• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cancun Prices vs. DI$NEY

If you're looking for a relaxing vaca then an AI is a great option. If you want a bit more to do and feel safer, you could also price out cruises. Personally, we loved cruising and always got a balcony cabin for us with an inside cabin across from us for our three sons. It was the best bang for our buck. The boys had a great time doing anything and I felt like they were in a safe place. We met up for dinner each night we weren't on an excursion. They still talk about those vacations as the best trips.

My cousin was in Cancun recently and got scammed at their luxury, all-inclusive resort by the wait staff. She didn't tell me how much, but found out about it after her return. She took pictures of just outside the resort grounds. I'll just say it didn't look like an area I'd be comfortable walking around.

On the other hand, I enjoy Costa Maya and especially Mahahual. The food, drinks and $30 1-hour massages under the palm trees on the beach are fabulous.
How was she scammed? That's terrible! Scammers are such dirtbags!

There are thousands of great vacation locales, and depending on how you travel, many can be less expensive and more enjoyable than WDW. That’s predominantly why we haven’t been back since 2018.

That said, I have no desire to go to an AI. DH doesn’t drink at all, and I barely do. And if I’m going to sit on a beach for a week, the outer banks is where I’m headed.

But give me national parks for my preferred vacation.

Was in Mexico for Christmas - AI near Playa del Carmen
Hotel, food and service was incredible and Disney needs to take some lessons
The prices and nickel and diming are out of hand - in my opinion the value at Disney is not there anymore
For what it is worth - have been going to Riviera Maya for 21 years and never felt unsafe

Last edited:
Over the past 20 years we have been to AI's all over the Caribbean. My company took us on vacation there every year. We stayed at some of the best resorts in Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Aruba, etc, etc, etc.

I know a Disney vacation would have cost more than every one of these vacations.

If I were paying, I would have paid for a Disney vacation over any of these resorts.

Sure, they are all inclusive, but, for the most part you don't want to eat the food at any of these places. I've spent a week at a time eating nothing but plain white rice and bread.

If you are looking at $$$ only, yeah, head for an all inclusive. If you don't want to settle for just spending the least amount of money you can, go where you want to go with the activities you want.

Over the past 20 years we have been to AI's all over the Caribbean. My company took us on vacation there every year. We stayed at some of the best resorts in Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Aruba, etc, etc, etc.

I know a Disney vacation would have cost more than every one of these vacations.

If I were paying, I would have paid for a Disney vacation over any of these resorts.

Sure, they are all inclusive, but, for the most part you don't want to eat the food at any of these places. I've spent a week at a time eating nothing but plain white rice and bread.

If you are looking at $$$ only, yeah, head for an all inclusive. If you don't want to settle for just spending the least amount of money you can, go where you want to go with the activities you want.
AIs have more to offer than "cheap". Many of them have multiple activities you can take part in if that is more your style or you can just lounge around.

I have to stop myself from over indulging on food, at AIs as well as cruises. I can't imagine going to one for a week and only eating plain white rice and bread. I mean it's not like the food at Disney is sprinkled with fairy dust or something to make it that much better.

Disney has lost its luster with us because of the high prices and the crowds. I can't fault Disney for those because as long as people are paying, why would you NOT raise your rates?

We just booked a summer trip to Mexico. We were specifically looking for a non-Disney trip.

We have stayed at Moon Place 3 times - always on the “Grand” side. It’s more expensive but IMO worth the extra cost. However we have “done” everything there and wanted to go somewhere new. I like all inclusives with kids because if my son wants 5 different drinks at the swim up bar, fine. If my daughter is feeling picky and wants to eat one thing from a buffet, whatever. We can choose to do the evening activities or not depending on how we are feeling.

I don’t know how much I’d recommend going “off property” at the moment (don’t be stupid tourists) and if you are beach people the seaweed problem is definitely real at certain times of the year so better to look elsewhere. Having said that, it’s a really easy trip with a lot more downtime built into it than what we get at Disney. My son can be as active as he wants while my daughter can hang out on her iPad and talk to her friends back home, and we’ll all be ok.

One other thing about Moon Palace…the first and second time we stayed we rented through Costco. It was fine. The last time though we somehow booked through a “member” that we found on eBay. Transaction was great and we were able to get a 2BD suite for cheaper than the hotel was quoting for the family room (2 rooms) plus a lot of extras. I would have happily called her again if we had wanted to go back there. Just something to consider if you end up wanting to go to Moon Palace.

I live in deep South Texas—id rather stay home than go to any trip in Cancun/Cabo/etc. Heck I’m looking at DCL cruises with the plan to stay on the ship at all ports.

We don’t care for all inclusives. The times we have went we’ve booked excursions for almost each day. We aren’t sit by the pool/beach all day, nor are we big drinkers.

Disney is our version of an all inclusive. We arrive onsite and don’t leave property for a week. We don’t get a car and take their transportation. Disney has something to occupy us from the time we wake up until we go to sleep. We think good food.

We aren’t sit by the pool/beach all day, nor are we big drinkers.
We've been to two all-inclusives in two different countries and we never used them to just drink all day. I don't drink any more than I would (which is low to begin with) than if I had to pay for it. Same for when we went on our cruise and all the alcohol was included.

It's just a stereotype that people go to all-inclusives and drink all day or that its the purpose. It's not a box to tick for what you're looking for, at the end of the day you still choose to drink what you want to drink.

I have to stop myself from over indulging on food, at AIs as well as cruises. I can't imagine going to one for a week and only eating plain white rice and bread. I mean it's not like the food at Disney is sprinkled with fairy dust or something to make it that much better.

Yeah, I think I'm used to the additives and preservatives, etc we add here in America to meats and other foodstuffs. It seems I get a 'gamey' taste to all the meats I have eaten in the Caribbean/Mexico. Plus, many of the breakfast/lunch options at these AI's are buffets, and I am SO not a buffet person.

I live in deep South Texas—id rather stay home than go to any trip in Cancun/Cabo/etc. Heck I’m looking at DCL cruises with the plan to stay on the ship at all ports.
I really loved my cruise, I did not love the unsafe feeling of the Bahamas port so good call, if I ever get back on a cruise I would do the same.

I went to Cancun a few times in the past, stayed at either the JW Marriott or the Ritz Carlton and really enjoyed it. I believe the Ritz Carlton was sold and operates under Grand Hotel Cancun. That being said, I would not go back to Mexico. I'm sure it is safe, but it would make me uneasy. If you do go take a tour of Chichen Itza.

All-inclusives get boring after a few days to me. There's only so much time I can spend on the beach or by the pool, and excursions around that area significantly increase the cost of a trip. I'm also not going to say all the food is poor, but they generally aren't putting out the highest quality at these all inclusives.

For that kind of money, you could also fly to Florida and spend a week at a normal hotel by the beach. But that also wouldn't have the attractions and shows you get at WDW. You could also fly to Montana and go camping for a month. I hate this question of "Why would you go to X when you can do Y for the same or less?" Because that's what I wanted to do.

luxury service, pristine beaches, and amazing food 3x/day.... and free alcohol!!!!!
Those things are debatable.

As for the free alcohol-it's probably not the alcohol I would prefer to drink.

Cancun just doesn't interest me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter