Car Rentals in May

Just checked my rental rate again with alamo - Standard 5/10 -5/15 using the same ID and coupon code everyone is using...it dropped again!! Just went from $79 to $71! Can I hear $65???
Debbie

Mine went up a few dollars May 11-17 midsize... I got it down to $66.59 last night from $70.65

Today it's showing as $69.57. I'm super happy with $66 but I'd still be excited to see it go down more!

I just checked Alamo and my rates for a midsize is down to $80.13, 5/29-6/4 ( pick-up at 10am drop-off at 6pm ).
And for a compact $65.00 incl all taxes and fees ( the fees are more than the car).
:cool1:

Switching from the Amex/Costco ID (7015309) back to the Insider's ID (7015820) this morning with the $40 insider coupon (AD4027JDO) dropped our rate from $88.19 to $84.20 for a midsize at MCO for a week plus four hours from May 21-28.

I am going for 11 days. From May 11 to May 22. I read a tip to book a compact and if offered an upgrade at a small price to decline. Usually the compacts are sold out and you will get a free upgrade..but I diverse.

I started with a "deal" with enterprise, signed up for the free membership and got the 11 days copact for 238.00 with taxes.

Then I went via travelocity and I was able to get the same compact with enterprise for 183.76. So I cancelled the direct reservation with Enterprise and went via travelocity..

I could bump it down another 9.5 with a deal from hotwire, but would rather stay with Enterprise because by signing up I got a free upgrade coupon. So thats 16.70 per day for a mid size with tax included. However, still have to deal with the insurance. :cool2:

Hey everyone,
AMEX has a 50% off discount (up to $150.00 - plus 10% addt'l if you have an Amex card) but it is only today and it may go fast so YMMV. Hopefully it'll save you some $$$. Basically you are buying a $50 gift card for $25 dollars. But limit is 3 (thus up to $150 value). So I just paid ~$67 for $150 gift card to use at pickup at Alamo. Not a bad deal.

I apparently don't have enough posts so I am not allowed to post the url (grrr, silly rule) but google american express, daily giveaways, discover america and it'll come right up - I think the 3rd one down. You'll see.

Hey everyone,
AMEX has a 50% off discount (up to $150.00 - plus 10% addt'l if you have an Amex card) but it is only today and it may go fast so YMMV. Hopefully it'll save you some $$$. Basically you are buying a $50 gift card for $25 dollars. But limit is 3 (thus up to $150 value). So I just paid ~$67 for $150 gift card to use at pickup at Alamo. Not a bad deal.

I apparently don't have enough posts so I am not allowed to post the url (grrr, silly rule) but google american express, daily giveaways, discover america and it'll come right up - I think the 3rd one down. You'll see.

You need to read the fine print on these deals, and I direct everyone's attention to two specific terms and conditions:

1. It cannot be used with any other discount code or coupon.

2. The certificate can only be applied to the base rate, not the taxes, fees, surcharges.

For example, the midsize that I have booked for a week and four hours at MCO from May 21-28 is for a total rate of $84.20, consisting of a rental rate of $40.28 and $43.92 of taxes and fees.

Using the Amex certificates for the same periods, the base rate is $100.35 and the taxes and fees are $54.21 for a total of $154.56. So, I would be paying $50 for the two Amex certificates to cover the $100 of the base rental rate, and the extra $0.35 plus the $54.21 in taxes and fees would have to be paid out of pocket, for a total out-of-pocket rental cost of $104.56.

The Alamo Insider's discount, plus the current promotional codes (for Insiders or Amex/Costco card holders) plus the current $25-40 off coupons will give you a much better deal than the certificates.

Yet another consumer unfriendly offerring from Discover America (I am referring to their Sea World ticket promotion a few weeks ago that was a disaster for most).

$122.55 Total Alamo Insiders code 7015820 & coupon AD4027JDO for a minivan 5/14-5/21. Down from $144.33 2 days ago.:cool1:

I'm glad that your way worked for you. I have a larger family so I have to rent a minivan with a higher base rate. Plus they said that we can't use it with coupons (like Entertainment Guide) but can use our rate codes to bring down the cost. So, for us, it worked great. As I said, YMMV. I hope someone else might have found it useful.

You need to read the fine print on these deals, and I direct everyone's attention to two specific terms and conditions:

1. It cannot be used with any other discount code or coupon.

2. The certificate can only be applied to the base rate, not the taxes, fees, surcharges.

For example, the midsize that I have booked for a week and four hours at MCO from May 21-28 is for a total rate of $84.20, consisting of a rental rate of $40.28 and $43.92 of taxes and fees.

Using the Amex certificates for the same periods, the base rate is $100.35 and the taxes and fees are $54.21 for a total of $154.56. So, I would be paying $50 for the two Amex certificates to cover the $100 of the base rental rate, and the extra $0.35 plus the $54.21 in taxes and fees would have to be paid out of pocket, for a total out-of-pocket rental cost of $104.56.

The Alamo Insider's discount, plus the current promotional codes (for Insiders or Amex/Costco card holders) plus the current $25-40 off coupons will give you a much better deal than the certificates.

Yet another consumer unfriendly offerring from Discover America (I am referring to their Sea World ticket promotion a few weeks ago that was a disaster for most).

Just checked Alamo & my rental for a full size is down to $66.91 for 5/14 - 5/21... I can't believe how low this rate is going! Every time I modify my reservation I think... "it can't get any lower than THIS!", and so far I have been WRONG, and happy to be so!!! Thank you all for your helpful information!!! :yay:

How low can ya go?!!

Now I'm at 9 days in a mid-size for $98.91! In almost 15 years of renting cars I don't think I've ever seen deals this good.

I'm glad that your way worked for you. I have a larger family so I have to rent a minivan with a higher base rate. Plus they said that we can't use it with coupons (like Entertainment Guide) but can use our rate codes to bring down the cost. So, for us, it worked great. As I said, YMMV. I hope someone else might have found it useful.

Very good point. Didn't mean to be a negative nellie, just wanted to make sure people understood those conditions, which I learned the hard way using an Amex certificate two years ago. With a much higher base rate, especially after the current coupons expire June 4, the certificates may work out and I'm glad they did for you! :goodvibes

$122.55 Total Alamo Insiders code 7015820 & coupon AD4027JDO for a minivan 5/14-5/21. Down from $144.33 2 days ago.:cool1:

That is really a great price, the best I can get for my dates 5/21-5/28 is $196.85

When you all modify your reservation to check for new rates, how do you go about it? My fear is that I'll log into my reservation and check for new rates and then lose my current rate! I'm not sure if I'm explaining myself right, but I don't want to accidentally lose my rate and end up with a more expensive one!

When you all modify your reservation to check for new rates, how do you go about it? My fear is that I'll log into my reservation and check for new rates and then lose my current rate! I'm not sure if I'm explaining myself right, but I don't want to accidentally lose my rate and end up with a more expensive one!

when you go in to modify, it will show you the current reservation price and the modified price side by side, then you can choose "keep my original reservation" or "keep modified reservation". If the original reservation is better just select "keep my original reservation" or just back out of that screen. Easy!

can't believe the rates this year. started at approx. $350 for may 14-22 (minivan) and just got it down to $159.81 for the same time period using the insider code and coupon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter