Buzz Lightyear Star Command - This Attraction Needs To Go

Buzz is one of our very favorite rides - for everyone in our family, all ages! Although we do like the Toy Story Midway Mania ride, none of us have gotten as into it as much as we have with Buzz.

For me, part of the fun of WDW is that it is combination of nostalgic rides as well as newer attractions. I don't expect, or necessarily want, every attraction at WDW to be the latest cutting edge technology.

I do like this ride but to me it's apparent that it is due for technical upgrades and refurbishment. The guns for TSMM are leaps and bounds beyond these, for starters. I noticed worn paint on a lot of the vehicles as well but maybe that's been fixed.

I wouldn't say get rid of it, but I do think it could use a serious refresh. They could plus it up and change the lasers to the kind they have at DL where you can hold them in your hands. Conceptually the ride is fine and it fits in Tomorrowland too, but a bit of an overhaul would be nice.

I love TSM but I do not like Buzz that much. it's kinda silly and yes ALL of Tomorrowland needs a refurb because it's all dated!
I'm not saying all tomorroland should be redone, just keep the attractions but do a full refurb on them.

Despite it being simpler in terms of technology, I like Buzz a lot more than Toy Story Mania. The physical setting still makes it more interesting for me rather than just playing a fun video game. I would like to see upgrades to at least match Disneyland or Paris, where the guns can be removed and work a lot better.

I loved If You Had Wings and Dreamflight, so I'd rather see something of that vein in Tomorrowland. Even so, Buzz doesn't bother me there like Stitch and Monsters Inc. do. It's probably because it's fun and has been there for so long.

I enjoy the ride enough (not nearly as much as TSMM) but our boys ages 9 and 13 don't like it and our younger son finds it frustrating; he either gets a gun that doesn't work or finds it too finicky to work well. The spinning is fun, I will say that. It needs a tech refurb to make it a bit more accessible, IMO.

I enjoy the ride, just find it frustrating. Maybe I've just always gotten bad luck with the vehicles we're in :rotfl:

Our family enjoys Buzz Light too. Sure it’s not high tech, but we have so much fun. We compete for the highest score, laugh when we spin around and see each other. It’s one of our must dos.

Agree that Tomorrowland Speedway could go. There’s just nothing speedy about it. Slow drivers drive me batty in general.

Our family adores both actually. Maybe it's age of our kids (4yr old twins at this visit coming up), but they just like the buttons and seeing the aliens on Buzz. Then again, my 40-something hubby also competes and loves this right too trying to outdo me and the boys.

As for Speedway (or diesel death buggies as we call them)...another hugely popular vote here from my kids. The fact that they can "drive" a car is huge. BUT, the smell, fumes and pollution from it is unacceptable in this day and age and I could think alternative fuel sources could be found for it.

To each, their own. We love this ride.

I’ll agree it needs a refurb and that they need to fix Buzz, but of all the things that “need to go” at WDW, this would never be on my list.

My now 21 year-old grew up loving the Toy Story movies and everything Toy Story holds a very special place in my heart.

Love Buzz! It doesn't need to go. The great things about rides is...if you don't like 'em, don't ride 'em. I, for one, love shooting little batteries and space creatures.

We love the ride, but quite frankly it and Peter Pan are two of the rides that handle the least amount of people per hour (roughly 800/hour each). No wonder these are two of the rides with some of the longest wait times in the Magic Kingdom.

Like some other slow loading rides of long ago, i would imagine these are two rides that Disney would probably be looking at to somehow create a ride that can handle more people. Perhaps they can do something like dumbo where they double the capacity, or Sorin and TSM where they added a third side and increased the capacity by 50%. Or they can replace the ride with something that handles more people.

Or they can do nothing...

Well ...........

First time I saw it was 1964 and I guess 54 years later it's gotten quite old (I haven't just the attraction ;)) especially since it's barely changed.

IMO, I think the bigger part I'd like it to go is Tomorrowland is SO SO DATED and in such need of a complete renovation. Then you have an old dated attraction that takes up lots of valuable real estate, and sits virtually empty except when it rains or park is near capacity. When all joke it's the best nap you'll get all day .... and when you get inside between the smell and the carpet it just doesn't maintain Disney standards. It's like the anchor that holds down the entire land. TRON is going to make it even worse.
Aww! We love Carousel of Progress. We ride it at least twice every trip (even if it doesn't rain). Even my teenagers like it. We only discovered it 3 years ago and it was instant love. But we all love history and corny so it fits us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter