camera film

wdw47

DIS Veteran
mabye someone can help us whta would be the best way to transport camera film we have heard the new equipment at air ports can ruin film will vidieo tape and digital cameras be affected too ty :earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsboy:

The TSA staff asked me out of Orlando if I had my film in my carry-on or checked baggage. I said carry-on and they said that was a good idea. To be 100% sure, I asked for my film rolls to be hand inspected. Did not want to lose any WDW pictures.

Thanks
Jason

Just make sure you carry them with you. The x-ray machines for your luggage is much stronger than the walk thru scanners. I had no problem with doing it that way and didn't damage any film, coming or going. I had digital also and nothing happened to them. If you have very sensitive type film you can have it hand inspected and skip the machine as stated above but I wouldn't worry unless you were a professional photographer with special equipment.

There is a slick alternative that DW and I came up with. At the end of your WDW vacation, mail the film off to Photoworks or Snapfish directly from the hotel.

Anyway, your film will avoid all the xrays and stuff and your photos will be ready soon after you get back!

Bring the Photoworks/Snapfish film mailer envelopes with you on the trip so you'll be all ready to go. We like to mail two rolls off as soon as they are exposed, that way we'll have photos waiting for us when we get back. There is no fussing with postage, cuz its built into the envelope. (postage paid)

Of course, if we had a digital camera we wouldn't have that problem right? But we like having the "hard copies" that come with actual photographs.

Darian

PS the links to their web site are below. Been happy with Photoworks but are going to give Snapfish a shot soon.

http://www.photoworks.com/
http://www.snapfish.com/

Darian -- sending the rolls of film away immedatly is a good idea. That way, they are less likely to "get lost" during the duration of the trip (esp. since i take lots of rolls at Disney). How much does one roll of film developed cost? and does it cost anything to sign-up??

I'd also recommend developing a roll or two while you're at WDW... This way, you'll ensure your camera is working and you can see if you're getting the shots that you want. :p

If you're a member of MyPoints and you sign up for Snapfish through them, you'll get 200 points after your first roll is developed.

Is used film just as vulnerable to the machines as unused?
I am planning on a stop at Target on our way in....to pick up snacks, etc so I was going to buy my film then too.
But what about getting it back home in a suitcase....should I still put it in a carry-on??
Does the little container it comes in protect it??
Thanks

Originally posted by Ilove8Trax
Darian -- sending the rolls of film away immedatly is a good idea. That way, they are less likely to "get lost" during the duration of the trip (esp. since i take lots of rolls at Disney). How much does one roll of film developed cost? and does it cost anything to sign-up??

Hi Ilove8Trax!

Here is the link to the photoworks pricing page. Their prices are pretty good, but are even better if you don't request replacement film.

http://www.photoworks.com/info/pricing.aspx

For example Jumbo Size 5 x 7" prints - with 2 sets of prints are only 12.50 ( 15-27 photos) Smaller prints are a lot less $$$. So is getting one set of prints. I find they are pretty reasonable, plus they will scan all your photos in and you can download them to your computer before you even get your film back. Free. No sign up costs either.

Say you plan on using up 6 rolls of film... I'd bring along 3 mailing envelopes (you can request them online) and only put 2 rolls per envelope. That way, if the unthinkable happens (something lost in the mail) then your photo loss is limited.

Like you said, sending them off ASAP means less of a chance for the rolls to get misplaced. Time and heat greatly lower the quality of exposed film, so processing them rapidly is a smart thing.

Darian

Originally posted by cindyfan
Is used film just as vulnerable to the machines as unused?
I am planning on a stop at Target on our way in....to pick up snacks, etc so I was going to buy my film then too.
But what about getting it back home in a suitcase....should I still put it in a carry-on??
Does the little container it comes in protect it??
Thanks

I'd say probably more so. Unless the container is wrapped in lead foil it won't protect the film from the xrays. Use the foil and expect your bag to get thoroughly searched. Don't do the lead foil thing, just carry the film with you. Getting your film at Target is probably a good bet if you don't want to have all in your carryon.

Darian

Originally posted by Ilove8Trax

I've been using Snapfish for sometime now and I'm very pleased with the quality and speed of processing. I get my prints back within a week from mailing and it costs nothing to sign up.

Your 1st roll is developed for free, you just pay 1.99 s/h. Single prints are 2.99 + 1.99 s/h, doubles are 4.98 + 1.99 s/h (5x7's are 1.00 more).

Your photos are available to view online 1 day after they receive your film and you can even view your photos from your mobile phone (depending on your service provider and the model of your phone.

It's a great service and I too will be mailing my film from the world .

Unless you normally use very sensitive (faster than ASA 1600), the x-ray's used for scanning carry-on bags will not harm your film, either exposed or unexposed. Only the new equipment used to scan checked baggage is a hazard to film.

If you normally send your film for developing, that's a great idea.
Personally, we've switched to digital...we can check the photo immediately for 'content' and back in the room (on the laptop) for exposure, etc. Then when we get home, we print the ones we like and can email copies to grandparents, etc. Just remember the batteries!

They had a sign at Toronto airport for 800ASA+ being potential danger for being ruined.

Maybe the machines in Toronto are different or they are more carfeul

Thanks
Jason

There is a slick alternative that DW and I came up with. At the end of your WDW vacation, mail the film off to Photoworks or Snapfish directly from the hotel.

You might want to be very careful about this, the postal service uses xray machines equal to the ones at the airport. If you are truly worried about your film, which if you put it in your carryon there should not be a problem, have it developed there in a one hour place that actually looks at what they are printing. Most send out labs do not do this and the pictures are not very good (at least compared to the ones I used to do and I redid a lot from Snapfish and Photoworks and Wal*Mart's send out).

Say you plan on using up 6 rolls of film... I'd bring along 3 mailing envelopes (you can request them online) and only put 2 rolls per envelope. That way, if the unthinkable happens (something lost in the mail) then your photo loss is limited.

Yet another reason NEVER to send film out. It cannot get lost if it never leaves the building.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter