Canon S5

So what you are saying is food pictures take a bit of time and I'll be lucky if I get any before my family snarfs it all down

No, not really. You only need to take the extra special care (tripod, and longer exposures) with the dark dinners. The others, you should be able to take hand-held at 1/30 to 1/80, IMO

I think I'm getting this down! Thanks so much for the help and for the link to the other thread. That is very helpful! I'm pretty new at a "nice" camera and it can be very confusing.

Here are some food/restaurant pics I shot with my S3. All were handheld - very still. (White balance is off on a couple of them. :scared: )

IMG_6920_f.jpg

IMG_7834_f.jpg

(Photo contest winner.)

IMG_0904_f.jpg

IMG_9962_e-1.jpg

IMG_6415_e.jpg

Valentines.jpg

Wow, great photos! I've been reading up on the other thread, so I'm feeling better about trying out different settings in different lighting, for fireworks, food, etc. I'm also going to get a gorillapod this weekend, too

Just wondering if anyone has used this camera at Disney. We are taking our first trip in November and i have only used it for concerts (the reason i bought it) and kid pics......

Any pointers on getting great shots at Disney and/or the fireworks???

Do i need to program a special setting like i did for my concert shots??

Should i use my high speed memory card or a regular one??

Sorry i am not camera smart and bought this one with the recommendation of others for live music shows and dont have alot of photography experience but am extremely happy with it so far.

Or would i be better taking an easy Kodak 10 mp with a 5x zoom???

Just wondering if anyone has used this camera at Disney. We are taking our first trip in November and i have only used it for concerts (the reason i bought it) and kid pics......

Any pointers on getting great shots at Disney and/or the fireworks???

Do i need to program a special setting like i did for my concert shots??

Should i use my high speed memory card or a regular one??

Sorry i am not camera smart and bought this one with the recommendation of others for live music shows and dont have alot of photography experience but am extremely happy with it so far.

Or would i be better taking an easy Kodak 10 mp with a 5x zoom???

I used the S3 IS twice at disney. It's a very capable camera. I would highly recommend learning how to read a histogram and utilizing it to judge the shots you take. It would also be beneficial to be more comfortable with M, Av, and Tv modes.

For fireworks I would recommend using M mode. You'll need a tripod or very steady surface. Set the camera's Fstop to a mid setting around F4(this is where familiarizing yourself with M mode helps). Then set ISO low(80 or 100) and adjust the shutter speed until the fireworks are exposed well.

I used the S3 IS twice at disney. It's a very capable camera. I would highly recommend learning how to read a histogram and utilizing it to judge the shots you take. It would also be beneficial to be more comfortable with M, Av, and Tv modes.

For fireworks I would recommend using M mode. You'll need a tripod or very steady surface. Set the camera's Fstop to a mid setting around F4(this is where familiarizing yourself with M mode helps). Then set ISO low(80 or 100) and adjust the shutter speed until the fireworks are exposed well.

Thanks but can you point a camera dummy to the right place to learn all this terminology and what it means???? Then i can print this and have an idea where to start....

Thanks but can you point a camera dummy to the right place to learn all this terminology and what it means???? Then i can print this and have an idea where to start....

The internet is full of resources explaining the terminology. Here are a few that look pretty good to me:

http://www.geofflawrence.com/photography_tutorial_shutter_speeds_and_apertures.php

http://digital-photography-school.com/aperture-and-shutter-priority-modes

http://www.aguntherphotography.com/tutorials/the-correct-exposure-part-1-shutter-aperture-iso.html

And I need a replacement...yesterday!!! I am leaving on Wednesday morning to attend Marine Boot Camp Graduation, Parris Island and the week after I return my daughter is getting married. I can not imagine attending either one of these events without a camera.:scared1:

I had the Canon A620 and decided that I REALLY liked to take pictures got the S5 which I must say I am totally in love with, I got it in hoped of adding flash and lenses etc.. before making the DSLR leap, now I have nothing.

Any suggestions on what would be a good replacement? It would be something that I would need to purchase within the next 48 hours.

I appreciate any and all advice
Thanks

While I don't know a whole lot about Canon's (I'm sure someone smarter than me will come along) one option might be to just rent a body and have it over-nighted to you and that way you get a camera for your events and you get to try one out. :confused3

Closest cams now would be the SX1, SX10 or SX20 depending on what features you want. If you don't care about HD video the SX10 would be the closest. There is also a panasonic competitor but I'd have to look up the model # on that.

I assume you need the zoom for these events?

yes, zoom would be needed for these events. I know that the SX20 is brand new to the market and I have heard that they upgraded the pixels by 2 on the same sensor, is this a bad thing? :confused3Have you heard if the SX20 is better or worse then the SX10?
I LOVE the swivel screen on the S5 and occassionly take video, Imagine that I would take LOTS at graduation and wedding.
Does anyone know about adding filters and or lenses to either the SX10 or SX20, I have not looked at the SX1 yet. Guess I better hurry!!!
Thanks for all the imput...keep it coming

The only "lens" you'd be able to add to the S5 was a tele-converter for a 2x magnification. You could use all sorts of 58mm filters. The same applies to any of the new Canon cameras you are looking at.

Here's a link to compart the various Canon point and shoot ultra-zooms:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ProductCatIndexAct&fcategoryid=113

If you could swing it, and since you like the video portion, the SX 1 has full HD video. I'd suggest that as a good replacement.

lens error restart camera message - is this fixable?

right before Tebow's last game in the Swamp!!!!!!!!!!UUUUGGGGGGGGGH!!!!!!

Have you tried taking the batteries out and putting them back in? Seems like my S3 did this once a long time ago but I can't remember for sure.

Misery loves company, so here's a link to a S5 user community, some of whom have had the same problem.

Is the lens stuck in the extended position?

We had this error - word for word - on a Sony Cybershot about 3 years ago. After a long runaround with Sony, repaired under warranty, then happened again. Another shorter runaround, then repaired under warranty, then happened again. An even shorter runaround, then replaced under warranty, I don't think it's happened since.

When it happened first, we googled the error message, and found it appeared on many makes & models. The quick fix was to slap the camera so that the LCD hit the palm of your hand. Usually by three slaps the lens would retract.

Canons may be different, so I'd verify this, but don't be suprised if someone asks you to smack it against your palm.

Sony service reps actually suggested we continue to do that as a long term solution.

hmm, I have no clue if it is under warranty....but I am thinking of heading in to best buy or something to see what they say.

Unless you bought it at Best Buy and bought the extended warranty, they are very unlikely going to look at it. They typically only cover things in store for about 30 days. You will probably need to send it in to Canon to be evaluated. The standard warranty is one year.

Lens errors are unfortunately a common thing on retractable lenses. All it takes sometimes is a piece of sand or something to jam it up. It often costs more to fix than to buy new. They do often offer a discounted upgrade option for you though. If they do not offer it, it does not hurt to ask.

My S5 Died a few of months :sad1:ago and was at a time that I simply COULD NOT be without a camera and I ended up getting the SX10is. I know that the SX20 is the newest model but I ended up being able to score the sx10 for a decent price

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter