Car Rental + Parking $808! Need suggestions

Julia M

DIS Veteran<br><font color =red>not clever, not wi
We are booked for 8 nights in Oahu in April. Three nights in Waikiki and the remaining 5 nights at Aulani. Arriving Friday about 1:30 pm and departing on Saturday about 12:30. There are two of us. Our plans are sightseeing Friday late afternoon through Monday....Pearl Harbor, Kualoa Ranch, the North Shore. Then at Aulani, relaxing, primarily using the car to drive out to dinner nearby, probably a quick trip to the Dole Plantation.

I am kind of stunned.....car rental currently $468 (through Costco) and parking at the Sheraton and then Aulani is $340. Is this typical? When I tried to reduce costs a bit (ie, taking a shuttle or cab into town and renting locally, which would also help to to reduce the parking fees) it didn't really work. I might save on a day or two of parking, but the shuttle or Uber fees made up for it. I also wasted time.

Is this typical for Hawaii and I should just "suck it up, buttercup"? While the price seems high to me, we can afford it. I just don't like to waste money.

I've considered Turo.....has anyone used them? Of course, I'll keep checking to see of my rate goes down.
How is Uber? That would maybe work, except for getting to Kualoa Ranch and driving around the North Shore (both all day trips)

Thanks

From what I've seen the last two time visiting Hawaii that's typical. How did you book Aulani? If you are DVC (or rented points) the parking fee is waived.

Maybe renting a car just for the day would be more cost effective?

How did you book Aulani? If you are DVC (or rented points) the parking fee is waived.
Just to clarify, anyone staying on points receives free parking at Aulani. That goes for DVC owners staying on points or individuals who have rented points for their stay. DVC owners staying on a cash reservation would not receive free parking.

OP, if you are not staying at Aulani on points, parking is $37 a day so it does add up. I would imagine Waikiki parking is about that price, if not more, due to the parking demand and complexities there. We also spent 3 nights in Waikiki and 6 nights at Aulani, and opted not to pick up our rental car until we were starting the Aulani portion of our trip. IMO, a car is not needed in Waikiki - taxis and Uber are abound, so much is in walking distance, and the trolley is easy to use as well. There are also tons of tour operators that provide transportation from Waikiki, so we took advantage of this by doing Pearl Harbor and Diamond Head as tours. We also knew we didn't want to navigate the parking challenges, costs, and traffic of Waikiki when we likely wouldn't need the car during that point, so we planned accordingly. Worked out well and I'd do it the same way next time. Worth pricing out what dropping those days of the car and parking would look like versus adding on two Uber rides (from airport to Waikiki, from Waikiki to car rental office). I'd also add that it would be best to do airport car rental so you don't pay a fee for a different drop off location when you return it on your way back.

Uber is more regular on the island now than when we were there, but Kualoa Ranch is at least a 70+ minute drive. More if you hit traffic. It also gives you less flexibility in the North Shore - we stopped off a few places that piqued our interest. FWIW, we hate renting cars on vacation but found it to be a must do in Hawaii.

Parking prices in Waikiki and Aulani are stupidly high. $37 a day at Aulani, and easily $40 in Waikiki. I would try to reduce it at Aulani if you can, use ridesharing to get to local restaurants.

Here was what we did for our most recent trip (5 nights Waikiki, 3 nights Aulani):
-Got rental car from Hertz at airport. $210 for 5 days in a convertible.
-We stayed at the Courtyard on Kuhio. There is a parking garage a few blocks away under King Kalakaua Plaza. $24 for 12-24 hours. Only weakness of this lot is it's only open 6am-10pm and there are no in/out privileges.
-If we came back to the hotel for something quick we would either circle the block, park at a meter, or park at Waikiki Shopping Plaza. Waikiki shopping plaza is $5 for up to 5 hours but only during business hours.
-The day we checked in to Aulani we first made a Target run for drinks/snacks, then dropped off our bags at Aulani. We then returned the rental car and took an Uber to Aulani ($42 each way plus tip).

Total cost = ~$425

Rental prices in Hawaii remind me of parking prices in San Francisco. You gotta pay to play. I found a website that gets you a rental with no pre-pay and no cancelation penalties. Prices are lower than direct from the rental companies. I keep checking and they fluctuate all day. We are going at the end of April for 6 days. Can't beat the price for the flight.

Many of the Waikiki properties charge a resort fee and then a parking fee on top.

Looks like Sheraton is $36 resort fee plus $35 parking per day before taxes. (watch out as they quote this before tax).
So that's $71 per day.

There are some hotels where the parking fee is part of the resort fee so you might save a little per day, which can add up.
Prince Waikiki as an example charges $37 resort fee per day before taxes and this includes parking. So you can save $34 per day before taxes vs Sheraton.

Or to save even more, there's Hyatt Place which doesn't have a resort fee and charges maybe $12 for parking a day.
Or you go and rent a timeshare and most likely you won't need to pay for parking.

We are staying in Waikiki 6 nights before we move to Aulani for 5 nights. We are not renting a car until we head to Aulani. We will use public transportation (trolley, bus) and Uber in Waikiki. We are staying on our points at Aulani so there is not charge for parking. Rental car for the whole trip plus parking in Waikiki would be $740. By only renting while at Aulani, it’s $220.

I agree, you can get around Waikiki fairly easily with public transportation (or Uber/Lyft/taxi if you prefer). Only when you get to Aulani, will you need it. You would likely need it when you move your stuff (unless you can find an Uber XL) and then maybe rent it at Aulani? I think there's an Alamo car care center near there (I believe Alamo is a preferred Disney vendor?)

Aulani rental cars are quite expensive. Be sure to compare rates vs airport as you can likely get 2 days for the price of 1 at Aulani.

Personally, we used Waikiki as our launching pad to explore the island and enjoyed Aulani as a resort destination. We didn't see the point of staying at Aulani if we weren't enjoying the facilities during the day. Different approaches I guess.

If you plan to stay in Waikiki and not venture out when you are in Waikiki... or if you are doing tours/adventures that pick you up at your hotel, then yes... getting public transportation or ride shares can be cost saving.
However, if you plan to use Waikiki as a base to do more exploring around the island on your own, then a rental might be better.

This is typical of most cities. That car rate is not really that bad and most hotels in bigger cities have parking fees. Ever stay in Chicago? I just see this as cost of a vacation and budget accordingly. You will be happy to have the car, there is so many things to see and even just driving around is so pretty. Plus you can go and get some food instead of just eating at the resort, that will save you money. Have fun.

Honestly, you have to budget for a car. I just can’t imagine going to Hawaii and not having a car. Even if you are at Aulani, you may need to venture out for a day or two. There is not a lot to do just staying put at the resort after 2-3 days. Better off exploring the island and having the flexibility to do so which a car will provide.

Check if any discounts are available through your place of work or other sources.

Enterprise gives me a government discount due to work otherwise I would be looking at about $560 for 5 days , vs the $267 I'll be paying instead.
Thankfully I'm booked on points for Aulani so won't have the excess charges.
But parking and resort fees are pretty normal range for resort areas , SF can be almost $80 a night for some hotels. I would research how much a vehicle is needed for your specific area and needs.

I’ve just succumbed to the prices cause we have kids and like to explore. We are doing the Sheraton Waikiki and will self park and hope 5 nights there isn’t too bad for parking. We have 2 little ones and rented a minivan since it was cheaper than an SUV. With the spouses 4-5 breakfast trips to boots and kimos, felt the rental car was necessary. Good luck and hope we wave to each other at the Sheraton.

We normally get a car but I have to ask... do you need a car? If you're going to stay in Waikiki when you're there, you might be able to skip it and taxi from the airport. A number of the tourist sites run buses from Waikiki to their places. If there's a place(s) you want to go without a bus, you might save $ on a one day rental. Same thing at Aulani, if you're just staying at the resort, no reason to pay for parking if you're not using the car or a one day rental if you want to have a day when you run somewhere else.

Don't forget gas is pretty expensive too when doing your budget!

Just a thought!

Get Gas at Costco if you have membership. Costco gas stations in Oahu are like 3.15 right now which is about the same as major California cities if not better.
So depends on where you are coming from.

Long time lurker, first time poster here. Rent your car through Lucky Owl Car Rental. I'm spending 6 nights on Oahu next month and my rental is going to cost $220. That is literally HALF the Costco rate. I couldn't believe it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter