Can I buy a flex pass if my SoCal pass expires in a month, or MUST I renew and change my existing pass instead?

hodad

DIS Veteran
I have a SoCal Pass that expires July 21. I have a Galaxy's Edge pass for this afternoon, and to go I would have to buy a single day ticket. Can I upgrade my single day ticket to a Flex Pass at the end of the day, even though my SoCal Pass hasn't expired yet?

I have a SoCal Pass that expires July 21. I have a Galaxy's Edge pass for this afternoon, and to go I would have to buy a single day ticket. Can I upgrade my single day ticket to a Flex Pass at the end of the day, even though my SoCal Pass hasn't expired yet?
I don't know why your SoCal Pass would have anything to do with an AP. Sorry if I'm missing something, but they're two separate entities, right?

I don't know why your SoCal Pass would have anything to do with an AP. Sorry if I'm missing something, but they're two separate entities, right?
The OP has a Southern California AP (pass that’s no longer available for sale.

I know you can renew/upgrade within 40 days of your pass’s expiration but I recently asked about it here and it looks like the new AP won’t become effective until your old AP expires. So you could upgrade at the very end of the day before you go home, as long as you were not planning on returning for a visit before July 21. Hopefully someone will chime in to confirm that what I’m suggesting is in fact true.

I know you can renew/upgrade within 40 days of your pass’s expiration but I recently asked about it here and it looks like the new AP won’t become effective until your old AP expires. So you could upgrade at the very end of the day before you go home, as long as you were not planning on returning for a visit before July 21. Hopefully someone will chime in to confirm that what I’m suggesting is in fact true.
Edited to add... I just thought about it some more and I realize you probably can’t apply the cost of the one-day park ticket to renewing your AP. Hmmmmm... I think it would not hurt to try to upgrade your ticket to a brand new AP and see what happens.

Are all of these valid options? If not, what can I not do?

1) Buy a one-day one park ticket for $149. Go to Galaxy's End. Use my SoCal AP to visit DCA and ride Soarin'. At the end of the day, apply the cost of my one-day park ticket to a new Flex AP that begins today. Let my SoCal AP expire on July 21.
2) Buy a one-day one-park ticket for $149. Go to Galaxy's End. Use my SoCal AP to visit DCA and ride Soarin'. At the end of the day, apply the cost of my one-day park ticket to renew my SoCal AP starting July 21.

Thanks for the clarification. I was thinking it was like the GoCard. At least I understand now.

1) Buy a one-day one park ticket for $149. Go to Galaxy's End. Use my SoCal AP to visit DCA and ride Soarin'. At the end of the day, apply the cost of my one-day park ticket to a new Flex AP that begins today. Let my SoCal AP expire on July 21.
2) Buy a one-day one-park ticket for $149. Go to Galaxy's End. Use my SoCal AP to visit DCA and ride Soarin'. At the end of the day, apply the cost of my one-day park ticket to renew my SoCal AP starting July 21.

I'm leaning toward getting the new Flex AP rather than renewing the SoCal AP, because it seems so much more useful for our family's needs. But I am hesitant to spend the money on a day pass for Galaxy's End if I can't contribute the cost of that ticket toward next year's AP. Would both of the options listed above be viable? And which would you choose for yourself?

I'm leaning toward getting the new Flex AP rather than renewing the SoCal AP, because it seems so much more useful for our family's needs. But I am hesitant to spend the money on a day pass for Galaxy's End if I can't contribute the cost of that ticket toward next year's AP. Would both of the options listed above be viable? And which would you choose for yourself?

Have you asked them about possibly allowing you to renew your AP earlier (you can renew it 40 days in advance, right?) but renewing it to a Flex AP. Does your SoCal AP have parking? Will you lose it if you get the Flex AP?

Your SoCal AP expires in less than 40 days, so I would see if you can renew to a Flex AP, make a reservation ASAP and enter Galaxy's Edge.

Since you're renewing, maybe they can give you a free blackout ticket to enter today.

Have you asked them about possibly allowing you to renew your AP earlier (you can renew it 40 days in advance, right?) but renewing it to a Flex AP. Does your SoCal AP have parking? Will you lose it if you get the Flex AP?

Your SoCal AP expires in less than 40 days, so I would see if you can renew to a Flex AP, make a reservation ASAP and enter Galaxy's Edge.

Since you're renewing, maybe they can give you a free blackout ticket to enter today.
This sounds like it is worth investigating -- at least call the AP hotline to ask about it. I don't think you would be allowed to purchase and activate a Flex AP while your SoCal AP is still valid. You can't hold two active APs under the same name at the same time -- or so Disney says. Upgrading to a Flex AP would be the better option.

If your Annual Pass expires on the 21st July you are well within your 40 day renewal window. Just renew your pass in-person at a ticket booth. They will issue you a Blockout Day exception pass.

If your Annual Pass expires on the 21st July you are well within your 40 day renewal window. Just renew your pass in-person at a ticket booth. They will issue you a Blockout Day exception pass.
So I could renew the pass and could go to Disneyland on the day I renew, even before the official renewal dare? That might be the easiest solution.

So I could renew the pass and could go to Disneyland on the day I renew, even before the official renewal dare? That might be the easiest solution.
Your renewal window for your pass opens up 40 days before your expiration date. You should be able to renew now. You can always call the AP Hotline to confirm that you are within your 40 day window and that you will be given a blockout day pass on the day you renew/upgrade.

Your renewal window for your pass opens up 40 days before your expiration date. You should be able to renew now. You can always call the AP Hotline to confirm that you are within your 40 day window and that you will be given a blockout day pass on the day you renew/upgrade.

They will not give you a blockout day pass for the new Flex Pass, only if you renew/upgrade to anything other than a Flex Pass.

They will not give you a blockout day pass for the new Flex Pass, only if you renew/upgrade to anything other than a Flex Pass.
I was wondering about this -- is this true for everyone or does it depend, as so many things at Disney do, on the CM you get? Anyway, if the OP is able to get a same day reservation for the day she upgrades, then she'll still be able to enter DL.

I was wondering about this -- is this true for everyone or does it depend, as so many things at Disney do, on the CM you get? Anyway, if the OP is able to get a same day reservation for the day she upgrades, then she'll still be able to enter DL.

At this point, reservations aren’t an issue so OP will probably be fine. Multiple people have reported absolutely no flexibility on the Flex Pass policy of no blockout day tickets. I upgraded my one-day Park Hopper in the park, left the park for approximately 30 mins, and then couldn’t get back in. I was turned away at the gate and was told to make a reservation. The reservation system was down and it left me panicking about getting back to my kids in the park. Cast members at the ticket booth had absolutely no sympathy. Eventually, the reservation system started working again, but I wouldn’t recommend upgrading until you are absolutely sure you are done in the park for the day (or not leaving and then returning) to anyone.

When I upgraded a ticket, I interacted with two CSRs, the first happened first, who said do not do it until I was done for that day; the second said she could not make sure ahead of time that I could get back to the park after the upgrade, but she sold several and they were able to make a reservation day of. Since now reservation is quite open, it has not become an issue yet.

So to clarify:

This Sunday, I can go to the ticket counter and renew my SoCal AP for the next year and get a blackout pass to visit Disneyland this Sunday.

OR

This Sunday I can go to the ticket counter and upgrade my SoCal AP to a Flex AP for the next year, but I would have to buy an additional single-day pass to visit Disneyland this Sunday.

Do I have that correct?

This Sunday I can go to the ticket counter and upgrade my SoCal AP to a Flex AP for the next year, but I would have to buy an additional single-day pass to visit Disneyland this Sunday.

Do I have that correct?
I think you can upgrade to a Flex AP and make your DL reservation at that same time, then enter the park. (While you're at it, yo might as well make a reservation for DCA day of, too, since I believe that reservations for both parks on the same day count as one reservation -- or so people have reported in the Flex Pass thread). This would eliminate the need to purchase a single day ticket in addition to your upgrade.

I think you can upgrade to a Flex AP and make your DL reservation at that same time, then enter the park. (While you're at it, yo might as well make a reservation for DCA day of, too, since I believe that reservations for both parks on the same day count as one reservation -- or so people have reported in the Flex Pass thread). This would eliminate the need to purchase a single day ticket in addition to your upgrade.
But my SoCal AP wouldn’t become a Flex AP until July 21, right? So I couldn’t make a day-of reservation this Sunday after renewing to a Flex?

Or are you suggesting that I renew as a Flex and upgrade it to Flex for the remainder of this month also? Is that a thing, since the SoCal AP and Flex AP are both $599?

But my SoCal AP wouldn’t become a Flex AP until July 21, right? So I couldn’t make a day-of reservation this Sunday after renewing to a Flex?

Or are you suggesting that I renew as a Flex and upgrade it to Flex for the remainder of this month also? Is that a thing, since the SoCal AP and Flex AP are both $599?
You will have to ask the CM at the booth when you renew your AP. As usual with things at the ticket booths, YMMV depending on the CM you get. Be prepared to pay for a 1 day/1 park ticket, but the CM may start your Flex Pass that day and give you a day of reservation for DL. It can't hurt to ask -- you never. know what the CM will say.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter