Canon S5

I have this same camera too. I have gotten some pretty decent shots with it but I mostly shoot my kids playing outside. I am really concerned about taking pictures of the nightime parades. I can get fairly decent fireworks pics (and have a small tri-pod to use) but what is there in normal everyday life to "practice" shooting a situation similar to the nighttime parades or the dark rides?

I have this same camera too. I have gotten some pretty decent shots with it but I mostly shoot my kids playing outside. I am really concerned about taking pictures of the nightime parades. I can get fairly decent fireworks pics (and have a small tri-pod to use) but what is there in normal everyday life to "practice" shooting a situation similar to the nighttime parades or the dark rides?

pics of night time parades will be difficult with the Canon S5, your best bet is to use manual mode at f2.8 and ISO 1600 and then vary the shutter for the best results
For tips and techniques join the Canon S5 Flickr group -
http://www.flickr.com/groups/canonpowershots5is

For nighttime parade photos, I cheat. I use my tripod as a monopod, and I use the flash. Here a couple, completely unedited. ISO 400, f/2.8, 1/40s with flash.
Certainly, they are not as nice as the ones with SLR's with high ISO, but I'm satisfied. My biggest problem is taking the picture, just at the right time to have the shot framed as I want. It does take a long time for the flash to recharge, so you can pretty much get one zoomed photo of a float, and one close photo and that's it. I find it easier to zoom in a little, and take it when it is slightly farther away. If I wait until its too close, it tends to get more blurry. But you have to wait until it gets close enough for the flash to work. It's a learning process. These are taken in front of the Christmas shop in Liberty Square, in case someone else wants to get floats with the Castle. :goodvibes

IMG_5818.jpg

IMG_5812.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter