Cardboard Disney Gift Cards

I am a bit confused. So the new cardboard GC is not scratch-off any more?

LAX

LAX
LAX - It is a peel-off situation, just like the plastic cards, but if you are not careful, the numbers peel off as well and are unreadable.

LAX
I just picked up some gift cards at Sam’s a few days ago. Most were still the plastic ones but there were two that were the paper/cardboard. You can scratch off the silver area to reveal the numbers. I peeled off the ones on the plastic cards but thanks to this thread, I knew to scratch the paper ones instead of trying to peel off the label.

I just picked up some gift cards at Sam’s a few days ago. Most were still the plastic ones but there were two that were the paper/cardboard. You can scratch off the silver area to reveal the numbers. I peeled off the ones on the plastic cards but thanks to this thread, I knew to scratch the paper ones instead of trying to peel off the label.
How much savings at Sam's?

How much savings at Sam's?
We always get the $25 cards for $23.98 because they are the best deal overall. They also have the following…
$50 for $47.98
3 $50 cards for $144.98
3 $25 cards for $71.98
$500 for $484.98

I just bought some Disney gift cards from Sam’s (3x$25). They were in 100th packaging. The cards are made of cardboard, not plastic. I tried to peel the sticker off instead of scratching it (that works on the plastic ones) but fragments of the account numbers pealed off too. We were able to eventually figure it out by putting the pealed part on another piece of paper, scratching it off and lining up the number fragments. If you buy these cards, don’t make the mistake I did!
I agree

Hi friends! The same thing happened to me as the OP in this thread. I bought a bunch of Disney Gift Cards, all cardboard, from Target, to pay my DVC dues on 1/2/24. The first card I tried peeling the grey "scratch off" area off of, and it took half the account numbers and most of the EAN PIN code numbers. Gah! It was a $100 gift card, which is now useless.

I called DVC member services to ask what to do, and they recommended I call the Disney gift card number, which I did. The CM I spoke with said she couldn't help me, and she asked me to write an email to guest.service@disneygiftcard.com and she told me to attach a picture of the front and back of the card. I did this, and I also attached the Target receipt which showed the activation code.

Aaaaannnnd...nothing has happened. I've sent two follow up emails and I still have not gotten any response. I called the gift card number again yesterday to ask how to get a response, and the CM basically said, "Sorry...we're really busy. Be patient."

So, it's now 1/10/24 and I have heard nothing from WDW regarding this $100 gift card. Does anyone have any advice? This is the most un-Disney thing I've ever experienced. We have always enjoyed fantastic Disney customer service everywhere we go, and I'm honestly just really surprised. Plus, I have an unusable $100 gift card, that I'd really like access to.

Any phone numbers that I can call that would kick this issue up the chain of command (beyond the basic Disney Gift Card number) would be great. Any email addresses beyond the basic Disney Gift Card guest service email address would also be fantastic. Or, any other advice folks have would be great.

Thank you so much!!

P.S. I am now going to avoid the Disney cardboard gift cards completely. Lesson learned!

Hi friends! The same thing happened to me as the OP in this thread. I bought a bunch of Disney Gift Cards, all cardboard, from Target, to pay my DVC dues on 1/2/24. The first card I tried peeling the grey "scratch off" area off of, and it took half the account numbers and most of the EAN PIN code numbers. Gah! It was a $100 gift card, which is now useless.

I called DVC member services to ask what to do, and they recommended I call the Disney gift card number, which I did. The CM I spoke with said she couldn't help me, and she asked me to write an email to guest.service@disneygiftcard.com and she told me to attach a picture of the front and back of the card. I did this, and I also attached the Target receipt which showed the activation code.

Aaaaannnnd...nothing has happened. I've sent two follow up emails and I still have not gotten any response. I called the gift card number again yesterday to ask how to get a response, and the CM basically said, "Sorry...we're really busy. Be patient."

So, it's now 1/10/24 and I have heard nothing from WDW regarding this $100 gift card. Does anyone have any advice? This is the most un-Disney thing I've ever experienced. We have always enjoyed fantastic Disney customer service everywhere we go, and I'm honestly just really surprised. Plus, I have an unusable $100 gift card, that I'd really like access to.

Any phone numbers that I can call that would kick this issue up the chain of command (beyond the basic Disney Gift Card number) would be great. Any email addresses beyond the basic Disney Gift Card guest service email address would also be fantastic. Or, any other advice folks have would be great.

Thank you so much!!

P.S. I am now going to avoid the Disney cardboard gift cards completely. Lesson learned!
They can scan the cards at Disney so you can use them to pay for items. Doesn't help paying dues now...

@Carole Yeah, I've had to finish paying my dues with another form of payment. However, I want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly... If I bring this gift card to Disney with me when I go in March, they can somehow scan the card and I can use it, even with the numbers missing? Am I understanding that correctly?

I am confused why are people peeling the area of the GC? Just simply scratch with a coin and it works for both plastic and cardboard GC's. I have regularly scratched both with no issues. I beleive they are not designed to be peeled for security reasons like preventing theft.

Also, if the card has a mag strip or QR function than it can be scanned and used at Disney for purchases.

@comicguy I have just peeled the grey area off with no problems, because I've actually scratched too hard and accidentally scratched numbers off in the past. I realized that was with the old school plastic cards. Lesson learned...with the cardboard cards, peeling the grey area off doesn't work. I might just revert to buying gift cards online at Target. And, I'm dumb...what's a mag strip? I looked on my scratched up card and there is no QR code, but there is a weird looking little bar code down in the lower left corner on the back of the card. Is that a mag strip? Thanks so much for your help! :-)

Also, if the card has a mag strip or QR function than it can be scanned and used at Disney for purchases.
Some places require the pin code of the gift card when entering the gift card. I have used muliple gift card where the cashier had to scratch off the pin code to put it in before the system would except the gift card. I have no idea if Disney is this way but if there are then your SOL if not then the pin code doesn't matter.

I very rarely read anyone having luck getting money back or getting a replacement gift card. It's not worth the minimal savings you get.

@Carole Yeah, I've had to finish paying my dues with another form of payment. However, I want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly... If I bring this gift card to Disney with me when I go in March, they can somehow scan the card and I can use it, even with the numbers missing? Am I understanding that correctly?
Hi. Does your paper card have a barcode? If it does, then you are fine without the numbers. This barcode looks different than ones on other cards. I was able to use my card at several different places until it was used up.

I just had same issue. I had wanted to combine a few cards. My card does have magnetic strip, so hope can still use on-site. I did call and was told to email guest services too.

I had the same problem with peeling off the numbers. Someone suggested the app, Scandit. It will read the barcode on the card and give you the card # and EAN. I was able to use that to transfer the money onto another old card I had

@jadephoenixx Wow! I didn't know that app existed! I just downloaded it, and it is asking me for the type of barcode to scan. Trying to figure it out now. Keeping fingers crossed. Thanks for the tip!

Edit: I was able to get the account number...hooray! But I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong...the app doesn't give me the EAN/PIN code. Any advice on what I'm doing wrong? Halfway there!! Thank you!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter