Cass, Rob & Kira - Our MAGICal Christmas Cruise 2023

I was just looking for some Coke to bring home to my brother who was watching my dogs.

Oh look, a drink with a drink special. :p
289.jpg

290.jpg

They had some weird sized bottles here! We have different sizes in Canada compared to what there is in the USA but Mexico beats us all! :laughing:

291.jpg

I was hoping to find the real cane sugar Mexican Coke but after Googling it, I found out that they no longer produce it and haven't in ages! I don't speak Spanish but I could definitely make out enough to know that this was not the Coke I was looking for. :darth::rolleyes1

I ended up getting two different sized bottles for him and we got a bottle of Coca Cola Light, which is what they call Diet Coke. We brought that back with us and tried it the other day. It was the worst Diet Coke I have ever tasted. :crazy2:

I haven't asked my brother yet if he had tried his Coke to see if that was any better. :rolleyes:

292.jpg
The Coca-Cola Light is the most nasty of drinks there. I prefer the Coca-Cola Sin Azucar (Coke Zero). I think it's better than the Coke Zero here in the US. I need to get back to Mexico at some point.

As for the pushy vendors at the mall. Just ignore them. They'll usually talk to you but if you say No, they'll typically leave you alone. They're bad at Plaza 28 in Cancun. The bus drops you off at the Plaza when you're trying to get to Mercado 28. Let's just say, thanks to them I not only tried a Coke Light but I bought some jewelry too. Never again!

Part 1

I woke up just as we were turning around in the basin. There was a ship following us in but I couldn't tell which one it was.

489.jpg

490.jpg

We got ready to go, packed up the last minute toiletries and then took our bags and headed down to Lumieres for breakfast since we were ready just in time. Our table had a good view of where you leave the ship and you could see all of the luggage tags that had been called already.

491.jpg

492.jpg

Rob had his usual, Kira had a donut and a muffin and I skipped breakfast.

493.jpg

We said goodbye to Cris one last time and then off we went. Just as we were getting up, they called our tags, Red Mickey. :thumbsup2

494.jpg

We headed down to the luggage area and found all of our bags that we had put out the night before.

495.jpg

Went through Customs and then out to the front of the terminal. Skip was needing to take the shuttle over to Lot A but the line was insanely long so he walked over with us to our car and we dropped him off.

Said our sad goodbyes to Jen and Claire before we departed. Kira was crying as we were leaving the ship and by the time we got outside, Claire was crying. :sad::sad:

496.jpg

497.jpg

After we dropped Skip off, we headed towards Seawall Blvd, but we had a few stops to make. We stopped by real quick to get a better look at this church.

498.jpg

499.jpg

Our next stop was somewhere we were supposed to go the last time we were in Galveston when we did the Ghost Tour. We had booked this particular tour back in 2021 because it said they made a stop at Robert Durst's Galveston residence and Kira and I had just watched the documentary "The Jinx" and we had wanted to visit his house but our tour was so overbooked that we didn't have the time to stop there.

We drove by the old Normandy Inn, the very haunted building where we had definitely seen a ghost/demon. :tiptoe:

500.jpg

And we were both very shocked and saddened that the Robert Durst house was across the street and literally three houses away! :furious: We were so close!

Kira and I both love the theme song of the "The Jinx" and play it often and as she got out of the car, she played the tune on her phone. :joker:

501.jpg

502.jpg

503.jpg

I won't go into detail about what happened in this house but feel free to watch "The Jinx" and find out for yourself! Robert Durst's story is quite fascinating and the ending of the documentary is extraordinary! ::yes::

Okay, now onto something a little more family-friendly. :goodvibes

Every year, we make two stops to take Kira's photo. The first stop is in front of the Rainforest Café, next to Cha Cha.

504.jpg

Here she is over the years; these were all taken during our trips to Galveston for our Christmas cruises.

kira-rfc.jpg

Our second stop is not far, just across from the Convention Center, where we recreate a photo that Rob had taken of her way back in 2010, when she was only three years old and he had driven to Houston with his parents.

505.jpg

I sadly forgot to remind her to place her hands in front but of well. This is the photo I used because for some reason, it's the only one I took that shows her feet. It was pretty sunny out and it was hard for her to open her eyes.

506.jpg

This is my favourite one though.

507.jpg

And here she is over the years, in the same exact spot. :love:

kira-beach-2023.jpg

With her photos taken, it was now time to drive to Webster, where we would be spending the night.

I always get a kick out of this little place on the right just as you are leaving the island. There is a huge billboard that simply says "JESUS" and then right behind it is a gentlemen's club. :rolleyes1:rolleyes2

508.jpg

Speaking of documentaries, I watched "The Texas Killing Fields" about a year ago on Netflix and boy, was that an eye opener! :eek: :sad1:

It was about the dozens, if not hundreds of missing girls from this area. The series focuses on the area just south of Webster, close to League City that they have nicknamed the Texas Killings Fields but really, from just north of Webster (and up into Houston as well) and all the way to Galveston, is notorious for the hundreds of girls who have gone missing from the area since the 1960's. Most are unsolved missing persons cases but the series focuses on the area where they found 4 young girl's bodies in the same field.

It was heart wrenching to watch, especially since this area has brought so much joy and happiness and so many good memories to all three of us. I watched it again just before we left and made Rob watch it with me. Let's just say that we see this area in a different light now. :scared:

There is also a movie about it, with a similar name and it was pretty decent as well but if you enjoy those kinds of shows, please watch the documentary. :thumbsup2

It was still very early but we thought we would pop in at our hotel and check to see they had a room available for us. Unfortunately they did not. In fact, the guy was perplexed and seemed quite nervous that I was even asking and was worried that I would be mad if the room wasn't ready. :rotfl2:

I told him no worries, I was not expecting it but we were in the area so we thought we would check. He said to come back around noon so we decided to go get some breakfast at our favourite spot in Webster.

509.jpg

510.jpg

Stay tuned for our delicious breakfast and I promise there will be less talk of serial killers in the next chapter. Not zero talk, but definitely less. :rolleyes1:rotfl2:

I love a good photo spot tradition!! :) We do this with our son a lot, too. I'm here for all the Disney content, and a side of serial killer! 🤣

Part 2

Our favourite place to eat breakfast in Webster is a place called Snooze an AM Eatery, or just Snooze as we call it. :thumbsup2

511.jpg

It's always packed with locals, just like our Keke's in Florida, you know it's good when! ::yes::

513.jpg

512.jpg

It was about a 25 minute wait, not terrible. We have waited longer both here and in Florida at Keke's and both are worth the wait. :thumbsup2

514.jpg

515.jpg

By the time we ordered, the crowd had died down quite a bit, I even managed to capture a photo of the check in area without any people in it!

516.jpg

Rob had the oatmeal that he loves.

A1.JPG

I had my usual, ham and eggs and Kira just had a ham steak.

517.jpg

By the time we were done and headed back to our hotel, our room was ready.

I had decided to try a new hotel this trip. Even though we all do really love the Springhill Suites, I wanted to be on the other side of the I-45, as it's closer to Target and Cheesecake Factory and the mall that we were all planning to check out later today. The hotel was pretty cheap, the prices are much better in Webster than in Galveston, which is the whole reason we had started staying here. I think it was about $120 for a little suite that was massive.

518.jpg

519.jpg

520.jpg

521.jpg

522.jpg

523.jpg

Here's the view from our window. You can see the I-45 and the Webster tower.

I got us unpacked for the night and then I rearranged everything and repacked us for going home tomorrow. I wanted to do some shopping now but Kira was not interested at all. We were going to go to Box Lunch and Hot Topic and then Kohl's and Target and do some clothes shopping for Kira but she just wanted to chill in the room. Her social battery was drained and she needed some recharging.

With her not wanting to go anywhere, I cut my shopping list super short and just headed to Target. We made her secure the deadbolt and the security lock before we left the hallway, with strict instructions not to open it for anyone but us and then Rob and I headed out.

524.jpg

Here's a photo of the pool, which I had intended to use tonight but never got around to it.

Right behind our hotel was a huge forested area. Before seeing those documentaries, I never would have thought twice about it but looking out onto it that day, knowing what I know now, it seemed eerily creepy. :(

525.jpg

I did a quick run at Target and then I spotted a Hallmark store as we drove back and just had to stop! We have Hallmark stores where I live but they pretty much sell mostly cards.

I popped in real quick, okay, maybe not as quick as I told Rob I would be. :rolleyes1

You guys have all the cool stuff. :sad:

If I had the money and the luggage space, I would have bought half the store! :rolleyes2

526.jpg

527.jpg

528.jpg

The day before, Kira had shown me a photo that she took at Vibe of a Mandalorian dominoes set that she was geeking over and guess what? They had them here! That went under the tree for her once we got home. ::yes::

Her reaction was priceless! "How did you get them so fast????!!!!":rotfl2:

Our Christmas cruises are our Christmas gift but I always make sure there's some small items under the tree for her to unwrap. ;)

529.jpg

I had a small haul, all presents for other people. :goodvibes:thumbsup2

530.jpg

We headed straight back to the hotel and we spotted some deer as we were parking.

531.jpg

We chilled for a few hours and then it was time for dinner!

532.jpg

Another tradition for us when we stay in Webster.

533.jpg

534.jpg

535.jpg

This bread is the best! 🤤

536.jpg

537.jpg

I got my usual, the cheeseburger spring rolls. I had these in November with Jen, her mom and Claire in Anaheim and I had noticed that they were different. Instead of the cheese inside, in Anaheim, the cheese was a dip, on the side but because it was just hamburger inside, the stuffing kept falling out. It was pretty much the same here but I think they did have some cheese inside as well because they were not falling apart like they did in November.

Arrrrghhh, why did they change them? They were perfect the way they were! 😩

538.jpg

Rob got a stir fry dish.

539.jpg

Kira got the chicken tenders.

540.jpg

Rob and I got cheesecake and Kira got a brownie sundae. I don't have pics of theirs, sometimes I took video and forgot to take photos. Stay tuned for the videos. :laughing:

541.jpg

We were all wearing our matching Space Center Houston shirts that we bought in 2021 but you couldn't see Rob's and Kira's was covered most of the time too. :rotfl2:

542.jpg

We were completely exhausted so we skipped the pool and just headed to bed. :faint:

Stay tuned tomorrow for our journey home. ✈️

Part 1

We were able to sleep in this morning as our flight wasn't until just after 6pm and we were able to get a late check out. :thumbsup2

With all of our crap now packed properly for flying, we loaded it all up and off we went.

543.jpg

We gave Kira the choice of breakfasts and surprisingly she chose Waffle House. She said she had a hankering for a waffle. :rolleyes:

This was the one Waffle House around here that we had not been to yet. I reminded Rob that this particular WH had been featured in the documentary "The Texas Killing Fields." :rolleyes1

I won't spoil it for anyone but something happened here and it was a turning point for one of the cases that had major repercussions for a few of the others. ::yes::

We were wearing the shirts that we had bought on the ship, the Christmas green ones. This was not a good choice, more on that later. :rolleyes2

544.jpg

Z26.JPG

Kira was happy, she got her waffle. :thumbsup2

545.jpg

Once we were done with breakfast, we gassed up the vehicle and then headed for the airport.

546.jpg

547.jpg

We dropped off the 4Runner and then hopped on the shuttle to the terminal. Kira was being her funny self. :teeth:

548.jpg

When I had checked us in the day before, I was able to upgrade us to Premium seats on Westjet. They were dirt cheap, $70 each! :eek:

I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to do it because Kira and Rob were on one reservation from the last of our Avion points and I had paid cash for my ticket so I was on a different reservation. I had both my phone and my iPad open at the same time, simultaneously checking in both reservations and it worked. :cool1:

Rob and I were together in the two seats and then I put Kira in the same row, in the aisle, which is was I thought she preferred. When we surprised her with the upgrade at the airport, she was saddened that she didn't get the window seat. Apparently I was wrong. 😬

Oh well, I will know for next time! ::yes::

We checked in, dropped off our bags, including the two small ones (no charge) and then headed towards the side that had the TSA Pre-check.

549.jpg

We headed down to our gate to grab a seat but the area was packed! :crowded:

550.jpg

We had plenty of time so we headed back past the food court and grabbed some of the comfy seats that were there.

551.jpg

AA27.JPG

This was our view, security coming into the terminal and this weird tree emanating from Houston. :rotfl:

552.jpg

Rob went to go look at the stores for any NASA merch and then once he returned, I went to go look. I saw this super cute t-shirt, took a pic and then headed back to Rob and Kira to see if they were wanting it. The green DCL shirt was horribly itchy and there was no way I could wear it the rest of the day and not go mad. :furious:

I have recently discovered that I have sensory issues... by watching an Instagram reel. :rolleyes1

It came up in my feed and was titled "You know you have sensory issues when...Part 3." It listed about 9 things and I said YES to every dang one of them. Then I went to go find part 1 and 2 and I said yes to all of those too! :rolleyes: :scared:

Never thought of it as a sensory issue, I just thought it was a me problem, ya know? :rolleyes2

When I grew up, there were no labels for these things. It was a "you" problem and you dealt with it. I grew up saying that I was particular and picky about certain things.

I didn't even realize I had anxiety until I did all this research on it when Kira started showing major signs of anxiety a few years ago.

She would tell me how she feels about certain things or situations and I would be like.....ummm, hmmm, yeahhhh, I have that too. Oh and yeah, I feel that way as well! I just assumed everyone felt like that to a degree but then talking with Rob, who has zero anxiety, I found out that that's not the case. :rolleyes:

I would just chalk it up to me being me. An introvert...a very picky, anti-social introvert.

Nooooooooooooooo. :rolleyes1

It's called anxiety and it's real! :crazy:

Rob said he was good but Kira has even more sensory issues than I do and she said YES really fast! I went back and got the grey one for her and the pinky-purply one for me and then we went and changed into these wonderfully smooth and comfortable shirts and we were happy campers. :cool1::goodvibes

These shirts were $19 and we both love them. Those DCL ones, that we might not ever wear again were $35 each I think! I have noticed too that many of the Disney shirts are made with the same fabric. When I was in WDW last week, I found a couple of shirts that I liked but once I paid attention to the feel of the fabric, I realized that I could never wear them! Even after 2 washes, the green shirts are still scratchy. :crazy2:

So, yes, Houston I am the problem. :rolleyes1

553.jpg

It was now time to board.

554.jpg

These aren't as nice as Business Class on Air Canada but they sure beat economy seats! ::yes::

555.jpg

When Kira went to sit in her aisle seat, a lady was already sitting there. She didn't even look up at Kira, or us, she just sat there like she had claimed that seat and she was not moving. I double checked Kira's seat on her boarding pass and she was indeed in Kira's seat so I told Kira just to take the window seat and well, everyone got what they wanted I guess. :scratchin :p

We couldn't take our traditional plane selfie but when the lady got up to use the bathroom, I snapped this one of Kira.

556.jpg

557.jpg

Many of the buildings around Houston had red or green lights on the roof, which I thought was pretty cool!

558.jpg

Everyone settled in and we enjoyed our four and a half-hour flight back to Calgary.

559.jpg

They served us dinner too.

560.jpg

It wasn't overly fabulous but it hit the spot, as we were all getting kind of hungry.

561.jpg

I love how this city was just peeking out below the clouds. The Westjet app was not working at all, I can't remember why but they did say they were having issues with it so I have no idea what city this is but it was cool. :smooth:

562.jpg

Before long we were making our descent into Calgary and flew right past our house. :wave2:

563.jpg

And then right past downtown.

564.jpg

And back to our home and native land. 🇨🇦

565.jpg

We got through customs quickly and with no problems, gotta love that Nexus card! :woohoo:

All of our bags made it and then we headed to the shuttle to grab our vehicle from Park2Go.

566.jpg

We got home, dropped off the bags and while I unpacked, Rob and Kira went to get our puppies from their Uncle's house. They were very happy to see us all and be home again. :dogdance::dogdance:

And there you have it folks, another fantastic trip in the books! :love:

Kira is graduating in June and she will be going to University in Nova Scotia in September, if you can believe that! :scared1:

For those of you who don't know Canadian geography, that is on the other side of the dang country! It's further East than all of the United States! :sad1:

We won't know until October/November-ish for sure but we were thinking that this might be our last Christmas cruise for awhile. I am guessing that with her being gone from home and her doggies that she is going to want to come home for her Christmas break but you never know. :scratchin

Life is what happens when you're busy making plans. ;)

Thanks everyone for being a part of this one. I really appreciate all of the comments and kind words you have posted.:grouphug:

It might be awhile before the next one, so until then, adios, amoebas! :wave2:

I really identify with the Cabanas anxiety! We are early risers (we get up at 6am every day at home and my daughter is a major early bird), so we like to go to Cabanas right when it opens - it’s a wonderful experience then! Once it gets busy, I can’t really handle it.

Disney bingo really is an experience! It’s one of our favorite things to do, along with trivia, but we always bring earplugs and/or noise cancelling headphones (I’m OK with the crowd, but it can get SO LOUD and we’re rather noise sensitive).

I always TRY to go to Cabanas early but Rob and I are night owls and like to sleep in. Kira is a lark but with her coming in late from Vibe, she likes to sleep in too on cruises so we never make it until it's a madhouse. I have done early breakfast when I have cruised with friends so I do know how lovely and peaceful it is. :cloud9:

But when it's busy, I just can't handle it. The noises, the crowds, the insanity is just too much for me! :crazy2:

You're right it is so loud! Ear plugs! What a genius idea! I always skip it because it's just not my vibe but it was for Kira so...the things you do for your kids, right? :rolleyes1
Hi, Cass!!! I am super late to the party, but just stumbled across this trippie I had no idea you were writing! I'm all binged through and caught up now :) My Mom and I are heading out on the Magic in March, sailing out of NOLA. She's my last of the original 4 ships to sail, so I'm pretty excited. Loving the report so far and taking note of lots of things I want to see on our cruise! It's also bringing back fond memories of our Very Merry Cruise in 2019 over Christmas--it was so magical, I can't wait to sail at Christmas again someday.

Hope you're enjoying a magical week at WDW!!! Looking forward to your return :)

-Jackie

You are never too late, Miss Jackie! :flower:

Ohhh, out of NOLA!! I am jealous!! I would love to do that one someday! ::yes:: Have so much fun!!! :woohoo:

Loving the TR, as usual, Cass! It's nice to read now we have finally done a cruise.
The audience behaviour during the shows was very disappointing to us, as we really loved them. The flamingo is so cool and now I am pondering using Flamboyance as part of my news puppy's show name 😂
Where is your anniversary TR?
Thanks for writing, you have the best style.

Awww, thanks for the very lovely and kind words! :hug:

Lol, flamboyance would be a fantastic puppy show name. :lmao::love:

I did not write a trip report for my anniversary trip, sorry. I usually only write them when all three of us are travelling. I did make 6 awesome videos though on my YouTube channel. ;)

The Coca-Cola Light is the most nasty of drinks there. I prefer the Coca-Cola Sin Azucar (Coke Zero). I think it's better than the Coke Zero here in the US. I need to get back to Mexico at some point.

As for the pushy vendors at the mall. Just ignore them. They'll usually talk to you but if you say No, they'll typically leave you alone. They're bad at Plaza 28 in Cancun. The bus drops you off at the Plaza when you're trying to get to Mercado 28. Let's just say, thanks to them I not only tried a Coke Light but I bought some jewelry too. Never again!

You are so right, it was real nasty! :crazy2:

Hmm, maybe we will try that one next time! Rob likes Coke Zero but I do not.

We always politely say No thank you but it gets annoying after awhile, you know? :rolleyes:

I haven't been to Cancun and honestly, I have no desire to either. :scared:

Your trip reports are great. 😊

Awww, thank you!! :hug:

Haha less talk of serial killers...but still some talk 😂🤣🤣 Yay for continuing the photo tradition too 😍

Hee hee, I'm weird, I know! :laughing:

Love me a good traditional photo op. :goodvibes

I love a good photo spot tradition!! :) We do this with our son a lot, too. I'm here for all the Disney content, and a side of serial killer! 🤣

I love them too! Both the photo traditions and serial killer docs! :cool::rotfl:

MmmmmCheesecake Factory 🤤🤤🤤 Great price on your hotel room (suite!) so spacious!

I wish we had them here! Yum!

Yeah, it was a great deal, great room, great location! We might be back. :scratchin:rotfl2:

Heads up. That is a seasonal item and not currently on the spring menu if you’re heading to another one soon.

Oh really? The cheeseburger egg rolls you mean? Wow, I didn't know that. Every time I visit one, I order them and they are always on the menu. Good to know! :thumbsup2

Although, I might have to try new things now because I don't like what they've done to them! :rolleyes:

NEVERMIND! I just realized this was about the oatmeal, duh! I replied down below. :p

Last edited:
Kira was crying as we were leaving the ship and by the time we got outside, Claire was crying. :sad::sad:

You know it's a good trip when the tears come out.

And we were both very shocked and saddened that the Robert Durst house was across the street and literally three houses away!

OMG, She acted like it was far away. I'll look for the documentary.

Great cruise! It was so much fun. And I do expect you to go next year!!!!!!!!!

Oh and Claire is standing by me as I read this and I showed her the crying pics....and she teared back up. It's so hard to leave good people and a good cruise !

$70 for an upgrade to Premium on WJ is fantastic!! Glad you were able to take advantage and that Kira ended up with her window seat :rotfl2:

Uni of Nova Scotia?? Wow, good for her but yeah, your mama heart is happy and sad at the same time :hug:

Heads up. That is a seasonal item and not currently on the spring menu if you’re heading to another one soon.

I just realized you were talking about the oatmeal and not Cheesecake Factory! Ooops! :rolleyes:

We have only ever been to Snooze in December so the oatmeal has always been on the menu. But good to know for the future! :thumbsup2

You know it's a good trip when the tears come out.

OMG, She acted like it was far away. I'll look for the documentary.

Great cruise! It was so much fun. And I do expect you to go next year!!!!!!!!!

Yes! You know it's a good cruise when! :sad:

Yeah, we thought it was really far away too! We could have easily spent the 5 minutes to cross the street! I mean, we spent a good 15 minutes at the Normandy Inn! :rolleyes2

You have very high expectations! :rolleyes1

Guess we will see what happens when she actually moves to NS! :teeth:

Oh and Claire is standing by me as I read this and I showed her the crying pics....and she teared back up. It's so hard to leave good people and a good cruise !

Awwwww, we miss you Claire! :hug: :sad1:

$70 for an upgrade to Premium on WJ is fantastic!! Glad you were able to take advantage and that Kira ended up with her window seat :rotfl2:

Uni of Nova Scotia?? Wow, good for her but yeah, your mama heart is happy and sad at the same time :hug:

Right?! It's often $400 or more! We snapped that up real quick! I didn't even check in right when I could, I waited a good 10-15 minutes because we had already had our seats picked! I was shocked! :eek:

Uh-huh! Nova SCOTIA!!! :worried:

I am happy for her and I know it's going to be a great experience for her but yeah, 💔❤️‍🩹

The good thing is that the year ends in mid-April and they literally get kicked out of residence so she will be home from mid-April until end of August. :teeth:

Kira is graduating in June and she will be going to University in Nova Scotia in September, if you can believe that! :scared1:

For those of you who don't know Canadian geography, that is on the other side of the dang country! It's further East than all of the United States! :sad1:

We won't know until October/November-ish for sure but we were thinking that this might be our last Christmas cruise for awhile. I am guessing that with her being gone from home and her doggies that she is going to want to come home for her Christmas break but you never know. :scratchin

Life is what happens when you're busy making plans. ;)

Thanks everyone for being a part of this one. I really appreciate all of the comments and kind words you have posted.:grouphug:

It might be awhile before the next one, so until then, adios, amoebas! :wave2:

Although if you come all the way over to Nova Scotia to visit her, you can maybe pop down to NYC for a cruise! (I’m holding out hope for 2025. They have to come back, right?!?)

Love the trip report as usual!! So exciting for Kira...Nova Scotia happens to be my home province! I am sure she will love it as most people do. Is she coming to a large university in Halifax or one of the smaller ones? I'm a St FX alumni myself lol. As her parents, you must come visit!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter