• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Car at SSR

PoohHappens

DIS Veteran
We will be staying at SSR in October 2021. We usually use all Disney Transportation and different party members may go to theme park at different times due to some not so early risers. We will often take an afternoon break to the resort. We will have 6-7 park days available. We ended up renting a car to get a significant room discount (I know it doesn't make sense). What are things we would be better off using the car for since we have it? When would it be a hindrance to use the car? Any information would be greatly appreciated and helpful.

Don’t take the car to Magic Kingdom. If you’re trying to get to rope drop or reasonably early, I would definitely take the car to the other parks. Walk to Disney Springs. You can also use the car to make a grocery run to Publix.

If you follow the rule that the first party leaving to a park takes the car, and the first people heading back to take a break takes it back, you’re not bad off. I would probably drive the car back later as well (except to MK).

Bruce

We will be staying at SSR in October 2021. We usually use all Disney Transportation and different party members may go to theme park at different times due to some not so early risers. We will often take an afternoon break to the resort. We will have 6-7 park days available. We ended up renting a car to get a significant room discount (I know it doesn't make sense). What are things we would be better off using the car for since we have it? When would it be a hindrance to use the car? Any information would be greatly appreciated and helpful.
Lol, the first thing I was going to say is, don’t take the car to MK! Otherwise we like driving to the parks because we feel we can be on our own schedule. It’s especially great when we have ADRs at the resorts, since it makes getting back “home” much easier. And as PP says, grocery runs are easier, not to mention that we like to eat offsite sometimes.

Thank you so much. I’m glad I asked, I don’t think I realized it would be considered that much more efficient to drive to the parks. My daughter and I will frequently be up earlier and head to a park to knock out the “big” rides. The other two will probably head over a couple hours later. So I think you are suggesting I drive over in AM, then others take bus, for afternoon break we all drive back and then use car again in evening? Except the Magic Kingdom. I also was wondering about parking fees. Is it per night at the resort or day. We are 7 nights. Do we also have to pay at parks?

We drive everywhere at WDW, even to MK sometimes. I hate the busses that much, haha. I also really like the Ferry ride. Depending on what section you get at SSR, you may drive there too when going to Disney Springs. If we are eating on the West Side, we will typically drive over and park on the surface lots by Cirque. We will also drive and park somewhere in Congress Park if we are in one of the far away sections and then use the walking path from there.

Thank you all! Everyone is so helpful. I am really excited for our trip- those of you who are SSR fans seem to really love the resort. I think we will enjoy a quiet retreat from the parks.

I drive to get groceries, get some off resort meals. I train at a gym in kissimmee called kissimmee muscle. I drive to parks or other resorts for meals

Like many others, I drive everywhere not named Magic Kingdom. I also would skip the car if we didn't have a designated driver identified, but I'm now my family's permanent DD, so that's no longer an issue!

I might even drive to MK returning from an afternoon break to take the ferry back and forth on a good weather day, but only if we are not in a hurry to do anything in particular.

Having a car makes a lot of things possible that are harder without one. For example, if you want to have dinner at a different resort it's trivial with a car, but can be a real hassle with Disney transport depending on where you are trying to go.

Having a car makes a lot of things possible that are harder without one. For example, if you want to have dinner at a different resort it's trivial with a car, but can be a real hassle with Disney transport depending on where you are trying to go.

Normally true, but from SSR one could walk to the DS bus terminal and take a bus to any resort. It might be a bit of a hike, depending on which section one is, but it's an option.

Po
Normally true, but from SSR one could walk to the DS bus terminal and take a bus to any resort. It might be a bit of a hike, depending on which section one is, but it's an option.
Possible, but still quite a hassle considering any Disney resort, plus many offsite options are only a 5-8 minute drive at most. You are still looking at least an 45 min to hour walk/transportation time each way with that option.

Thanks again everyone, lots of great information. I am actually a little excited about having the option now. Do I have to have some kind of parking pass in the car or something?

Thanks again everyone, lots of great information. I am actually a little excited about having the option now. Do I have to have some kind of parking pass in the car or something?
No, when you first arrive at SSR to check in you'll need to give your name and a photo ID to the guard. After that, you can use your MB or key card to open the gate.

I think it’s worth pointing out that apparently they are letting people arriving on Disney transportation into the parks before they open the parking lots. So if you’re trying to rope drop apparently it is currently be best to get on the first bus, regardless of where you are going.

We’re not going until the end of June, and the OP said October, so things will likely change. OTOH they said they would be letting resort guests into all parks 30 minutes early, and it’s possible the plan is simply to use transportation to schedule that.

Relevant thread: https://www.disboards.com/threads/everything-rope-drop.3828303/

Bruce

I always rent a car but never drive to the parks. We just get up early and take the early bus. I can't stand driving into crowded areas like the parking lots which you have to get back to to get home. We use the car for grocery shopping (even buying soda at Walgreens saves a ton of money compared to the prices at Disney) and we usually eat off Disney. Food is usually better and the prices much lower. When the kids were young we did casual like Giordanos for pizza and Cheescake Factory (there is a new one in Lake Buena Vista) We went recently but went to higher end restaurants. You can also take a break from the parks and go shopping at the outlets if you need anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter