• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cancelled in March, lost deposit, now cruise is cancelled. Any chance for a refund?

bullseye2020

Earning My Ears
I’m on hold with Costco Travel who is on hold with Disney, so I may have an answer to this soon but wanted to post in case others have experienced this.

After our governor announced the shelter in place order, we felt we had to cancel our cruise so if that we only lost 20% if the cruise didn’t get cancelled by Disney. (We knew there was no way we would take the cruise, at that time.)

So we cancelled through Costco Travel, paid the $1800 penalty, and crossed our fingers that the whole thing would work out in the end.

Now that the sailing is officially cancelled, the phone rep said she will call Disney and see if they’re “retroactively” honoring this cancellation.

Anyone in the same boat, who ended up having their cancellation fee refunded? TIA!

A few people have said that they retroactively got their deposit back. I haven't seen any formal published guidance on it.
That is encouraging! I finally got off hold with Costco Travel — the rep said that the Disney rep suggested I call back at the end of the week when they expect they may have guidance on the subject. Fingers crossed.
Thank you!

I also had a cruise that was in the wave of sailings that just got cancellend, and got an email today from Disney saying they would refund my deposit. This is the text of the email:

First and foremost, we hope that you are staying well during these challenging times. Our lives have changed in such extraordinary ways, yet it is heartening to see family, friends and colleagues caring for one another and doing their part to help prevent the spread of coronavirus.

Our records indicate that you were originally booked on a Disney Dream or Disney Fantasy sailing that was scheduled to depart between May 17 and June 18, 2020, and that you cancelled your sail date due to concerns about the new coronavirus (COVID-19). Since then, with the wellbeing of our Guests and team members as our top priority and in line with direction from health experts and government officials, we have cancelled these sailings.

We would like you to know that we are automatically refunding any cancellation fees you may have been charged. This refund will be processed back to the original form of payment, but may be delayed due to the high volume.

If you have any questions, please contact a member of our reservation team at 1-866-325-6685 or 407-566-7797.

Thank you for your patience and understanding as we navigate through these challenging times. We look forward to welcoming you aboard in the future.

Sincerely,

The Cast and Crew
Disney Cruise Line

We canceled our June Italy/Greece cruise and lost our deposit. Today, I received an email form Disney saying they were giving it back since the cruise was canceled. I was blown away by that level of customer service when they are in a middle of this crises. So, I rewarded them by turning around a putting it on the June 2021 Italy/Greece cruise. I have no idea if that cruise can happen by then, but since I wasn't counting on the money, I have no problem with it holding a room just in case.

I received the same email this morning that they’re refunding my deposit! Whew. Thanks everyone!

Also put in a request via email to have the travel insurance refunded while I’m tying up loose ends. Bummed to be missing the beach this summer, but looking forward to next year!

We canceled our June Italy/Greece cruise and lost our deposit. Today, I received an email form Disney saying they were giving it back since the cruise was canceled. I was blown away by that level of customer service when they are in a middle of this crises. So, I rewarded them by turning around a putting it on the June 2021 Italy/Greece cruise. I have no idea if that cruise can happen by then, but since I wasn't counting on the money, I have no problem with it holding a room just in case.

Curious, did you also receive the 125% FCC offer even though you had canceled before PIF?

Curious, did you also receive the 125% FCC offer even though you had canceled before PIF?
Nope—we cancelled our in-laws room and they gave back the deposit. We rebooked our room to a later cruise and got the 125% applied to our new booking. I guess with the cancelled room, they assume if we wanted to rebook we would have; though could see how that may change on post-May cruises since we had the option to rebook at 100% FCC without losing the deposit and later cruises don’t. Still, I would say that if you want the 25% credit, rebook rather than cancel.

We canceled late feb before all this virus broke but we canceled cause my moms health is failing. So we’re going through insurance But I was very surprised when DCL canceled our cruise that they gave us the deposit back I thought since we canceled due to illness thst the deposit would be covered by insurance but DCL covered it.

We canceled late feb before all this virus broke but we canceled cause my moms health is failing. So we’re going through insurance But I was very surprised when DCL canceled our cruise that they gave us the deposit back I thought since we canceled due to illness thst the deposit would be covered by insurance but DCL covered it.
I'd ask the insurance to refund you the insurance premium since there is no need for it now that disney has fully refunded your trip. or at least have the insurance credit for a future trip that you want insured.

We actually canceled after the paid in full date, which is why we lost the deposit (or at least, thought we did until Disney went above and beyond). We never received a 125% offer, since we beat Disney to the cancellation. However, I keep reading that people are somehow getting a 125% offer, despite canceling before Disney did. I can't figure out how that would work, since the person already has the money back. Is Disney saying, rebook and we will give you a 25% credit on the new cruise? Or, am I misunderstanding what people are saying?

We actually canceled after the paid in full date, which is why we lost the deposit (or at least, thought we did until Disney went above and beyond). We never received a 125% offer, since we beat Disney to the cancellation. However, I keep reading that people are somehow getting a 125% offer, despite canceling before Disney did. I can't figure out how that would work, since the person already has the money back. Is Disney saying, rebook and we will give you a 25% credit on the new cruise? Or, am I misunderstanding what people are saying?
Pretty sure those people did not cancel—they probably transferred their reservation to a later cruise. In that case, DCL will apply the 25% as onboard credit to your rebooked cruise. It’s kind of similar to how placeholder benefits work: the 10% placeholder discount is tied to your reservation number, so if you cancel and book a new cruise under a new reservation number you lose it, but if you change the cruise and still have the same reservation number you keep it.

We purchased travel insurance through TravelGuard as Costco members. I sent an email asking for refund of the premium for a trip that was cancelled and refunded by carriers. They would not give a refund, but did allow it to be used as credit through 2022.

We did the same thing. I lost my obb credit with the $200.00 but got a refund. No 125%. You had to have transferred and when I cancelled on my PIF date it was not an option to keep the obbc despite Canada saying not to travel if it could be avoided. The offer had to be on your account. It was for transfers. Not cancellations. I rebooked my Greek cruise for a day less. The nine day is a lot more without that 125% and and in CAD the price difference is really huge and ends later which is not great for my daughter who needs to work in the summer. . We will just spend an extra day or two in Europe, assuming there is a vaccine or treatment for covid by that time or it is safe

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter