Cardboard Disney Gift Cards

stout

Mouseketeer
I just bought some Disney gift cards from Sam’s (3x$25). They were in 100th packaging. The cards are made of cardboard, not plastic. I tried to peel the sticker off instead of scratching it (that works on the plastic ones) but fragments of the account numbers pealed off too. We were able to eventually figure it out by putting the pealed part on another piece of paper, scratching it off and lining up the number fragments. If you buy these cards, don’t make the mistake I did!

I've noticed a lot of companies are going to cardboard gift cards. I've bought McDonalds and Starbucks ones recently that were cardboard.

I had the same problem. I called the number on the back of the gift card. The woman who answered was like I have no idea why they make the cardboard ones this happens all the time. I gave her the number on the card (not behind the sticker) she looked it up verified it was not used and transferred it to another gift card I had. It took less than 10 minutes and she was fantastic but I felt bad they deal with this all the time.

Thanks for this! I typically peel as well. I am just beginning to plan our next Disney trip and gift cards are part of the saving strategy!

I just bought some Disney gift cards from Sam’s (3x$25). They were in 100th packaging. The cards are made of cardboard, not plastic. I tried to peel the sticker off instead of scratching it (that works on the plastic ones) but fragments of the account numbers pealed off too. We were able to eventually figure it out by putting the pealed part on another piece of paper, scratching it off and lining up the number fragments. If you buy these cards, don’t make the mistake I did!
I had the same experience today with a $100 card from Target, only the letter fragments weren't enough to reconstruct the numbers. I've sent a message to Disney via the Gift Card website; will report any response they give.
I also strongly suggested they return to the plastic cards. These are so tacky!

I had the same experience today with a $100 card from Target, only the letter fragments weren't enough to reconstruct the numbers. I've sent a message to Disney via the Gift Card website; will report any response they give.
I also strongly suggested they return to the plastic cards. These are so tacky!

A couple years ago we had the same issue with a Roblox as well as an Amazon GC. All it took was a call to both of them with as much info from the card as possible and we got it straightened out. Should be easy enough for Disney I would imagine.

Oh wow! Thanks for posting this @stout! I've noticed a gradual transition to cardboard gc lately and I dislike them! I'll certainly be very cautious!

Bought 5 gift cards yesterday, they were all paper, and the first one I peeled the sticker off and numbers disappeared. Called the number on the back of the card and they said I had to email guest services. Compared the missing numbers to the other cards and noticed a sequence. Was able to figure out the missing numbers and add to gift card website. Transferred all balances to my plastic card. Wonder if plastic cards are still sold in parks and online?

I bought two $200 cards at Sam's last month. I went to enter them into my Disney gift card account. Same issue. Whole section of numbers just peeled off the card. I can not read anything. Does anyone know if they work when you swipe them at the parks?? If not I will have to call member services number on card.

I wonder if the switch to paper is trying to combat all the gift cards scam theft. If numbers are peeling off a scammer won't be able to access number to then re-glue them and place back in store for consumers to buy and activate. I agree they aren't as nice but as long as you scratch and don't peel I guess you're good?

I wonder if the switch to paper is trying to combat all the gift cards scam theft. If numbers are peeling off a scammer won't be able to access number to then re-glue them and place back in store for consumers to buy and activate. I agree they aren't as nice but as long as you scratch and don't peel I guess you're good?
I doubt there are enough scammers and loss of money out there to make a change for that reason alone worth it. It's most likely a cost savings measure as the paper is probably a lot more cheaper then plastic cards. But if it helps to deter scammers that's just a plus.

Curiosity got me on these paperboard cards and seems it's been a push for environmental reasons. Plastic gift cards are made of PVC which is very hard to recycle locally and hazardous to produce. I think that's pretty interesting, and makes me feel better knowing I've been reloading the same card for going on a decade now, lol.

I am going to try to avoid these cardboard cards at all cost.
Had to pick up a couple DGC's at Target 2 weeks ago. I grabbed the last 2 plastic GC's they had. Going to make sure I hold onto them and keep reloading.

Curiosity got me on these paperboard cards and seems it's been a push for environmental reasons. Plastic gift cards are made of PVC which is very hard to recycle locally and hazardous to produce. I think that's pretty interesting, and makes me feel better knowing I've been reloading the same card for going on a decade now, lol.
I'm betting the paper are also a lot cheaper to produce. But they will lead with environmental benefits to make everyone feel warm and fuzzy :)

It looks like the plastic ones are being phased out and most of the Target cards I find now are cardboard. I guess I will just start ordering the e-cards off of the Target website.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter