Camera strap

care to elaborate on the not-happyish feelings about your BR ??

have you checked out the optech dual harness, it's awesome if you have 2 cameras, and can also be used with just one camera, and the fact that it's optechs modular system makes it that much better..

Well lately I have been doing a lot of tripod shooting which makes using the bottom mount a pain in general. This has also led to two close calls when using it. Once I was using the d-ring on the tripod quick release plate as a connection point instead of the connector that comes with it- found out that was a no-no when I lifted the camera from my side and found it attached to nothing and the d-ring on the ground. The other time I was shooting with the 70-200/2.8 and had the connector in the tripod mount on the lens- went to change lenses and forgot this- dropped my D700 and then cought it before it hit the ground. So in using the strap and having two major near misses in just a couple months make me question how much I really like it. BR is supposedly developing a stainless steel replacement for a tripod quick release plate that the d-ring is suitable for supporting a camera from their strap. If they came out with this I think it would solve a lot of problems- including the way the connector tears up the rubber on the bottom of my camera and the way the clasp scuffs the finish off since the plate is wider and offers more protection. It is the most comfy strap I have ever had but it has me paranoid about dropping my gear.

I'll check out the Op-Tech but I rarely carry two cameras.

I am another vote for neck strap, but I like two different straps mentioned already. I used to use the Optech because it had more cushion on the neck, but recently switched to the Kata Reflex E like Justin did. To me, the Kata seems to breathe more so it doesn't get so hot on the back of my neck and I like the extra pockets on the Kata strap for memory cards.

While I think it is unlikely for a strap mount to fail on a body (depending on camera manufacturer), I also had the same concern and ordered mine with the PodMount accessory.

If I'm in a situation where I think I'll need to switch between a tripod and hand holding then I'll use the strap mount instead.

I searched the web to see if I could fine any stories of strap mounts failing on Canon rebel bodies and didn't come up with anything.

I've seen it happen to a 35mm Rebel, and they were built a little more solidly than the DSLR Rebels. Had it happen with me on another camera.

I've also seen the threads on tripod mounts strip and cameras crash to the ground as well.

I've seen it happen to a 35mm Rebel, and they were built a little more solidly than the DSLR Rebels. Had it happen with me on another camera.

I've also seen the threads on tripod mounts strip and cameras crash to the ground as well.

thanks for sharing that, i had wondered about the tripod mount,

I was using the tripod mount with my BR strap until I saw Gdad's thread about the near miss he had with his camera. So I changed it to the provided connector. On a recent trip to San Francisco, I picked the camera up from hanging at my side and just like Gdad it was not attached to anything. The screw had loosened from the mount. :scared1: I know I had it on tightly but I was getting in and out of a tour van so maybe all the movement loosened it. After that I was paranoid and kept checkin the mount to make sure it was screwed in tightly. A neck strap is hard for me to use when I am carrying a camera for a long period of time. My neck quickly starts to ache so I wind up carrying it in one hand to relieve the pressure on my neck. Now I know I will be paranoid whenever I am walking around with the BR strap.

I was using the tripod mount with my BR strap until I saw Gdad's thread about the near miss he had with his camera. So I changed it to the provided connector. On a recent trip to San Francisco, I picked the camera up from hanging at my side and just like Gdad it was not attached to anything. The screw had loosened from the mount. :scared1: I know I had it on tightly but I was getting in and out of a tour van so maybe all the movement loosened it. After that I was paranoid and kept checkin the mount to make sure it was screwed in tightly. A neck strap is hard for me to use when I am carrying a camera for a long period of time. My neck quickly starts to ache so I wind up carrying it in one hand to relieve the pressure on my neck. Now I know I will be paranoid whenever I am walking around with the BR strap.

check out the optech dual harness, it can be used with just one camera, takes the pressure off of your neck, and holds the camera by the normal strap mounts

I have neck problems and I can't do a lot of weight on it. I can't use the stock camera straps and can't even use my Optech straps for extended periods of time anymore, especially not with a heavier camera. But I can use my Crumpler strap all day with no issues because of how well it distributes the weight.

Not saying what I've got is the right strap for everyone... just that the right neck strap for you can make a huge difference.

Im not whinning cause it was so worth the 200 pictures but I got a rubbed raw neck from wearing the camera. what do you reccomend for a budget freindly padded (or more confortable) strap?

Im not whinning cause it was so worth the 200 pictures but I got a rubbed raw neck from wearing the camera. what do you reccomend for a budget freindly padded (or more confortable) strap?

What do you consider budget friendly? You should check out Op-Tech and Black Rapid straps. Op-Tech seems to be a bit more budget friendly than Black Rapid.

Shoulder strap?
I've never slung my camera around my neck, always put my forearm through the strap and wound my wrist around it a couple of times.

I'm not as experienced as some others around here, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I wanted something cute as well as comfortable. All of the camera places I looked at just had plain, boring straps, so I bought one off of etsy.com. Here is the one I bought: http://www.etsy.com/transaction/28069883

It has been comfortable to wear so far, but it think it might actually be too long to wear around my neck. I need to work on adjusting it. I think I'd like to try a black rapid, but I impulsed on that one. The price seemed a little high, but I've seen them in the $10 range as well if you are interested. Just do a search on etsy.com for 'dslr camera strap' and see what comes up.

Have a look at the Luma Loop. I got one before our recent Disneyland/San Diego trip and it ended up working well. It straps across your body so that the camera hangs down at your side. Add a a wrist strap and you'll be all set.

I LOVE the Crumpler Industry Disgrace. It runs $40, so I don't know how "budget" that is, depends on your point of view I guess. I've used a lot of straps and it's by far my favorite.

I awalys wear my camera around my neck, I feel like im less likely to loose it (or have one of the kids bounce there head off my lens). I will definatally check out the ones you suggested, just as soon as I finish editing the last 75 prade photos...

photo_chick said:
I LOVE the Crumpler Industry Disgrace. It runs $40, so I don't know how "budget" that is, depends on your point of view I guess. I've used a lot of straps and it's by far my favorite.

I'll second that. It allows for two "tiers" of sizing. Most of the time, I sling my camera over my shoulder like a messenger bag and I don't even notice the strap because of it's padding and comfort.

I'll second that. It allows for two "tiers" of sizing. Most of the time, I sling my camera over my shoulder like a messenger bag and I don't even notice the strap because of it's padding and comfort.

Am I understanding this correctly--you can wear it around your neck or adjust it and wear it across your body? That sounds ideal. How hard is it to go from wearing it one way to the other? I mean, is the adjustment process difficult--could I change it while I'm walking down Main Street at the Magic Kingdom? :thumbsup2

I'll third that!!!! I just bought mine a month ago, and totally love it. I even battle tested it during the extreme heat of Star Wars Weekends. It's great to not feel like you're "wearing" a strap.... if you get my drift. My Canon one was so uncomfortable, especially when hot outside. It wasn't great to have your mind on comfort AND trying to take pictures.

Am I understanding this correctly--you can wear it around your neck or adjust it and wear it across your body? That sounds ideal. How hard is it to go from wearing it one way to the other? I mean, is the adjustment process difficult--could I change it while I'm walking down Main Street at the Magic Kingdom? :thumbsup2

I'd say that adjusting it is as much of a pain as a normal stock strap. But if you keep it at one length, it'll be comfortable whether around your neck or across your body. I know that my stock canon strap would press uncomfortably on my neck if my strap was across the body.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter