Canon 450D (Rebel XSi, Kiss X2)

What's the best DSLR?

• Olympus E-510

• Cannon Rebel XSi

• Nikon D90

• Wait for the Olympus 620

• Something completely different (please elaborate)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Definitely not in the 1000's! Up to five hundred is what I was thinking. Like I said, I'm not a pro but I do want to be able to take better pictures when standing on the opposite side of the field.

Then perhaps the Canon 55-250IS or Canon 70-300IS is for you - both have the range for sports (200mm to 300mm), they have "IS" image stabilization and they are reasonably priced.

here's a soccer pic with the Canon 55-250IS and Canon XSi (450D)

5094738512_36a2d67e79_z.jpg

you can get the Canon 55-250IS at Adorama for $199 !

The games are mostly day but would still like one that is good for night, especially for when we are at WDW. Thank you for the suggestions!

If you are looking for a lowlight lens, you will need faster glass (large aperture). The all-in-one super zooms are relatively slow so you will probably have problems with low light action shots. Stills would not be a problem. With large aperture lenses comes an increase in cost. To stay within your budget, you will probably have to make a compromise. From all the lenses recommended, I would look at the 70-200 f4. Its not an f2.8 but would work better than a super zoom.

If you can go to $600 or so the 70-200 f/4 is probably the best you can get for anywhere near the price. We have that lens and a 55-250 and while the 55-250 is good for it's price it is down to f/5.6 at the long end.

Focusing speed is much faster with the L series and the front does not rotate, making polarizer use much easier. For any lens this long a monopod or tripod will help a lot in lower light.

And with the L series Canon throws in the (large) hood for "free"! ;)

I have both the the 70-200mm F4L and the 70-300 IS. Both are fine lenses. For shooting sports with your camera, I'd recommend the 70-300IS. If you're shooting more artistic subjects, you can't beat "L" glass. I don't think you can go wrong with either. Good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter