Cancun Prices vs. DI$NEY

tigertides

Mouseketeer
We are pricing out a Spring/Summer 2024 trip to WDW versus an all-inclusive trip to Mexico.

All I can say is: WOW o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

We've been to WDW >10x. I LOVE Disney, and all its magic. We have never done an all-inclusive. We have older kids (age 10 and 13).

All I can say is that via Costco Travel, we can get
  • 4 nights
  • Including Direct Air fare from Major Southeast USA hub city
  • Top ranked Resort in Cancun
  • All Drink and Food included
  • $200-300 Cashback from Costco

• JW Marriot: $4500
  • Hilton $4800
  • Moon Palace: $4900

My question is..... Why don't more people go to Cancun?????? I say this as I notice 2hr wait times during Xmas week at WDW.
Once you have a passport and older kids, why even stand in those lines?

Yes, one could have an "affordable" stay at WDW for 5 days/4 nights... but that would come with alot of sacrifices. Staying off property, packed lunches, etc

But why settle for mediocre food, large crowds, grumpy tweens, etc when the same wonderful family memories could be had at a new novel place... with no lines, luxury service, pristine beaches, and amazing food 3x/day.... and free alcohol!!!!!

We are pricing out a Spring/Summer 2024 trip to WDW versus an all-inclusive trip to Mexico.

We've been to WDW >10x. I LOVE Disney, and all its magic. We have never done an all-inclusive. We have older kids (age 10 and 13).

• 4 nights

• Hilton $4800

My question is..... Why don't more people go to Cancun?????? I say this as I notice 2hr wait times during Xmas week at WDW.

Yes, one could have an "affordable" stay at WDW for 5 days/4 nights... but that would come with alot of sacrifices. Staying off property, packed lunches, etc

But why settle for mediocre food, large crowds, grumpy tweens, etc when the same wonderful family memories could be had at a new novel place... with no lines, luxury service, pristine beaches, and amazing food 3x/day.... and free alcohol!!!!!
DW and I went to Cancun about 10 years ago. I can eat, drink and lay on a beach pretty much indefinitely :D . DW gets bored after about 3 days--she wants a more active vacation. So that's why we've probably done our 1 and only vacation at an all-inclusive.

We like having a ton of stuff to do at WDW. It’s not all about rides for us. We figure out ways to avoid 2 hour lines.

We have places we love for relaxing beach vacation cheaper. A future all inclusive Cancun trip would be something to add if we were in that area doing other things, like visiting Chicxulub Crater and other places in between.

This was my hesitation as well, but there have been ZERO deaths on the resorts as far as I know. No more dangerours than on WDW property. We would NOT be going into town
Not quite true. This year alone just before we went to Cancun in April 4 people were killed in a shooting in the Hotel Zone between two main hotels (for us it was not close to where our hotel was). It was part of a drug cartel shooting which is the predominant issue. Tourists rarely get targeted in terms of that but it is more dangerous than WDW for that alone. Tourists should be keeping themselves alert.

You will see police traveling on the beaches usually in ATVs for the safety of the tourists, you will see helicopters patrolling the beach line. More prevalent during high tourist times. And this was something we saw as well.

In addition you will need to be careful of tap water and water sources in general. Majority of the time you will likely encounter bottled water provided to you and it is not recommended to drink tap water although the Hotel Zone is better than outside of it on this aspect we still opted to drink from the water bottles provided to us by our hotel and brushed our teeth with it.

Cancun isn't itself different from other major cities but it does still mean to be cautious. Not a reason to not go to Cancun but it is not the same atmosphere as WDW, don't be lulled into a sense of security when you should be more alert.

All those people running away is a clear indication I do not want to run to it. Even if I won a full trip for free at the prettiest resort I would not go and there are a great many other places on earth that can added to that list of no go, especially as an American, especially right now.

WDW is expensive, sure, but I know what I am getting, I have access to US medical care and I feel relatively safe.

But why settle for mediocre food, large crowds,
There can be large crowds too in Cancun depending on when you go. The resort you choose may or may not help with isolating this.
pristine beaches, and amazing food 3x/day.... and free alcohol!!!!!
The beaches aren't pristine, many experience issues with sargassum you can check the conditions of this too when you go. The places we stayed at had less sargassum than many other places in the Hotel Zone because of its location but still got some. It is an issue that affects tourism as it's off putting, smelly and makes going into the water difficult to impossible depending on how much it is (it can get up to several feet in height piled up).

Sure the beaches can be nice don't get me wrong but it's pretty easy to search the continual issues they've had too.

The alcohol may be included but you're still expected to tip for the service especially pool and beachside for alcohol, you can choose not to but it's typically still expected. You can check reviews for any of the places you mentioned to see if that's the norm at those places but generally speaking tipping is still what you do for alcohol.

The food isn't all that amazing IMO. It's about the same as Disney TBH. Some things pretty good other things not really. But this is resort-dependent. Ours was a RIU with high enough marks for food but yeah don't expect super super high quality food.

If you go you can take a day trip to do other things around Cancun. We did two excursions through Xcaret one for the main theme park of theirs the other to Chichen Itza and I'd recommend both (they both picked us up at our hotel). We also did a half day trip to Isla Mujeres on our own but rented golf carts (which is really what you do) to get around there.

It's Mexico....not a fan. The beaches are anything but pristine. The drinks and food are fine but nothing spectacular.

You are comparing apples and muffins.

Those are 2 completely different types of vacations.
You are absolutely right. But at the end of the day, both require cash, and most families have to decide on doing one BIG vacation a year.

• 4 nights

• Hilton $4800

Because I'd rather get a root canal than go on vacation in Mexico. But I know that a lot of people really love it!

We vacationed at multiple all inclusive resorts in Mexico years ago. Couldn’t pay me to go there now. Way too dangerous.

Son went to Xcaret a few years ago. Booked everything as a package. His transfer to the resort picked him up, drove him to a random spot - not the resort. He thought he was being kidnapped. Finally some other guy drove up and took them to the resort. Scary situation down there.

We spent a week at the moon palace. Beach isn’t pristine and the food was barely edible. You may be sorely disappointed.

Two completely different vacations.

I would never go to WDW the week between Christmas and New Years. Way too crowded for me.

We average WDW every 18 months or so. In the off years we do cruises, beaches, Grand Canyon, Maine, etc… Those are cheaper than WDW.

I've never been to Cancun, but love Los Cabos. We've stayed at Esperanza a few times and love it. The service is incredible, food is great. No reason to even leave the resort. I've never felt like I was ever in any danger there, but I'm not out and about in the city of Cabo San Lucas which is likely where any pick pocketing would take place. We're looking forward to exploring other parts of Mexico when we're retired.

There are some places I'd avoid in Mexico, but the touristy areas are pretty safe. As others have said, just be alert.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter