Cabana Bay vs. Dockside for HHN?

disneyjr77

DIS Veteran
DH has a work trip in Jacksonville and since we'll already be in FL, we decided to rent a car to drive to Universal for HHN. Our dates are Oct 5-8, and we're trying to keep it as inexpensive as possible. I looked at rates for CBBR and Dockside and it's $100 difference. We always stay at CBBR for our family vacations, so even though we're trying to save money, I'm having a hard time deciding.

This will be our first HHN (I'm so excited!), and we want to get in as much as possible. Which resort would be better? It will just be the 2 of us, we have APs, will get one night tickets for Sunday, and do a park day on Monday. I don't know what our Saturday night will look like, if we'll head to CityWalk, IoA, or hang out at the resort. I've also always wanted to go to the rooftop bar at Aventura, so that could also be a option for Saturday night.

I have not stayed at CBBR, but I have stayed a Dockside several times.

It has become my go to as its very inexpensive, its clean and the busses are excellent.

My previous go to was Aventura and there is a lot to like about it. The option to walk or take the boat from SF or use the buses is a big plus. I usually take the boat to the parks (or walk) and the buses back.
If the bus is waiting then Ill usually get it to the parks since its there.

The $100 for 3 days is not really a big difference and if you are both more comfortable staying at CBBR then I would stay there. We have stayed at CBBR and Surfside and have enjoyed them both, but we would pick CBBR.

I've stayed at CBBR but not Dockside. Personally, for a $100 total difference, my fondness for CBBR's pools and lazy river + familiarity with their food court would win out. And it's closer to Aventura if you want to hit their bar.

One thing about CBBR and HHN - there is usually a themed bar and a themed area for HHN.

I always plan to go over and check it out, but have never made it.

Last year they had a chucky themed photo area that was a pretty good sized room with multiple photo opportunities.
They had Photo ops at all the hotels, but they were pretty basic and nothing like CBBR from what I have seen in videos.

We checked out the CBBR HHN themed area in 2021 (Jack the clown). It was fine, there was no one else there on the night we went, but it was pretty lackluster. It is solely a photo op rig. If we stay at CBBR during HHN again, we'd check out that year's offering (since it's free and not out of the way). But we wouldn't bother to make a trip over to CBBR just to see it. It's a shame, they could do something much more worthwhile with a little effort.

I wound up booking CBBR, and am still going back and forth, but now it's between Aventura and CBBR lol I didn't want to wait until i made up my mind to book, because I was afraid our weekend would sell out. DH was given the wrong dates for training, our new dates are 10/11-15, and being 2 weeks away from Halloween I didn't know how availability would be if i waited.

Thank you for all of your input :flower1:

I wound up booking CBBR, and am still going back and forth, but now it's between Aventura and CBBR lol I didn't want to wait until i made up my mind to book, because I was afraid our weekend would sell out. DH was given the wrong dates for training, our new dates are 10/11-15, and being 2 weeks away from Halloween I didn't know how availability would be if i waited.

Thank you for all of your input :flower1:

I think you will like Cabana Bay. It's a nice resort and it's got two great pools, bowling and some good food options.

Plus one of my favorite resort Gift shop

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter