Calling all Kentucky Bluegrass DVCers

We do both - depends on airfare from CVG, DAY, and LEX :) We are so excited - 2 weeks and a day to go! Also, glad to see some other NKYians showing up in the group :) Along the same lines, how many of you have used Allegiant Air??

Since we are all frequent visitors to WDW, how many of us drive when we go? We haven't for about 10 years now. DW is not a good car rider, unless she's on the way to have a shopping fit.

We still drive. We usually leave in the evening and drive all night. I enjoy driving, and during the night, the children get to sleep and there is less fighting in the car. I am a little tired the following morning, but nothing like the magic of disney world (and a lot of caffeine) to keep me awake as I drive and when I get there.

we usually drive. DW's aunt lives in St simons Island GA. We drive to there (about 10 hours) and then go the rest of the way the next day. Do the same thing on the way back! They are DVCers too and often head down with us!!

how many of us drive when we go? We haven't for about 10 years now. DW is not a good car rider, unless she's on the way to have a shopping fit.

Welcome back!! We always drive. No big deal. 860 mls and 2 drivers taking turns. We have most of our stops already picked out due to the past trips we have made. :love: safe gas stations, clean restrooms:lmao: and all the starbucks on the way down:rolleyes1:banana::woohoo:

Welcome back!! We always drive. No big deal. 860 mls and 2 drivers taking turns. We have most of our stops already picked out due to the past trips we have made.

We really don't plan our gas stops, but a couple of times, we found ourselves at the same exit at the same gas station and asked "didn't we stop here last year".

We flew Allegiant out of LEX earlier this month for a quick long weekend to BLT. We got $12.50 each way fare!!!! The three us us flew round-trip for $160 total. Now that they fly into MCO and we can use ME it is a wonderful deal. I was hesitant using a new airline, but everything went very smooth. We just took carry-on instead of checking luggage. We keep checking and have seen some 9.99 fares too.

We do both - depends on airfare from CVG, DAY, and LEX :) We are so excited - 2 weeks and a day to go! Also, glad to see some other NKYians showing up in the group :) Along the same lines, how many of you have used Allegiant Air??

We flew Allegiant out of LEX earlier this month for a quick long weekend to BLT. We got $12.50 each way fare!!!! The three us us flew round-trip for $160 total. Now that they fly into MCO and we can use ME it is a wonderful deal. I was hesitant using a new airline, but everything went very smooth. We just took carry-on instead of checking luggage. We keep checking and have seen some 9.99 fares too.

Those are some great prices. Allegiant flies much more often from Lexington than from Owensboro. How much is long term parking in Lexington airport?

Those are some great prices. Allegiant flies much more often from Lexington than from Owensboro. How much is long term parking in Lexington airport?

Bluegrass Airports website says long term parking is $10/day.

Bluegrass Airports website says long term parking is $10/day.

Thanks for the info. I checked both locations and the flights won't work for us these trips unless we shorten/ add days. I enjoy driving, but it does get tiring. I think the worst part for us is going through Atlanta (I-75). The only way around it I found was I-65 to Mobile and then over, but it adds 2 or 3 hours of drive time on the trip. Anyone have a better travel journey?

We always drive from Bowling Green. There are five of us and it just costs too much for us to fly. We usually drive to Ocala, spend the night and then get up and drive the last little bit the next morning and are at WDW by 10:00 or 11:00 a.m. This summer we can't leave until 6:00 p.m so our plan is to drive to south of Atlanta and then get up and leave by 7:00 or 7:30 a.m. and make it to WDW by mid-afternoon. Hoping some day to have a cheap flight to Orlando out of BG. They keep teasing us every few years saying one is in the works - but so far it hasn't happened.

We always drive from Bowling Green. There are five of us and it just costs too much for us to fly. We usually drive to Ocala, spend the night and then get up and drive the last little bit the next morning and are at WDW by 10:00 or 11:00 a.m. This summer we can't leave until 6:00 p.m so our plan is to drive to south of Atlanta and then get up and leave by 7:00 or 7:30 a.m. and make it to WDW by mid-afternoon. Hoping some day to have a cheap flight to Orlando out of BG. They keep teasing us every few years saying one is in the works - but so far it hasn't happened.

We keep debating the hotel stop, but for now, we just drive straight through. We leave after Mass on Saturday (6:00 PM), and arrive at WDW around 8:00 AM. DW and children get the best sleep they can in the car, and I drive the largest part. I am exhausted, but I can rest by the pool that 1st day and then I am usually good to go for the rest of the trip.

We keep debating the hotel stop, but for now, we just drive straight through. We leave after Mass on Saturday (6:00 PM), and arrive at WDW around 8:00 AM. DW and children get the best sleep they can in the car, and I drive the largest part. I am exhausted, but I can rest by the pool that 1st day and then I am usually good to go for the rest of the trip.

drive all night while everyone sleeps:banana: There is nothing better then waking everyone up as the sun rises:love: Tired:headache: but it's sooo worth it to see the others so happy in the morning after the long 13-14 hr drive.:hippie:

Thanks for the info. I checked both locations and the flights won't work for us these trips unless we shorten/ add days. I enjoy driving, but it does get tiring. I think the worst part for us is going through Atlanta (I-75). The only way around it I found was I-65 to Mobile and then over, but it adds 2 or 3 hours of drive time on the trip. Anyone have a better travel journey?

Being from Owensboro, you can leave town at 5pm and drive through Atlanta at midnight when traffic isn't that bad. That's usually when we travel, you just have to time it right to miss the rush hours.
We usually drive straight through on I-75. If we stop it's near Macon, GA so theres only a few hours to drive the next day. DW and I take turns and for our upcoming trip we will have one other adult to help out. It usually takes us 13-14 hours from Louisville.

Thanks for the info on Allegiant. I am glad to hear that you had a good experience recently. I was thinking of using them for the same type trip - more adult only quick long weekend trips vs trips with our little guys when we have lots of extra stuff. It looked like the extra stuff could get a bit expensive with them. Was that for 2 tickets? Thanks again!

PS - doing a serious happy dance as we are headed back in 6 days :)!!!!!!!

We also drive from Bowling Green. We leave right after school (DH and I are both teachers) and drive as far as we can. Then we stop for the night and get a fairly good night's sleep. We arrive at WDW early afternoon and spend the first day at the resort, taking it easy.

I HATE to fly, but my DH keeps telling me about those $9.99 flights out of Owensboro. I have to admit, it IS tempting!

Thanks for the info on Allegiant. I am glad to hear that you had a good experience recently. I was thinking of using them for the same type trip - more adult only quick long weekend trips vs trips with our little guys when we have lots of extra stuff. It looked like the extra stuff could get a bit expensive with them. Was that for 2 tickets? Thanks again!

PS - doing a serious happy dance as we are headed back in 6 days :)!!!!!!!

Our round trip $160 total was for three! DH, DS, and ME. You have to keep checking and checking their rates because sometimes you only get one or two of the tickets at the deep discount and the remaining would be higher. We have learned to check daily when we are looking and keep playing with the reservation system. Also, they automatically add seat assignment fees unless you click twice to opt out. To answer a prior question posted about parking. We paid $7 per day in the long term at LEX.

Our round trip $160 total was for three! DH, DS, and ME. You have to keep checking and checking their rates because sometimes you only get one or two of the tickets at the deep discount and the remaining would be higher. We have learned to check daily when we are looking and keep playing with the reservation system. Also, they automatically add seat assignment fees unless you click twice to opt out. To answer a prior question posted about parking. We paid $7 per day in the long term at LEX.

Hmmmmm drive to Lexington or Owensboro to fly to WDW even though we can pay SOOOO:eek: much more at SDF:confused:

Being from Owensboro, you can leave town at 5pm and drive through Atlanta at midnight when traffic isn't that bad.

That's the route we usually go. Downtown Atlanta is beautiful at night, and even moreso with no traffic. T

Our round trip $160 total was for three! DH, DS, and ME. You have to keep checking and checking their rates because sometimes you only get one or two of the tickets at the deep discount and the remaining would be higher. We paid $7 per day in the long term at LEX.

Thanks for the info. I need to watch it a bit closer, but I wish I could just get the rate and be done with it. I like to plan the vacation, but once it is done, I don't want to keep going back and looking at it. But, for plane tickets cheaper than gas (and a lot less driving hours) it is worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter