes, if one wants to stay at RIV then, you are right, they will need to rent someone else’s points or pay cash, But they can not exchange their points to do it.

However, that requires a RiV owner to book at 11 months or those with qualified points to try for a room at 7 months, which does make the pool smaller.,

When you are renting, you aren’t in control of the reservation so it’s not giving you the same thing as booking your own reservation, especially if you have to rent your own points to do it.

I would imagine that there will be decent availability at 7 mos for RIV for a while, so I don't think this is a big issue.

I would imagine that there will be decent availability at 7 mos for RIV for a while, so I don't think this is a big issue.

Nope. Studios are booking right at 7 months so far. Not sure that will change anytime soon. They are pretty much booked solid through July.

RiV will be difficult to get into at 7 months. Actually, SV studios are disappearing for the fall already during home resort,

Last edited:
Nope. Studios are booking right at 7 months so far. Not sure that will change anytime soon. They are pretty much booked solid through July.

RiV will be difficult to get into at 7 months. Actually, SV studios are disappearing for the fall already during home resort,

Really won't know until the entire resort is declared and it's been a couple of years. With any new resort I also always point out that there are a LOT of people buying direct who don't know that they could even buy anything else and they plan to stay other locations with their points whether frequently or infrequently. Hopefully they aren't think AKV value though with their Riviera points.

The number of people qualified to trade from the 14 into Riviera will far outnumber total Riviera owners for years and years to come. Then it's just a matter of how many want to try and make that trade.

See this thread https://www.disboards.com/threads/p...-bd-charts-september-2019-2-bd-added.3689931/ for an idea of how challenging it can be at various times of year to secure studios.
Keep in mind that as more DVC resorts are added things could change, especially if large numbers of smaller contracts sold. Long term the barring of Riviera resale owners from booking the legacy resorts may also impact studio availability.

Thanks sndral for this link. I hoped there was something like this.

Really won't know until the entire resort is declared and it's been a couple of years. With any new resort I also always point out that there are a LOT of people buying direct who don't know that they could even buy anything else and they plan to stay other locations with their points whether frequently or infrequently. Hopefully they aren't think AKV value though with their Riviera points.

The number of people qualified to trade from the 14 into Riviera will far outnumber total Riviera owners for years and years to come. Then it's just a matter of how many want to try and make that trade.

Agreed...no one knows for sure, but right now, it is proving difficult. I believe it will continue to be tough, especially SV rooms. Expecting a decent amount of availability is not matching current trends,

I still think that as time goes on, the imbalance will begin to show, especially when Reflections comes on board in 2022. Trends for studios at 7 months are already more difficult.

Its good that we all get to share our own opinions. I believe RIV will remain popular.

You're focusing on a small slice of the available room options.

I show studio preferred view available with no blocked out days starting 5 July, with one blocked out day in Sep and 2 blocked out days in Oct.
I show 1 BR standard view available from end of June with no blocked out days.
I show 1 BR preferred view available from end of May with no blocked out days.

Sure, tower studio and standard view studio are in high demand. But that's only two of eight choices; all of the rest have good availability.

When we purchased in '08 - and really thru '12 - purchasing based on lowest cost was a serious option. Now if there is a specific type of room, location, or venue then buy according to that specificity. We own most of our points at AK and have not been able to reserve a value studio for next September thru present - it's our home venue and the rooms are gone 11+ months out.

I expect the preferred rooms to be quite available at 7 months during non peak season. Currently outside fall frenzy getting BWV garden view is not impossible. RIV preferred costs more points and in a slightly worst location, so it should be easier to book.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter