Buzz Lightyear Star Command - This Attraction Needs To Go

BachataMan

Registered
I don't understand why this attraction is still around. In fact, it has been in the building space it's located in for a longer period of time than the three other attractions that preceded it. I get it - it's fun because it's a video game where you can rack up points and compete against other people so it's still widely popular, but the ride is extremely dated for one. I said this as far back as 2003 especially compared to MIB at Universal and it's still around 15 years later with no changes or upgrades whatsoever. It feels like one of those cheap laser tag games from the 90s like they had at Discovery Zone. Half the time the gun doesn't even work and you develop carpal tunnel from using it. Toy Story Mania over at HS is the same exact concept but done WAY better. Why couldn't that ride be a spiritual successor? Even with Toy Story Land coming, it sounds like this ride is here to stay. I think they should at least upgrade it with current technology or make it Wreck It Ralph themed or something. Hell, I'd be down for Disney going full retro and bringing back If You Had Wings.

Funny, I enjoy Buzz way more than TSMM.

Maybe it's because I usually finish the ride with this ...

BuzzLightyearScore.png

That said ALL of Tomorrowland needs a refurb
but it needs to begin with the Alien Encounter, Carousel of Progress, Tomorrowland Speedway .....

Unfortunately TRON has probably guaranteed all we get is some more paint colors. :rolleyes:

Me too. I've done TSMM only once, which was enough. And because it's usually included as part of a special event, I could do it as part of that with no wait, but I don't bother. Maybe it's a generational thing.

You may be right there with the generation. It does seem more old school - not that either of us is old at all. :rolleyes1

But DS2 does love Buzz and rides alone so he can shoot both guns. About half the time he is able to max them both out.

TSMM, I am fine if we don't ride it at all, and I never understood the morning run for it. DS1 really likes it so I took him to the EMM at DHS when they had it. It was great for him to ride over and over. Me, not so much but it was better than repeating ST over and over.

Funny, I enjoy Buzz way more than TSMM.

Maybe it's because I usually finish the ride with this ...

View attachment 319235

That said ALL of Tomorrowland needs a refurb
but it needs to begin with the Alien Encounter, Carousel of Progress, Tomorrowland Speedway .....

Unfortunately TRON has probably guaranteed all we get is some more paint colors. :rolleyes:
What’s wrong with carousel of progress?

What’s wrong with carousel of progress?

Well ...........

First time I saw it was 1964 and I guess 54 years later it's gotten quite old (I haven't just the attraction ;)) especially since it's barely changed.

IMO, I think the bigger part I'd like it to go is Tomorrowland is SO SO DATED and in such need of a complete renovation. Then you have an old dated attraction that takes up lots of valuable real estate, and sits virtually empty except when it rains or park is near capacity. When all joke it's the best nap you'll get all day .... and when you get inside between the smell and the carpet it just doesn't maintain Disney standards. It's like the anchor that holds down the entire land. TRON is going to make it even worse.

I would also rather ride buzz than Tsmm. We love it. I think part of the fun is being able to ride it at night multiple times. I guess if tsmm was like that maybe we’d enjoy it more. I don’t know. We’ve done tsmm twice and have no desire to go back.

Well ...........

First time I saw it was 1964 and I guess 54 years later it's gotten quite old (I haven't just the attraction ;)) especially since it's barely changed.

IMO, I think the bigger part I'd like it to go is Tomorrowland is SO SO DATED and in such need of a complete renovation. Then you have an old dated attraction that takes up lots of valuable real estate, and sits virtually empty except when it rains or park is near capacity. When all joke it's the best nap you'll get all day .... and when you get inside between the smell and the carpet it just doesn't maintain Disney standards. It's like the anchor that holds down the entire land. TRON is going to make it even worse.
We love how corny carousel of progress is! I think they could maybe update the last scene since it looks like it should be the future. Neither dh nor I like buzz and we would much rather do carousel of progress.

We love how corny carousel of progress is! I think they could maybe update the last scene since it looks like it should be the future. Neither dh nor I like buzz and we would much rather do carousel of progress.

That is the problem with Tomorrowland and FutureLand ............ they are dated before they are even built. It's just too expensive to build the future and keep up with it. I think if they went more the route of the Tomorrowland movie it would have more longevity.

I think they should at least upgrade it with current technology or make it Wreck It Ralph themed or something.

Rumor was that the Stitch ride was going to become Wreck It Ralph themed, so at least you can go do that one if they ever get it done.

That is the problem with Tomorrowland and FutureLand ............ they are dated before they are even built. It's just too expensive to build the future and keep up with it. I think if they went more the route of the Tomorrowland movie it would have more longevity.
I completely agree. Having the future as a theme only works if they can keep up with the future and technology which is a hard thing to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter